Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 964 times

Advertisements

Hello, not too long ago my family bought a home in Oakland Estates and I was wondering if anyone knew much about the history of this neighborhood? I noticed that most homes seem to be owned by people who are wealthier than the surrounding area, specifically the John Marshall High School area in general, has this happened in the past decade and is it due to the neighborhood being so close to the medical center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:50 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
The neighborhood was built in the late 90s-early 200s. Previously it was just a giant swath of ranch land (much like the De Zavala/Babcock area with a side note that the new Bacon drive or whatever it is was the last bit of free land left and now it's all gone).

I had no idea those kiddos went to Marshall. When I was growing up they were Clark kids (actually had some friends that lived there while we were in Tanglewood). I think this zoning change happened in the late 00s as I remember it being a big deal when NISD shifted the boundaries for Marshall grabbing that area and the Babcock North area.

Do the kids go to Rudder as well? Boone, Rudder and Marshall? That's kind of lame being right next to Tanglewood that is zoned Boone, Rawlinson Clark. But boundaries are so weird. Oxbow kids I believe go to the elementary school across the street, Stinson and then Brandeis. It seems to be a bit of a cluster right in that area.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:27 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Actually Oakland Estates was established back in 1926 or '29.
I grew up there. My grandparents were some of the first people to live in that area on Oakland road. They originally owned all the land down Oakland rd. from Prue to Verbena. I grew up on the corner of Prue and Oakland, next to my grandparents home.
When I was in high school, I had to go to Marshall my freshman yr, (1977-78) then transfered to Clarke, as the new boundry line was Prue rd, and I lived on the Clarke side.
A few of the older homes are still there, but there have been quite a few newer ones built in the last 20 yrs.
It is a very desirable area for the doctors that work in the medical center and I imagine the newer homes in there are a result of that.
Up until recently, tha land on the corner of Oakland and Hollyhock had a 2 story house built in 1929. The lot with the rock wall around it. Friend of mine lived there for 20 yrs.
When I was a kid, we rode our bicycles all over that area without coming across a single car.

Welcome to the neighborhood. It has a lot of memories for me.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:32 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Oakland Estates was recorded as a subdivision in Bexar County in 1926. It was annexed by the City Of San Antonio in 1972, and feeds into Thornton, Rudder, and Marshall. Many of the homes are built on acreage, but the periphery has seen some new construction on re-developed lots that were re-platted into smaller lots, particularly along Prue Road.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:41 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
That's true....a lot of the homes had several acres originally.
The homes have to have a minimum of 1 acre per the HOA rules.
I remember when we were annexed by San Antonio in the early 70's. We were wayyy out in the country then.
Can remember when Prue was mostly a gravel road. You could hear someone turning off of Fred. rd. onto Prue a mile away. Everyone would turn and look to see who it was, as everyone knew each other back then. What happened?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Oh I'm so sorry. I am thinking Oakmont Downs. Y'all are all correct about Oakland Estates. That's all super interesting info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio