Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:22 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times

Advertisements

How old are the houses in Shavano and Helotes? Also are there other gems of neighborhoods out there. My job location would be at the Southwest end of the airport where the inner loop meets 281?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 PM

119 posts, read 544,103 times
My parents live in the old part of Shavano Park (East of NW Military) and most of those houses were built in the 60's. The houses south of DeZavala were recently built in the 80's and 90's. There are parts to the north of DeZavala and east of Locke-Hill Selma that are just being built. I would say Helotes has neighborhoods of all ages.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,636 times
Lots of nice houses right off of Jones Maltsberger, Bitters area. Right off of 281.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:42 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
How old are the houses in Shavano and Helotes? Also are there other gems of neighborhoods out there. My job location would be at the Southwest end of the airport where the inner loop meets 281?
Castle Hills is extremely close to where you would work.

It's also a gem.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
You might also want to look at the subdivision know as Camino Real at Bitters and West ave pretty close to the airport nice homes prob upper prices of you range if not more. Brookhollow area would have nice homes in your price range. If you wanted a new build in that price range you have to go out past 1604 on the NW side or you could go towards 35/1604 on the NE side which is also a nice area.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:45 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
I feel like this is a dumb question, but with the airport being close to Castle Hills (or other neighborhoods around there) what is the sound like. Do most flights approach from the South? I used to live near the airport in Nashville and I hated the sound.

I'm also looking in the 78260 and 78261 area codes (which I guess is more north of Stoneoak??)

Let me finish with saying this is our first big big move. I've lived in Tennessee nearly all my life and this forum has been a blessing to refer too. Thanks for all your help!

Old 11-21-2006, 05:53 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
I think alot of the flight approach from the west\NW also. When we lived in Camino Real near the area post it was off the landing pattern by 1/2 mile and the sounds were really not that bad (no waking or shaking the house). Castle Hills should be ok also. I drive over there every day cause that is where my son goes to school and can't say I have ever had a conversation drowned out from aircraft. One thing in looking at Helotes (found this out the hard way cause we had a businness over there) that they are in a landing pattern for one of the bases here. The one with the big C-5 planes. The can get sort of annoying. One a good day my house can shake from one and I am by Shavano park at i10 and De Zavala. But that is pretty rare. I would say get a good realtor and tell them everything you have told us here and I bet they can find you a gem of a neighborhood for ya! The school district in the area you have mentioned are all good schools.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:55 AM

119 posts, read 544,103 times
I grew up right next to the intersection of DeZavala and NW Military and the planes go right over the house. They approach from the Camp Bullis area and cross 1604 at NW Military (I always see my house flying in). They continue on to fly over Silverhorn golf course and Bud Lake.

If I am on the phone with my mom and she is outside, we have to take a 10 second hiatus from talking because of the noise. They can fly in every 5 to 10 minutes at times.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:23 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,150 times
I grew up under the flight path in San Diego (Point Loma specifically). It's the same 10-15 second pause in conversations that you would expect. They did a study once to take into account how many classroom lecture hours children were missing in the Point Loma school district. Since it's a 10 second pause and you get ~5-10 planes every hour those of us that started in kindergarden and graduated from high school there lost a total of 5 years. Obviously they were 5 years that I didn't need since I managed to get a degree in chemistry. That being said I wouldn't buy a house in a neighborhood where I had to put my kid through the same thing. It's reeeeally annoying.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 18,370 times
You probably won't find much of a house for that price in Helotes, Stone Oak or Shavano Park. Be advised that the traffic problem outside of Loop 1604 on the north side is growing as construction continues unabated in areas without good access routes to the city!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio