Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:55 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
In addition to the neighborhoods TXEX06 mentioned, the Southtown neighbors are potentials for rentals, though buying may be out of range for you unless you get lucky. Nearby, more affordable neighborhoods, are Lone Star and Highland Park. Not quite as walkable but near the downtown area.

*Note, houses can be had for less than $200K, but expect to do a lot of work. These are historic districts that were inner city ghetto not long ago, and now well on the path to gentrification. Highland Park is more lower-middle class, mostly owner occupied houses. Smaller, well kept, family oriented so never really went through the inner city blight phase.
I echo all of these bits of advice. You can find three-bedroom houses in these areas for less than $200,000, but they often need work, and they usually only have one bathroom. There are neighborhoods a bit further away from the culture/nightlife/restaurant scenes of Tobin Hill/Pearl and Southtown/King William, and they're much more affordable. A friend of mine just bought a cute corner house in Highland Park for about $80,000. It needs a lot of work, but it's livable as is, and there are plenty of cute houses nearby.

Really, though, the best thing is to rent first, perhaps month-to-month if you can find it, and then to begin your house hunting without a real sense of urgency, as that can lead to mistakes. I rented in Monte Vista when I first moved here, and then I bought a house about seven months later.

And, as you've probably heard, it's even better to get a hotel for the first few days (or weeks) before you choose a spot to rent. Often, the best rental properties don't advertise online, and you have to drive through neighborhoods looking for "for rent" signs out front. I live in Tobin Hill, and there are a number of those in the blocks immediately around me.

SA has a lot of gay people, but there aren't a ton of bars that make up a really vibrant "scene" as you might find in a city like Chicago or LA. But, there's plenty to keep a lot of folks happy. Once again, look to Tobin Hill or King William as the neighborhoods with the most gay residents. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 05:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Your best bet is to chat with a realtor that knows the area. You'd need to have a list of your wants and what is high on the list and what is not as important. I know a real good one that knows this area extremely well. You'd like him. If you like, I can PM you his phone number or email if you want it.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Just a question, do any of the school districts have restrictions that you must LIVE within that district to be an administrator??? Have NO idea if any do, but that might be a player if it is a requirement.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
Highland Park -- is that ZIP Code 78218? 78210? Like in the Gevers/Drexel area?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:55 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Highland Park -- is that ZIP Code 78218? 78210? Like in the Gevers/Drexel area?
It's not 78218, that's the near northeast side

Old 11-19-2015, 06:15 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
Thanks smuboy86. I think it is the 78210 ZIP code. Wow...that area must have severely changed since I left San Antonio. Glad to see things have picked up and improved. There are some gorgeous old houses over there.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Thanks smuboy86. I think it is the 78210 ZIP code. Wow...that area must have severely changed since I left San Antonio. Glad to see things have picked up and improved. There are some gorgeous old houses over there.
It's still hit or miss, though. You really need to drive around to make sure that the area you are looking in has picked up. It changes block to block, just like many other areas in the city.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 7,322 times
There's a lot of great areas here and it really all depends on what you're looking for. Cibolo Schertz area is nice also overby sea world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio