Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:32 PM

21 posts, read 57,026 times

Advertisements

Thanks Rustybolt! I'm fortunate here. With my goats, chickens, horse and three dogs I only get turkeys and deer who come to visit. We've been fortunate. We have 5 acres here in NJ. What do you consider "acreage" there in relation to critters.

Just got my notice that my phone interview is this Friday. I will ask lots of questions after that and search for answers on here.

Thanks again everyone for your input. Any other suggestions for a Jersey boy looking to move to Boerne area please don't hesitate to ask. I'm looking to assimilate not stand out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 06:33 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Let's see if you get the job first, eh? We get so many looking for advice, then not getting a job offer etc....they just disappear.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:14 PM

63 posts, read 116,951 times
My husband is allergic to wasps. he carries his Epi pen everywhere. There are lots of wasps here especially if you live out in the outskirts. We have 2 acres and lots of trees. The wasps come every time we water the plants. He hasn't been stung by bees so not sure if he would be allergic to them but he has pretty nasty reaction to fire ants too.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,730 times

Old 09-04-2015, 08:15 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
I always here about 'Chiggers' when I go back to Texas. I still don't know what the hell those are or what they look like.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Out here in the hills, we mostly have rat snakes, which some ignorant people mistake for rattlesnakes. Rat snakes aren't a problem, really. Scorpions aren't so bad. You can learn to be careful, and then you'll rarely get stung. Yes, they're around here, under mulch, rocks, occasionally they come inside (then I'll kill them, but not outside). Fire ants...again, learn to be careful...don't step on their mounds. And if you do, there's a dance you learn real quick! Jump away, yell like a crazy weirdo, brush them off as much as possible, then go get the rest off and treat the bites. It's the skeeters that I really hate! I'm their preferred source of blood meals. Oh, almost forgot...ticks, I HATE them!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:47 PM

123 posts, read 258,073 times
When we moved here 4 years ago we lived in a subdivision on the far west side. Ended up with a rattlesnake in our garage after living there a month. It was a 2 1/2-3 ft diamond back.

2 years later we moved to a subdivision in Helotes. Our house was next to an open field where we spotted several more rattlesnakes. We had scorpions in the garage and one in our master bathroom.

We had wasps and ants at both places, but we would just treat for them regularly.

We now live smack in the middle of town, right off I10. We still have wasps and ants. We have raccoons, opossums, and skunks living in our neighborhood.
Thankfully, I haven't seen any scorpions since moving to our new location, and the only snake I've seen was a Texas Blind Snake.

My son has seen armadillos in the Dominion.

My anecdotal evidence says that there are critters everywhere here.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:06 AM

12 posts, read 22,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSpiderWeb View Post

My anecdotal evidence says that there are critters everywhere here.
Right, just like everywhere else…but there are unusual critters who reside in TX. I learned about the cute little lizards, the enormously huge silly flying palmera beetles, and the massively huge red wasps.

in fact, I miss the great state of TX soooo much except for these three deal-breakers. lol

Old 09-09-2015, 12:07 AM

432 posts, read 523,504 times
What happened to all the armadillos from 50 years ago ? Migrated ? Extinct ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio