Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,059 times

Advertisements

Do we have any U-Verse San Antonio customers that have switched over from Time Warner Cable?

I'm thinking of making the switch since TWC's service is horrible and their product is not very reliable... at least from my personal experience. Also, I recently made some changes in my TWC bill that would have resulted in a lower price. Got my new bill and they jacked up my package by $20. I done with them.

How reliable has your internet connection been? I've had to reboot my TWC cable 3-5 times in the past year. At least half of these instances were do to power outages, so TWC's internet seems pretty reliable. Is ATT just as reliable?

Do you feel that you're getting much more value for your money? How so?

How is AT&T's customer service?

Long term, do you feel U-Verse will be a superior product/technology overall?

I really like U-Verse's interface, as opposed to Time Warner's dated, cumbersome menus.

Please chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
I am dying to switch to U-verse... my TW bill is ridiculous and the internet service craps out all the time, requiring a modem reboot at least 3-4x a week. Sadly, even though I live in '09, apparently I'm still on the "wrong side of the tracks" and my 'hood isn't served by U-verse yet. Hello... AT&T? Can you get your $%^&! in gear and roll this out to the older neighborhoods a little faster?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 PM

323 posts, read 829,286 times
I thought about switching also. I can't stand that my cable bill is more expensive than my car insurance. I'm just not so sure about the service from AT&T. Has U-Verse proved itself yet?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,305 times
Hmmmm...monopoly, or monopoly? From my experience, TWC is the lesser of the two evils, and from what I've read, all you have to do is tell them that you're going to switch to UVerse, and they'll lower your price. It's about time I tried that tactic out...

Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
Do we have any U-Verse San Antonio customers that have switched over from Time Warner Cable?

Please chime in.
We've had Uverse since August 2006. There were more blips in the beginning, but it has improved. We used to have to reboot the box often. It is an internet based TV product (IPTV). We have the U200 package with internet. We used to have TWC, and we are paying at least $30 more than we are now. Plus, we have DVR on our family room TV (included).

Because it was a new product, we were willing to put up with occasional glitches, especially since the first few months were free. They have really worked to get things worked out, and it shows.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
One problem for a lot of folks: You can't tell them that you're switching to U-Verse, if U-Verse isn't available in your neighborhood yet.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 PM

323 posts, read 829,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
One problem for a lot of folks: You can't tell them that you're switching to U-Verse, if U-Verse isn't available in your neighborhood yet.
I need to call and find out. When I put my address in the availability checker, it says that it is not. If I put the address of the house next door, it is available. I wonder if it is because it is a new house, and the only service that has ever been used is TWC.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
I need to call and find out. When I put my address in the availability checker, it says that it is not. If I put the address of the house next door, it is available. I wonder if it is because it is a new house, and the only service that has ever been used is TWC.

if you call ATT customer service 866-263-7221, you can ask them to send you an e-mail to let you know when u-verse is arriving in your hood. i cancelled TW 2 months ago and have made the leap to having no cable. i'm able to read books that i had always wanted to read instead of watching mindless lifetime movies.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
We've had Uverse since August 2006. There were more blips in the beginning, but it has improved. We used to have to reboot the box often. It is an internet based TV product (IPTV). We have the U200 package with internet. We used to have TWC, and we are paying at least $30 more than we are now. Plus, we have DVR on our family room TV (included).

Because it was a new product, we were willing to put up with occasional glitches, especially since the first few months were free. They have really worked to get things worked out, and it shows.
I have had U-Verse since April 07 and switched from TWC. We did have some initial glitches that have since been resolved (occasional freezing of screen, audio and video out of sync) but since about October when they did some major upgrade, we rarely have any issue at all - and certainly less problems than we did with TWC.

As other posters have said, this is IPTV so the one thing that I HATED was getting used to the DVR. The Fast-Forward works way too fast. But, like anything else, you get used to the difference and learn to use it the right way.

I have never had a single problem with my Internet going down (common with my TWC Roadrunner) and never once has the TV gone out as in - no signal period, which would happen occasionally with TWC.

I have the U-400 package which, in all honesty is way more than we really need, as we never really watch any of the bazillion extra Cinemax, Showtime etc etc. I should lower down to the U-200, but I'm lazy.

I don't think TWC offers a bad product. But to listen to my wife B***H every month when the cable bill came and it was an extra buck or two each month it seemed like, and the fact that I blew threw multiple cable modems and TV-top boxes over a few years, it was worth it to switch and enjoy a lower price.

Oh, and I think we have more HD channels than TWC.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post

I'm thinking of making the switch since TWC's service is horrible and their product is not very reliable... at least from my personal experience. Also, I recently made some changes in my TWC bill that would have resulted in a lower price. Got my new bill and they jacked up my package by $20. I done with them.

How reliable has your internet connection been? I've had to reboot my TWC cable 3-5 times in the past year. At least half of these instances were do to power outages, so TWC's internet seems pretty reliable. Is ATT just as reliable?

Do you feel that you're getting much more value for your money? How so?

How is AT&T's customer service?

Long term, do you feel U-Verse will be a superior product/technology overall?

I really like U-Verse's interface, as opposed to Time Warner's dated, cumbersome menus.

Please chime in.

How did your bill jump $20? what did they add to your bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio