Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 5,551 times

Advertisements

Hello all. New to the forum, but ive been lurking for a while. I am relocating to San Antonio really soon, and have my sights set on a couple houses that happen to be in los angeles heights, and one by avenida guadalupe. ive been searching on here and have found almost no information on these neighborhoods. I will be moving from the northside of chicago. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Safety, is mu main priority, we are a couple of late 20s prifessionals with no kids looking for a starter home. thanks, i know both are heavy concentration of hispanics, as am I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 04:04 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,856,248 times
The Avenida Guadalupe area, you couldn't pay me to live around - just way too much "stuff" goes on there IMO. LA Heights.....it's an older neighborhood, and I haven't been in it much in the past few years, but lots of my family (aunts, uncles) lived in that area years back. Last time I was there it was pretty run-down looking, but I also wasn't there with an eye to buy something.

What are your priorities and budget? That's going to give folks a LOT better idea as to where to suggest you look.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:10 PM

budget isnt that great, around 120.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egiron99 View Post
budget isnt that great, around 120.
"Great" is in the eyes of the beholder.....and the one paying the mortgage!

I would HIGHLY recommend that you consider leasing for at least 6 months prior to making a purchase decision. That will allow you to check out the various areas and evaluate things for yourself. What might be a deal-breaker for one person is sometimes exactly what another wants.

Also - give this link a try. It'll allow you to change up all kinds of variables, and expand/confine your search in many ways.

Listing Search Form - Search for Real Estate Properties | San Antonio Real Estate-SABOR-San Antonio Board Of Realtors®

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 PM

thanks for your input

Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
There ha been lots of social service and business development in the Avenida Guadalupe area and it continues to get poured into the area. It is historically one of the poorest areas in the city. Even though the city pours all this stuff into the city it continues to struggle to move beyond what it historically has been. While it has amazing history and it's one of my favorite parts of the city, I would highly highly reccomend other areas of the city. Search for 78207 and you will find all the information you need regarding the area (in many of the threads about 78207 it is this area that people speak of). Side note, //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ut-ground.html relates to a school in that area.

As for Los Angeles Heights, it can be hit or miss. I believe years ago there was some talk of it becoming a historical district, but because of he upkeep and added tax burden that this would cause to the primaily lower income and elderly population in the area it was scrapped.

I echo the sentiments of others, rent before you decide where to live. Based on where your search led you, a safer option may be the Marbach/410 to 410/90 area. Tht is zipcode 78227 I believe.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 PM

thanks, ill definately look into that area. I would like to rent first but with two dogs and one being a black lab, the rental market becomes pretty limited. And with a VA loan its cheaper to buy than it is to drop on all the deposits for a rental, besides dealing with landlords is never really fun.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egiron99 View Post
thanks, ill definately look into that area. I would like to rent first but with two dogs and one being a black lab, the rental market becomes pretty limited. And with a VA loan its cheaper to buy than it is to drop on all the deposits for a rental, besides dealing with landlords is never really fun.
True.....but dealing with a house in a neighborhood you hate can be even MORE of a hassle.......

Old 04-09-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
True.....but dealing with a house in a neighborhood you hate can be even MORE of a hassle.......
Thats also very true, luckily im going to be in san antonio in a couple weeks. so im goong to check out
a couple areas before i fully decide to either buy, or rent. ideally i would like to rent by beacon hill, but i also dont want to get rid of my doggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: