Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 19,805 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple (My boyfriend is Venezuelan) looking to move to San Antonio. We've previously lived in Northern WI and Phoenix, AZ and looking for a change! Here is what we were wondering what you all thought of San Antonio on these topics as well as the general feel of the city:

1. We are looking for a low cost of living (We want to pay 600-625 at the most for an apartment, but cheaper the better!) Pet Friendly (We have a boxer).

2. Lots of culture (A slight variety would be nice, I've heard hispanic is predominant which I don't mind but a little variety would be nice in different neighborhoods)

3. Lots of local coffee shops with job opportunities, local farmers markets, natural food stores, etc...

4. Lots of beautiful scenery and parks with things to do.

5. How is the traffic?? And the public transportation system?

6. And last but not least, how do YOU like it in San Antonio??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,745 times
Another one of these? The last question never ends well (see other thread). The other questions have been answered over and over. Please do a search ...I'm sure you can find the answers. One problem I see is the dog.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 19,805 times
Yes I did see that one, but the original post is 3 years old. There are people still commenting on it so it has more recent comments but I wanted to get a fresh look and no one mentions the coffee culture or the natural foods/farmers market culture either. That is why I am asking. I want people's honest opinions of the pros and cons, not people just whining about the same things. Every place you live with have something you don't like.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekel13 View Post
Yes I did see that one, but the original post is 3 years old. There are people still commenting on it so it has more recent comments but I wanted to get a fresh look and no one mentions the coffee culture or the natural foods/farmers market culture either. That is why I am asking. I want people's honest opinions of the pros and cons, not people just whining about the same things. Every place you live with have something you don't like.
Do a search for these...it's in there. Small farmers market culture and small coffee house culture for a city of this size. Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's are going to be your natural food stores each with 2-3 locations...again very small for a city of this size. See thread on "Natural Grocers to open SA location"..for another that'll open sooner or later.
We've tried and tried the "honest opinion" of pros and cons...it just never ends well and eventually just whining and defending or the thread gets locked. Sorry.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:28 AM

580 posts, read 1,430,314 times
Yes, I like it. Browse my post history for answers to many of your questions. Also, check out therivardreport.com and sacurrent.com for a lot of info from more sympathetic sources.

A bunch of new coffee shops have been opening here, some but not all near the center city. Google "coffee" + Rosella, Fairview, Halcyon, Joseph E. Coffee, White Elephant, Brown, Local Coffee, Bakery Lorraine, Indy Coffee, and probably half a dozen more that I can't remember.

There are numerous farmers' markets throughout the city and the week, although many are rather small. The largest is probably the Pearl Saturday and Sunday Farmer's Market. There are also a lot of community gardens, at least in the central city.

As far as natural foods stores, we have Central Market, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and some new natural food national chain that's moving in from out of state.

For what it's worth, I'm a vegetarian and find it very easy to live here. Great new options have emerged over the past few years.

I love the river and the life that accrues around it, but for the most part this city does not have a ton of "natural beauty." But, there are some great parks, some great old architecture, and if you head right north or west of the city, you're in the Texas Hill Country. Google Lost Maples State Park and check the images to get a sense of the topography. Government Canyon State Natural Area is actually within the city limits, and you can do primitive backpack camping there.

Over and out.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:28 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,353,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Do a search for these...it's in there. Small farmers market culture and small coffee house culture for a city of this size. Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's are going to be your natural food stores each with 2-3 locations...again very small for a city of this size. See thread on "Natural Grocers to open SA location"..for another that'll open sooner or later.
We've tried and tried the "honest opinion" of pros and cons...it just never ends well and eventually just whining and defending or the thread gets locked. Sorry.
it has opened...

we have MANY farmers markets here

Old 10-29-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
it has opened...

we have MANY farmers markets here

No..we don't. Not for a city of this size, sorry.... and some are a joke as to what they offer.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:41 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,972,034 times
Quote:
Small coffee culture? In Southtown I can hit up Halcyon, Merit Roasting, White Elephant, and Joseph E Coffee. I enjoy Sip downtown. Then heading up the Broadway Corridor from downtown you have Rosella, Brown, Local Coffee at the Pearl, Commonwealth, The Fairview, and another Local Coffee in Alamo Heights. Press Coffee by SAC is another great place. The Westside Coffee Room is another small roasting shop serving great coffee. Indy Coffee by UTSA is great too.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 AM

Yup- That's pretty small for the "7th largest city in the nation." Here come the apologists....

Old 10-29-2015, 10:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,353,997 times
Quote:

No..we don't. Not for a city of this size, sorry.... and some are a joke as to what they offer.
Maybe you do not know about them, but yea we have plenty of options especially on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio