Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:35 PM

26 posts, read 27,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobofromsa View Post
Closes at night I wonder why /s All those idiots down there by their good from amazon anyhow.

So happy my tax dollars could help heb build a new location
Christ I must of been drunk

Closes at night I wonder why /s All those idiots down there buy their goods from amazon anyhow.

So happy my tax dollars could help heb build a new location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,050,425 times
The aisles are 4.5 feet wide, making them almost half the width of a typical H-E-B, which measure 8 feet. The store will offer as many types of products as a typical H-E-B, but there will be fewer options for each product type.
There will be a greater emphasis on grab-and-go prepared foods than in the average H-E-B.

Downtown San Antonio H-E-B opens - San Antonio Express-News

Old 12-03-2015, 12:02 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
Anyone been there yet. What do you think? Chaka?
I haven't been yet and will wait until the craziness dies down. I passed by a few times today and the lines out the door were a little over the top for me

From friends, I heard mixed reviews. Those who tend to do most of their shopping in the staples area (i.e. they cook from scratch) said it was meh. Ok, but not sufficient to become a regular grocery trip. Those who tend to do most of their grocery shopping in the prepared foods aisle were singing its praises. Its closing time of 8pm seems silly for an urban market, if indeed they aim to appeal to downtown dwellers rather than office workers grabbing a bite on their way out to the outer 'burbs.

I was in focus groups, and all said stay open late and have staples.....

I'll report back when I shop there.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:26 AM

1,022 posts, read 857,971 times
It's better than nothing, but it's far from ideal. What HEB got and what HEB gave are two very different things here.

I laugh about how people in this city will line up to get into a new grocery store, especially one that's got dozens of locations in other parts of SA. The pictures of the opening would make one think that the Pope was inside, signing autographs.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:31 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,630,266 times
Have family living in Austin Tx and have been to their HEB stores. Really big and nice stores and prices didn't seem bad at all. Tremendous amount of selections.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
It's better than nothing, but it's far from ideal. What HEB got and what HEB gave are two very different things here.

I laugh about how people in this city will line up to get into a new grocery store, especially one that's got dozens of locations in other parts of SA. The pictures of the opening would make one think that the Pope was inside, signing autographs.
First 100 (or maybe more) received Chuck Ramirez bags, so yeah, kind of like the Pope for Southtowners...

Old 12-04-2015, 04:47 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,954,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka View Post
first 100 (or maybe more) received chuck ramirez bags, so yeah, kind of like the pope for southtowners...

Old 12-09-2015, 04:33 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,268,245 times
Well I finally checked it out........ not as impressed as I hoped to be after some of the "hype".
Still not bad by any stretch but it really is sort of tiny. Since I haven't actually shopped there yet I'm not sure how expensive it will be, compared to let's say the one on Nogalitos.
It looked like it could cover all basic "needs" of course with less variety and while I appreciate the comparable large beer and wine section I do wonder if some of that real-estate would have been better used elsewhere.
When I was reading some of the comments about the narrow aisles I was thinking why people even bring it up, shouldn't be a big deal, well now I know! :-) They really are pretty narrow even by european standards.
I like the idea of the stand with all the pre-made dinner meals but I'm not so sure how safe it is, especially with some of the meat or fish products just laying there for who knows how long.....
All in all I'd say it is alright and certainly better then nothing!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:55 PM

The width of the aisles seems fine to me. What surprised me that in a small store, nearly half of one aisle was devoted to candy (similar amount as in a regular size HEB like Lincoln Heights). Is candy really a staple of urban life?

One entire aisle devoted to sodas/sparkling water - at least as much, if not more, than Central Market's (a separate aisle had water and the grab and go cooler was separate).

Zero vegetarian type stuff (like tofu, veggie hot dogs, vegetarian soup base). Very limited options for real mustards (plenty of brown and yellow American but only Grey Poupon for dijon).

The staff have been great, though and have encouraged use of the suggestion box. My list is long....

Old 12-12-2015, 03:54 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,382,216 times
Slightly off topic, but does this new HEB also delete lots of other options for their Hill Fair brand items only? Seems to me that little by little, LOTS of things are being squeezed into smaller and smaller offerings by HEB while their own "store" brand items seem to be expanding into those spaces. I have found nothing that I care for in their store brand personally...

Best example I can think of is our "string cheese" section has moved out Sargentos and other name brands to focus on "more variety" of their store brand flavors of string cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio