Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 PM

102 posts, read 128,751 times

Advertisements

Hello I am researching the areas above to possibly move into, I am on a somewhat tight budget and these areas seem very decent for the prices available. I would just like to hear opinions and experiences on these parts of town; such as crime, enviornment, and how you see these areas evolving in the future, among anything else you would like to add.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Those are probably some of the worst of the semi suburban areas. I see them becoming extensions of the west side in the near future if they already aren't.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:35 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Marbach/410 is a little rough, lots of graffiti, panhandlers, people stealing in the grocery store or doing dumb things in the parking lot, etc. The apartments on Marbach right at 410 look a little run down, the ones that are further west on Marbach don't look that bad. They'e building a lot of nice new ones between 151 and Marbach.

There are some decent looking apartments between Ingram and Culebra off of 410, never lived in any of them so I don't know how they really are. Also there are apartments on Potranco between Culebra and 151 that aren't too expensive and look okay. If you go to the Walmart at Military and 410, that will give you a pretty good idea of the area.

If you have a car, it would probably be better to look along 1604 for a place to live than along 410. If you don't have a car, then the buses are more likely to be convenient if you're living along 410.

If you're considering buying a house, that's kind of a different issue as far as how the area will be long-term.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:59 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimoso48 View Post
Hello I am researching the areas above to possibly move into, I am on a somewhat tight budget and these areas seem very decent for the prices available. I would just like to hear opinions and experiences on these parts of town; such as crime, enviornment, and how you see these areas evolving in the future, among anything else you would like to add.

Thank you
West Side II

Old 09-11-2015, 05:29 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I looked in the Ingram/Culebra area when I worked at 410/90. I wanted a shorter commute from the 410/Jackson Keller area. In the end I passed on those areas and moved to the Bandera/410/edge of the Medical center. Yes, deecent, is a good word for it. I asked some of the newer complexes what type of population lived in the apartments and the nicer ones said it was primaily military since Lackland is close. So, the pricer ones may be a bit quieter and more well kept, but ultimately, you'll still be in the areas with graffiti, some gang violence and quite a bit of property crime. I would reccomend moving a bit further east to the areas I ended up in, 78229 and 78240. There are areas in those zips where you can get some safer apartments. Do not hesitate to ask about specific complexes as you get closer to narrowing down your search. Also, knowing you budget and where you will be working.going to school will help us give you some better ideas. For a nice insight into the area check out the recent Jay football thread as well.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 PM

102 posts, read 128,751 times
Thank you for the responses. I will be working in the alamo downs area and my budget is $650 for a one bedroom. I do want to have close access to bus lines to get to work. Some places that I noticed are silver oaks between ingram and culebra and deer creek apartments on culebra.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:43 PM

733 posts, read 1,046,900 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I will be working in the alamo downs area and my budget is $650 for a one bedroom. I do want to have close access to bus lines to get to work. Some places that I noticed are silver oaks between ingram and culebra and deer creek apartments on culebra.
woops disregard

Old 09-11-2015, 05:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
If you're working at Alamo Downs and relying on the bus for transportation, then it sounds like a good area for you. The one on Culebra is not far from a grocery store and a library. If you like to ride bicycles, both complexes are probably not far from access to the Leon Creek greenway trail, which is a wonderful place to ride.

Most of the property crime that happens in apartments around here involves cars getting broken into. If you don't have a car, then that's not as much of a concern.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Agreed with Hedgehog_Mom on staying where you're at. There is one or two apartments that butt up to a trailhead, i think the Border Brook trailhead (one right after the Ingram trailhead) that would easily get you right to the trail, Timbers Edge. It looks like they are also winthin your budget.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:06 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Silver Oaks will be fine for you. You can also look at Doral Club, Timber Ridge Apts, Dymaxion, and Deer Creek. Those are all in that area (most just feet from Culebra) and close to bus lines and seem to fit your budget.

I have lived in this area for 28yrs and have had a break in (2010) as well as a vehicle break in (2001) but to me if you stay in the same place almost 30 years (in my case) the law of averages is going to catch up to you. I dont think any area is completely free of it. I still am perfectly happy living on this side of town.

Try to take what you read here with a grain of salt. Most will have you believe that anywhere that isnt 281/Stone Oak or Alamo Ranch or any other newer development outside of the city is a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: