Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:34 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
That number will likely grow being that I've heard that many Florida people are moving to Texas.
Are you sure that it's the Jews that are moving? or the Gentiles?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
That's a nice part of town. I think that subdivision is Warwick Farms, but I could be wrong. It's outside 410 but inside 1604, and close to I-10. Also it's near to the new Alon center, which has the new HEB with, according to my friend who is Jewish, one of the best Kosher food selections he's ever seen.

That area is north of Castle Hills and southish of Shavano Park and is middle to upper middle class. I am not sure what the school district is, as the people I know who live in the area (in Whispering Oaks) send their kids to St. Mathew's on Wurzbach. I'm assuming it's NISD but surely someone else will know for sure.
I think the kids would go to Oak Meadow and Churchill. Not sure about the middle school though. It's in NEISD, that area is right on the line of NEISD/NISD border. The Shavano Creek side of Huebner is NISD and the other side is NEISD, then if you aren't familiar with the area it becomes a bit confusing. It's like the Inwood area where one side is NISD and the other side is NEISD. Many friendships are lost when kids go to school, the NISD kids are Clark the NEISD kids are Churchill.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
Oak Meadow Elementary feeds into Jackson Middle School. Check the NEISD website for the boundary search engine. It allows you to put in the street name and the search engine will tell you all you need to know.

North East ISD Search for School by Street

Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Just a tad of history on longtime Jewish families in San Antonio.

Anton and Daniel Oppenheimer were brothers who immigrated to America before the Civil War. They both fought in the war and settled in San Antonio. Daniel's son, Frederick J Oppenheimer married Lucille Joske, daughter of Alex Joske of San Antonio's historical department store fame. Other related names were Rosenthal's, Halff's, Cohen's, Goldstein's and many others from the 1800's.

Frederick Oppenheimer was an attorney....he and his wife Lucille Joske Oppenheimer took over Joskes after the death of her parents.

Some of these families lived in King William, near North downtown and later Terrell Hills and surrounding areas....and are now scattered throughout San Antonio. Many of their descendants still live in the area and have supported many huge philanthropic organizations and projects in San Antonio over the last century.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
I have seen quite a few orthodox Jewish families walking down Blanco in the Churchill area. I think there is a temple hidden near The Melting Pot.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
The Chabad House.

Chabad Lubavitch - Torah, Judaism and Jewish Info

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Just a tad of history on longtime Jewish families in San Antonio.

Anton and Daniel Oppenheimer were brothers who immigrated to America before the Civil War. They both fought in the war and settled in San Antonio. Daniel's son, Frederick J Oppenheimer married Lucille Joske, daughter of Alex Joske of San Antonio's historical department store fame. Other related names were Rosenthal's, Halff's, Cohen's, Goldstein's and many others from the 1800's.

Frederick Oppenheimer was an attorney....he and his wife Lucille Joske Oppenheimer took over Joskes after the death of her parents.

Some of these families lived in King William, near North downtown and later Terrell Hills and surrounding areas....and are now scattered throughout San Antonio. Many of their descendants still live in the area and have supported many huge philanthropic organizations and projects in San Antonio over the last century.
Enlightening info!:-)

Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 PM

142 posts, read 339,045 times
The jews have added a great deal to the vibrancy of San Antonio.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 AM

130 posts, read 126,667 times
We always do!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,379 times
I moved from Fl to Texas, and my family is Jewish although I don't consider myself one since I do not practice the religion. I am happy to get away from the Jewish population in FL as I find most to fit the stereotypes including most of my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio