Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

If you think about it, the meter reader could probably read the meters at a hundred houses in an hour, when every meter in the neighborhood had to be read. There was only travel time to and from the neighborhood once, for all of the meters in that neighborhood, because they all get read on the same day. If three people in the neighborhood opt out of the smart meters, then the meter reader now has to come out to just read those three. That means that CPS is having to pay the meter reader for the travel time to the neighborhood just to service those three customers.

It's fair for CPS to charge the customers who haven't had the smart meter installed, because now the meter reader is an extra expense that is only needed for a few customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 11:41 AM

4,324 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Smart meters are still relatively new to CPS customers and I personally feel they come with risks (inaccurate billing, safety, privacy, etc) still. I will leave it at that.

I didn't want to turn this thread into a debate over smart meters vs. analog meters. My main issue were the charges incurred for choosing to stick with analog meters which is my own personal choice. Charges that did not exist before.

I do agree with you that not having a meter guy walking through your yard is a benefit of the smart meters. Mine isn't in the yard though.

I guess I should quit my day job and charge people $20 per house to read meters all day. Seems like that would pay better than what I make now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you think about it, the meter reader could probably read the meters at a hundred houses in an hour, when every meter in the neighborhood had to be read. There was only travel time to and from the neighborhood once, for all of the meters in that neighborhood, because they all get read on the same day. If three people in the neighborhood opt out of the smart meters, then the meter reader now has to come out to just read those three. That means that CPS is having to pay the meter reader for the travel time to the neighborhood just to service those three customers.

It's fair for CPS to charge the customers who haven't had the smart meter installed, because now the meter reader is an extra expense that is only needed for a few customers.
My meter, along with most of the homes in my neighborhood, is on the back of the house. That means I had to leave the fenced back yard accessible for the meter reader every month (they still physically verify meter readings for a few months after installation). With the Smart Meter, that doesn't have to be done anymore. Furthermore, as I posted earlier, I had been plagued with estimated readings, and in some cases, in-person readings that I verified were erroneous, for some time prior to the Smart Meter upgrade. I attribute that partially to meter reader staff reductions (through attrition), due to the Smart Meter upgrade program, and the use of contract meter readers to fill the void in the interim.

Just looking at the homes around mine, along with others in my neighborhood where I can see the meter, I haven't noticed any that still have the old analog meter.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
My meter, along with most of the homes in my neighborhood, is on the back of the house. That means I had to leave the fenced back yard accessible for the meter reader every month (they still physically verify meter readings for a few months after installation). With the Smart Meter, that doesn't have to be done anymore. Furthermore, as I posted earlier, I had been plagued with estimated readings, and in some cases, in-person readings that I verified were erroneous, for some time prior to the Smart Meter upgrade. I attribute that partially to meter reader staff reductions (through attrition), due to the Smart Meter upgrade program, and the use of contract meter readers to fill the void in the interim.

Just looking at the homes around mine, along with others in my neighborhood where I can see the meter, I haven't noticed any that still have the old analog meter.
I can't wait until they switch in my neighborhood, so that I can put a locked gate in the section of my yard where the meter is.

If I'm right, CPS switched to contract meter readers about 5 years ago...I remember they were hiring meter readers at $10/hour and the company hiring was not CPS, so that's probably why there were more errors than there used to be.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:28 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
My main issue were the charges incurred for choosing to stick with analog meters which is my own personal choice. Charges that did not exist before.
I do agree with you that not having a meter guy walking through your yard is a benefit of the smart meters. Mine isn't in the yard though.
I guess I should quit my day job and charge people $20 per house to read meters all day. Seems like that would pay better than what I make now.
There is no need for people who walked from house to house and manually read those meters, and probably entered their reading into a spreadsheet or something like that.
Smart meters are now read remotely over a wireless network.
I am sure that the utility companies eliminated or redirected those jobs to cut on operating costs (their costs, of course).
People who decided to keep their old meters must NOW pay extra for the personal readings, because that's extra cost for the utility companies (and extra jobs for those who have to do it manually).

Spoiler

Last edited by elnina; 12-11-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 11:11 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times
When I lived near Philly, these were installed for water readings. I think that I would rather have these being installed by SAWS. No more estimated water bills would be nice.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:27 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
I have had my "smart meter" for about 4 years now. In that time I don't think I have had one single problem with it. My bills haven't gone haywire and when they are trying to control your temp you can always override it. Now the word "new" is relative to what you consider "new" but a 2012 vehicle at this point wouldn't be "new". I don't think the smart meters out are "new" either. They may have a "new" updated version but they are not new to San Antonio.

And yes.. either upgrade or pay to have your meter read every month. Its the way of the world these days.. you get forced into things that you resist.. nothing new in society

Old 12-12-2015, 04:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
We have had ours for about 3 years...zero issues.

Love the portal where I can view energy usage. We also have the thermostats, and can adjust remotely of needed.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:51 PM

894 posts, read 1,546,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I have had my "smart meter" for about 4 years now. In that time I don't think I have had one single problem with it. My bills haven't gone haywire and when they are trying to control your temp you can always override it. Now the word "new" is relative to what you consider "new" but a 2012 vehicle at this point wouldn't be "new". I don't think the smart meters out are "new" either. They may have a "new" updated version but they are not new to San Antonio.

And yes.. either upgrade or pay to have your meter read every month. Its the way of the world these days.. you get forced into things that you resist.. nothing new in society
CPS Energy smart meters didn't start going in until 2014. I think you are confusing these with the home energy manager which did start much earlier.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:27 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
CPS Energy smart meters didn't start going in until 2014.
On a city wide scale. On an individual scale, if you wanted the newer thermostats you also agreed to have your meter swapped out, which is what we did.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
CPS isn't openly admitting it, but smart meters could eventually be used for demand pricing. The wholesale price of electricity fluctuates throughout the day and the rate we all pay for the amount we use each month is an estimated average of that rate. With demand pricing, you'd pay more for what you use during peak periods and less during lean periods.

So at 5:00 pm on those hottest summer afternoons, if you run the home AC at full blast, you'll regret it when you get your bill! By the time that pricing gets put in place, thermostats should be smart enough that we can program them to avoid running the system during those price spikes.

Demand pricing could cut utility bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio