Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 04:58 AM

152 posts, read 515,568 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend an auto body shop? I'd prefer one in the Culebra/Potranco area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 AM

778 posts, read 2,492,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoosh1958 View Post
Can anyone recommend an auto body shop? I'd prefer one in the Culebra/Potranco area.
I had some insurance work done at that Slim's/Caliber Collision on Culebra just north of Ingram Rd and was very pleased with the quality of the service, paint matching and the quick turn around. This was a few years ago though.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,978,713 times
Default body shop

that's two for Caliber. Great customer service and they did a fine job. Car rental is across the street.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 10,641 times
Alamo Paint and Body on Bandera Rd just inside Loop 410. Fast and do excellent work.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks! I'll check them out!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 32,444 times
Thought I'd bump this up while jacking your thread shoosh1958! Hope that's ok. Came here to find recommendation on Body Shops/Collision Centers. A few told me about Slims. I have a Kia Spectra with the front end smashed in pretty good. It did pass the yearly inspection and the guy told me nothing looked too bad, it's just going to obviously need to frame straightening, a new hood and the hood latch is broken. I guess what I'm saying is it looks worse than I think it is. Long story, but I have to pay out of pocket, and I'm a female that doesn't know alot about cars, so I don't want to be ripped off. I'm wondering how long something like this takes, too. Cause I'll need to add in the cost of a rental car.

Shoosh, if you read this, where did you end up going and were you satisfied?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 PM

I took the van to Caliber and was VERY satisfied. The work didn't take long, but I had to call them to find out if it was ready because they didn't call me when they said they would. As for a rental car, I used the Enterprise right next to them and liked them (it's a very busy office but efficient and pleasant), though they were pushy about extra insurance. The repair work and the rental vehicle (a 2007 Aspen) was covered by the insurance of the girl who hit me.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,468,062 times
when i was an auto claims adjuster at USAA Slim's and Alamo were both body shops that we recommended --- most of our members seemed very pleased with them...

Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 32,444 times
Thank you both for the recommendations. I think I'll try them next. I went to one place, a family owned business on Mainland (near Bandera) and got a quote for a little over $2000K, rental car included.

So I had about 5 minutes before another place closed, I think it was called Collision 911 or something on Bandera/Guilbeau. I got a quote for about $1,800. I told her if there is anything she can take off, I'm not super picky, I just want it fixed and half way decent looking. I can come back later for the rest. She took off a few things and brought it down to about $1,300. Rental car is about $19.99/day. They do financing, I have to call their accounting department tomorrow.

So I think I'll hit Slims/Caliber(which I guess is one in the same now?) and Alamo. Never hurts to get more than a few estimates. I also have a number of a guy (who is a friend of a friend of a guy I work with). I'm going to need a new hood, latch, grill, my headlights are cracked on the inside, plus some straightening of the frame and a few more things.

I just found out my emergency credit card that I thought had a $12,000 limit on it reduced the limit to $1,200. I've already used about $1,000 of it to help with rent a few months ago. So I have no idea how I'm going to get money for this.

Thank you again both!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 AM

431 posts, read 1,198,701 times
I had some repairs done at Alamo Body & Paint on 281/1000 Oaks, and was not happy with the work. First problem was that I was quoted a week (At the most) when the car was dropped off...it took three. THREE WEEKS. Next, when I finally came in to inspect the car it was not in alignment, and it was obviously not put back together very well (there were obvious errors in gap spacing around fenders and the hood). It did not take any convincing whatsoever with the 3 employees that I first informed (one of them was actually the receptionist). It was that bad.

The day was a Friday, and I was told it could be fixed by the next Monday. I didn't get the vehicle until the next Thursday.

I still wasn't fully satisfied with the job. There was one spot that looked "off" to me, and after taking measurements, it was confirmed--but the guy in charge of my vehicle kept denying it was not right. After a month, I just gave up. I was selling the car anyways...

I will never use them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio