Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:57 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
I thought stone oak was the place to move to?
Nope. Stone Oak is just one of many options here but certainly not "the place" to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:03 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I didn't know any "ultra lounge" like places were open anymore. Thought those died out years ago.
I think as long the Nationals from another country keep moving to stone oak, I think those lounges will exist there.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Quote:
I thought stone oak was the place to move to?
No way. It is middle to upper middle class suburbia. Many people love that. Those thugs live in a completely different area of town. Stone Oak does love the "ultra lounges" that attract that crowd though.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:20 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
No.
Explain. Please . we were looking into the area along with Johnson ranch , spring Branch , but the last two seem too far out. Where should one look on the 281? I don't want to be on a well , most if not all of timberwood park looked to be on a well

Old 09-06-2015, 01:44 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
Quote:
Explain. Please . we were looking into the area along with Johnson ranch , spring Branch , but the last two seem too far out. Where should one look on the 281? I don't want to be on a well , most if not all of timberwood park looked to be on a well
New construction in olmos park if you have the money, only way to guarantee being in the "safest" community. Olmos Drive | PSW Real Estate

Old 09-06-2015, 02:17 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
People move to Stone Oak for schools not hipness. As to the bars, they are not wanted by most of the families here and it is predominantly a family area. Sure we get together at Copa for some wine but that's a different crowd from an ultra lounge. I never see any cars there when I drive by so it must open pretty late.

The shooting was not a normal occurrence, although as pretty much anywhere in the US, there is always the chance of violence wherever you go. You would be very safe from random violence in Stone Oak. As to the bars, I've already been in a discussion with some other moms who are looking to petition the building owners to not renew leases or at least not allow new bars in once a business closes - the rent is sky high in SO which makes it hard to stay in business.

So if you are looking for cool, young, hip or hipsters Stone Oak is not the place. For excellent schools, family activity, churches, great shopping, and neighborhoods where kids still play outside SO could be a consideration if you are looking along 281 (not the 281 please). Neighborhoods run from middle class (low $200k probably with the market up) all the way to million dollar homes up in the hills in gated/guarded neighborhoods. In my world that's a bit high for upper middle class in San Antonio but I'm from Texas so my perception is based on my experience here.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
People move to Stone Oak for schools not hipness. As to the bars, they are not wanted by most of the families here and it is predominantly a family area. Sure we get together at Copa for some wine but that's a different crowd from an ultra lounge. I never see any cars there when I drive by so it must open pretty late.

The shooting was not a normal occurrence, although as pretty much anywhere in the US, there is always the chance of violence wherever you go. You would be very safe from random violence in Stone Oak. As to the bars, I've already been in a discussion with some other moms who are looking to petition the building owners to not renew leases or at least not allow new bars in once a business closes - the rent is sky high in SO which makes it hard to stay in business.

So if you are looking for cool, young, hip or hipsters Stone Oak is not the place. For excellent schools, family activity, churches, great shopping, and neighborhoods where kids still play outside SO could be a consideration if you are looking along 281 (not the 281 please). Neighborhoods run from middle class (low $200k probably with the market up) all the way to million dollar homes up in the hills in gated/guarded neighborhoods. In my world that's a bit high for upper middle class in San Antonio but I'm from Texas so my perception is based on my experience here.
My kids aren't even school age anymore ( youngest is in college ) but we are considering SO because the area is beautiful, especially the Wilderness Oaks area.. That's my opinion of course but I think a lot of people agree. Hopefully they'll figure out how to control the bar situation.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:47 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
Bobcat4 if you do begin a petition or hear of any liquor license hearings, please post here or PM me...I was saying the same thing to my husband yesterday. It's strange area for those bars, and yes, the rents are high, so they don't last long...but another comes along to take its place...

Old 09-06-2015, 04:01 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
This is why old money areas are always the most stable. Olmos Park, Alamo Heights, etc...Families have been there for generations, are more vested in the community and have more control over what comes to town. You can even drive over 25 mph without getting pulled over.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:38 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,207 times
Alamo heights is nice and I like it there, but I don't want to be dab smack in the middle of the city . I love like n the outskirts , you enjoy both worlds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio