Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM

41 posts, read 70,044 times

Advertisements

I host foreign exchange students and currently have a Muslim living in my home. He is the 5th Muslim I've hosted. None of my students have ever faced any issues in San Antonio. Now, that's not to say that other Muslims here have never had a problem because I'm sure there are stories. But, overall, San Antonio is a warm and welcoming city. Because of the military bases here, people are used to other cultures. As others have said, there is a large Muslim presence here - especially in the medical center area. The mosque is large and very active. There are many Arabic restaurants and cafes. I know my students always have a large network of Muslim friends they meet here.

Wishing you the best and hope you and your family enjoy San Antonio!

Sherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,236 times
I work at UTSA, and a little known fact is that the country from which the largest portion of our foreign students come is Saudi Arabia. I've had many Muslim students in class, and all seem to enjoy it here. There are also plenty of hijab-wearing women on campus. Strangely, the one thing that seems hardest for these students is the recent decision to make the whole campus tobacco-free. I know that a lot of students from predominantly Muslim countries smoke, and it's pretty much impossible to do at UTSA these days. It's one of the reasons I was against the policy even though I don't smoke myself.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,390 times
Which is the most diverse city and has the biggest moslim comunity- Houston/dallas/san antonio/or austin? I did a search on the forum already and read through some threads already but still ???

My spouse's friend just came back from Dallas and said that they are racist there. This was not her first visit there.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:51 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariecallendars View Post
Which is the most diverse city and has the biggest moslim comunity- Houston/dallas/san antonio/or austin? I did a search on the forum already and read through some threads already but still ???

My spouse's friend just came back from Dallas and said that they are racist there. This was not her first visit there.
Houston and Dallas by miles.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:14 AM

437 posts, read 638,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariecallendars View Post

If that is the case, maybe the question that should matter more is what city is the most friendly/accepting city? that would be san antonio.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:58 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
Certainly are quite a few groceries and restaurants opening up. No expert but they are pretty good and friendly to obviously non-Muslims when you go to them.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,486 times
You should be fine here.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:10 AM

80 posts, read 57,964 times
Abualjood,

I'm NOT "white", being Native American (There are places in the USA, mostly out West, where being NA is NOT popular!), and I can tell you that SA is such a diverse city that your family will be FINE here.
(We are pretty much ALL "minorities" in SA. - Every living Texan is either an immigrant or a descendent of an immigrant.)

I know of exactly ONE Muslim who has "had a bad time" here in The Alamo City & he is REALLY LOUD about how much that he HATES the USA & everything about Americans. = He was recently on a local NPR station & he said "on air" that "ALL Texans are racist to the core."
(One wonders why such a hate-FILLED bigot stays in TX/USA.)

As for our family, may I welcome your family to SATX. - NICE CITY/NICE FOLKS.

yours, tex

Old 05-28-2016, 02:33 AM

80 posts, read 57,964 times
Abuljood,

Just this last Tuesday, I talked at length (for over an hour) to a gentleman who is originally from Egypt & has lived in Bexar County since his boyhood in the 1960s.
(Both of us collect/shoot antique single-shot black powder rifles, so we had a lot to talk about.)

Thinking of this subject during our conversation, I asked him about being Muslim in San Antonio & whether or not that you or any other Muslim should be concerned about their family's safety or social acceptance in this area.
His comment was that his family has had no problem in San Antonio nor has he had any problem as a small businessman here, other than the general problems that the "not so good economy" have caused their company for the last decade.
(His family owns & operates a dry-cleaning plant & commercial laundry & his wife teaches kindergarten.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 05-28-2016 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Very nice thread. Just wondering if you have a choice between San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas which would you choose. Looking for a 2 bedroom apartment for about a $1000 a month not too far from a Sunni mosque and safe area. I've read that the place near UTSA SAN Antonio Is very diverse but can I found an apartment for that much? It's sad what kind of world we live in, I get along with everyone and I teach m kids to love and respect everyone but lately even thought we live in NYC I'm starting to see more and more people giving my wife a strange look becaue she wears the scarf. We need to move out of NY because of financial reasons. If Orlando Florida is cheaper and has a Muslim community I'm willing to move there instead.

Thank you all,
Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio