U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 05:06 AM

856 posts, read 675,459 times

Advertisements

Extracted from Nextdoor...

I just spoke to Captain Laura Andersen of SAPD North Patrol. This is what is going on at the Blanco and 1604 shopping centers and she asked me to get the word out. She informed me that SAPD is well aware of the hundreds of aggressive panhandlers in this area. What is happening is these people are from Haven for Hope. Everyday these people are given a free bus ticket to go out and get a job. They ... View more go to either North Star Mall or Blanco and 1604 and panhandle. They are aggressive because she said every penny goes to heroin. Capt Anderson said PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY. It is all used for heroin. Some of them are more aggressive and steal your purses or make other demands but they are wanting money for heroin. SAPD arrests them and they are released and they go back to Haven for Hope and get their bus ticket the next day all over again. Capt Anderson has asked me to get this out and to please tell everyone to NOT give them money so they will eventually stop going there. Also, be very careful in that area. There are SAPD SAFFE (San Antonio Fear Free Environment) officers in these areas that are very aware of this problem and doing all they can. We can help by staying alert and not supporting any type of panhandling.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 05:47 AM

7,001 posts, read 10,936,091 times
Your link doesn't work, and your thread title is misleading. Giving them a bus ticket to go wherever they need to go is not the same as busing them to a certain area. Haven for Hope has no control over how people use their bus tickets.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:46 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,155,937 times
Thanks for sharing, flashfearless.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,037 posts, read 34,517,574 times
I wish that Chief McManus would dust off his plans to crack down on roadside panhandling that he announced a couple of years back. I'm not sure the political winds favor it at this time, though. But they might.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:48 AM

905 posts, read 1,431,540 times
Well, they sure are pushing the homeless out of downtown, especially Commerce St area and around the new construction West of UTSA campus downtown. Soon you will not see homeless people downtown, like in New York City.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:58 AM

2,649 posts, read 6,751,289 times
This is the best thing I have ever read in my life, I can just imagine the hysterics going on behind all those gated communities.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:30 AM

5,973 posts, read 7,044,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Extracted from Nextdoor...

I just spoke to Captain Laura Andersen of SAPD North Patrol. This is what is going on at the Blanco and 1604 shopping centers and she asked me to get the word out. She informed me that SAPD is well aware of the hundreds of aggressive panhandlers in this area. What is happening is these people are from Haven for Hope. Everyday these people are given a free bus ticket to go out and get a job. They ... View more go to either North Star Mall or Blanco and 1604 and panhandle. They are aggressive because she said every penny goes to heroin. Capt Anderson said PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY. It is all used for heroin. Some of them are more aggressive and steal your purses or make other demands but they are wanting money for heroin. SAPD arrests them and they are released and they go back to Haven for Hope and get their bus ticket the next day all over again. Capt Anderson has asked me to get this out and to please tell everyone to NOT give them money so they will eventually stop going there. Also, be very careful in that area. There are SAPD SAFFE (San Antonio Fear Free Environment) officers in these areas that are very aware of this problem and doing all they can. We can help by staying alert and not supporting any type of panhandling.
To sum this up in one word (IMHO), it would be "panicky".

Old 10-17-2015, 09:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 7,009,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
This is the best thing I have ever read in my life, I can just imagine the hysterics going on behind all those gated communities.
My family is completely & utterly panicking! What are we going to do when the homeless people approach us at the intersection with their threatening sign saying "Please help. G*d Bless." Whatever shall we do?!!!!?!

This is why we always drive with windows up & doors locked at all times.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:11 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,576,873 times
I see them at the intersection of I-10 and DeZavala every day. On every corner.
Where are the cops?
It's funny when they start their walk down the line of cars when the light is red...limping along slowly holding their little sign.....then the light turns green, and they do an about-face and walk normally and swiftly back to their starting point. All the pain and limping along is miraculously cured...until the light turns red and the cars start lining up again. Then the limping act starts again.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:41 AM

11,425 posts, read 22,622,130 times
I saw a panhandler the other day wearing a shirt that said "Hard work pays off tomorrow, laziness pays off tomorrow."

Somehow I can ignore the ones asking for money on the street corners, but the old folks begging for food outside the grocery store just break my heart. I always end up sharing my food with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or