Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 824 times

Advertisements

Before it was the Book Stop, it was a grocery store called Model Market. This was back in the 50's. It was certainly advanced for its time. The doors opened automatically by use of what was called and "electric eye." The checkout lanes, instead of having conveyor belts, had a carousel that you placed your purchases on. Great memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 02:59 PM

443 posts, read 954,788 times
That was my main market for decades while living in Alamo Heights. The produce was absolutely exceptional and all I had to do was call to have a reserve cut of meat ready for when I arrived.

I was told by the manager that the reason why the produce was so fresh and fruit properly ripened was the owner and his son would head up to the produce terminal on Fridays and personally select the items, they didn't gas them to ripen them. The things I remember as outstanding were Fredericksburg peaches, watermelons lining the floors of the produce area, the absolute best artichokes I've had, unshelled black-eyes and crowder peas, and apricots which tasted like apricots. Haven't had a decent apricot since they closed.

The market was moved to Austin Highway next to where Earl Ables is now and ran into difficulty with a major market being right across the street. I was told the owner wanted out and the sons didn't want to take it over, so it was sold to someone who was running a small market over in Kirby. I think it lasted all of a single month. They had a blow-out sale which consisted of all the inventory and then the store fixtures, and then that was that.

I think that was the last time I saw double coupon days anywhere here in town. Twice I visited the store and upon checkout realized I had forgotten my wallet. Both times the manager waved me through and I just returned later to pay. I also managed to lock my keys in my truck and the manager gave me a lift to my house. For me, it was the end of an era in San Antonio.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 PM

4,328 posts, read 7,235,823 times
The original Bookstop location in Sunset Ridge was at the south end of the complex, in a space that was originally occupied by Piggly-Wiggly. The center later added additional space at the south end of the building, where the Tackle Box, Great Clips, and the Wag More are now. Bookstop later moved into the western half of the former Model Market. EZ's opened in the east side of that building, and is still there today.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The original Bookstop location in Sunset Ridge was at the south end of the complex, in a space that was originally occupied by Piggly-Wiggly. The center later added additional space at the south end of the building, where the Tackle Box, Great Clips, and the Wag More are now. Bookstop later moved into the western half of the former Model Market. EZ's opened in the east side of that building, and is still there today.

Wow.. Thanks for that information.
Now makes sense.

I knew most of what you wrote but you "tied the knots" to the rest of the information, of what I know now to be real. Wag More, Tackle Box, Great Clips; I didn't know about Piggly Wiggly......

Old 12-10-2015, 03:08 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Wow.. Thanks for that information.
Now makes sense.

I knew most of what you wrote but you "tied the knots" to the rest of the information, of what I know now to be real. Wag More, Tackle Box, Great Clips; I didn't know about Piggly Wiggly......

The name of the grocery store was Waitz Model Market on Brees Blvd.
I recall the "Book-Stop” in that area.

On Brees & N. New Braunfels where CVS Pharmacy is currently located, before that it was
Ekerd’s Drugs. It may have been a Sommer’s Rexall prior to that but not 100 % sure.

On Austin Hwy close to Broadway where the Frost Bank is currently located was a diner,
called "The Bean Pot”.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 PM

232 posts, read 379,961 times
All I can say is yes. I live a few blocks from there and remember Waitz, before it moved to Terrell Plaza, where Earl Abels moved to. It was a bookshop, art gallery and now Alamo Heights Emergency Clinic along side EZ's. Dr MaGoon is fantastic along with his entire staff and partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio