Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:57 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry Appraiser View Post
The lord asks for no judgement when giving. Do you tithe b/c you know exactly where the money goes? Or is it the spirit of giving? Giving doesn't somehow increase your chances to be in heaven....giving is to built to benefit us. It is to teach us how to keep God first in our lives and how to be unselfish people. Unselfish people make better husbands, wives, friends, relatives, employees and employers. Donating money to a man on the side of the road I could argue is more noble than donating to Saint Judes Research. Honestly for me... seeing a fellow brother in the human being experience asking for help is the the definition of humbleness. Being a proud stubborn man that I am I can not imagine asking for help from anybody. So I give to every person on the side of the rd as long as I have cash in my pocket. Not one of us can be certain whether he is addicted to something or just down on his luck. I am sure I have given $ to a addict just looking for a score...but I am just as sure I have given money to another truly hungry man also. Every time I have ever given any thing whether money, sweat or time......I have seen it come back to me three fold.
Hot tip for you: Toys R Us parking lot, 410 and San Pedro area. 2 guys with backpacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:43 AM

275 posts, read 185,650 times
The pandhandlers are spreading around 1604 from 281 to I10 and East I10 towards 410.
They dont look too aggresive but you never know, so I lock my car's doors which I never did in the Chicago outburbs. Such a pain, it makes San Antonio look bad, I am surprised the authorities allow them to roam around traffic lights, it is not safe for both, motorists and the pandhandlers.
Funny thing about SAPD, my husband got a foot injury around a month ago so he got one of those special boots and a limp, well, a police in a bicicle at the HEB plus at Blanco started harrasing him in the parking lot when he was trying to find one of those fire engine carts for our 3yo....so really SAPD? you dont say a bip to the guys at the traffic light running on the road btween cars, but you start asking questions to a middle age phd with a foot injury...Where is the logic there?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM

108 posts, read 119,579 times
Sometimes when I am waiting for the light at Zaramora and Military the panhandlers are everywhere. They disappear and I don't know why till I see a police car. I have seen the cops make the panhandler tear up his sign. Not much of a deterrent I guess but it does send a message.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
The pandhandlers are spreading around 1604 from 281 to I10 and East I10 towards 410.
They dont look too aggresive but you never know, so I lock my car's doors which I never did in the Chicago outburbs. Such a pain, it makes San Antonio look bad, I am surprised the authorities allow them to roam around traffic lights, it is not safe for both, motorists and the pandhandlers.
Funny thing about SAPD, my husband got a foot injury around a month ago so he got one of those special boots and a limp, well, a police in a bicicle at the HEB plus at Blanco started harrasing him in the parking lot when he was trying to find one of those fire engine carts for our 3yo....so really SAPD? you dont say a bip to the guys at the traffic light running on the road btween cars, but you start asking questions to a middle age phd with a foot injury...Where is the logic there?
I'm curious where the logic is in your post. You dislike SAPD not going after panhandlers and you dislike it when they do go after a relative acting suspiciously in a parking lot. Are there some details missing? Because to me, it sounds like your husband could have been mistaken for a parking lot panhandler and that is something I'd like for them to curtail when I'm shopping at HEB.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:56 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
Just saw on NBC news where Albuquerque is putting panhandlers to work cleaning up the city and blighted properties. They go around with vans picking them up. They get paid for the work. Would much rather see this happening than them asking for a handout.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 PM

275 posts, read 185,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I'm curious where the logic is in your post. You dislike SAPD not going after panhandlers and you dislike it when they do go after a relative acting suspiciously in a parking lot. Are there some details missing? Because to me, it sounds like your husband could have been mistaken for a parking lot panhandler and that is something I'd like for them to curtail when I'm shopping at HEB.
Walking with a fire engine cart would make you look like a pandhandler?
The only thing it might have looked strange would have been the limp, but instead of asking where he lived and what he was doing in an HEB plus , maybe it would have been nicer to ask if he was ok? I dont know, that might have been too smart
I still think that policeman time would have been better spent taking care that the Actual pandhandlers were not driven over a car.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:35 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
SAPD doesn't routinely patrol HEB stores & parking lots, although HEB does employ private security patrols, which in some cases could be off-duty SAPD officers, I suppose. I often see them in front of the store, and sometimes patrolling the parking lot on foot, bicycle, or Segway, to discourage thieves, and panhandlers, I suppose.

The HEB where I most frequently shop has "No solicitation or distribution of literature" signs posted around the parking lot. I was approached there one morning at that store while loading groceries into my vehicle, by a man making an appeal for "monetary assistance". I usually only see security visible at that store during the evenings.

Panhandlers will often canvass parking lots of retail stores, where lots of people come and go, targeting people who are about load purchases in their vehicle. The panhandlers will also often have (or at least create the appearance of) a disability, or an injury. It could be that security spotted your husband limping through the parking lot, with a boot on his foot, and thought he fit the description of a typical panhandler. As a legitimate customer, it would be best to report something like that to store management, as the officer was almost certainly employed by them and acting at their direction, at that time.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
HEB mostly has contract security officers. They aren't peace officers, and they aren't directly employed by HEB. These are people with a week of training or less for their security license.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:44 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
HEB mostly has contract security officers. They aren't peace officers, and they aren't directly employed by HEB. These are people with a week of training or less for their security license.
They use those guys in the parking lots, however, they use off-duty Police Officers in the store. Stop by the HEB Market Place @ Bandera & 410, go inside and see.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
They use those guys in the parking lots, however, they use off-duty Police Officers in the store. Stop by the HEB Market Place @ Bandera & 410, go inside and see.
The worst HEB locations will have off-duty police officers and some will have armed security. Most locations don't utilize peace officers or even armed security. They'll have unarmed security in the evenings. When I worked security at HEB for a contractor, I patrolled inside and outside. Some locations will have an in-house loss prevention person in a yellow shirt standing near the doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio