Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:18 PM

62 posts, read 160,797 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the replies and great advice! We are coming down next week to look at houses in NW, North Central, and NE SA! Looking forward to moving!

Old 02-10-2008, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 20,184 times
Smile Converse?

I have lived in NE san antonio/Schertz/Cibilo areas and all are good areas to raise a family. I have several family members that live in Converse and they love it. Small town but c[SIZE=3]onveniently located to schools, shopping, and downtown San Antonio. Take a look at this website Home homes with good incentives for buyers and you have the choice to build or select a home ready to move into. Good luck![/SIZE]

Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 PM

56 posts, read 169,503 times
Make sure to check tax rates in the area you are looking because they do vary.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 PM

529 posts, read 2,712,582 times
Also, check with your insurance company. You might get lower rates if you live in Guadelupe county as opposed to Bexar County.
I believe Schertz in in Guadelupe and Converse is in Bexar.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy23 View Post
Make sure to check tax rates in the area you are looking because they do vary.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 PM

47 posts, read 243,567 times
I used to live in Kirby, down the road from Converse, for 10 years. My son went to Judson HS and also Wagner HS and my other sons were in elementary. I have been in and out of the entire area. I also used to have several "connections" around the area. I advise you to research the HELL out of where your home will be. Or find out which street these other posters with positive things to say live on. Drive around the neighborhood surrounding a potential home and take a good look at the people living there. Some streets are very quiet and nice, while others will have one or two residents that make the street an instant ghetto. Go hang out at the Wal-Mart on FM-78. Yeah, the same one where the guy was shot in the parking lot over his car's wheels a few months back. These will be your new neighbors and a lot of them won't look "nice".

There's a cancer spreading from two sides going into Converse. From one side you have the Candlewood Park/Sunrise areas that are already heavily effected and working it's way toward Woodlake and further toward Converse. On the other side you have THE GLEN behind Converse. If you are not familiar with THE GLEN, it's currently the San Antonio Metro Area's WORST NEIGHBORHOOD. I grew up in what used to be the worst neighborhood years ago and the Glen scares the crap out of ME! There are spots scattered throughout the "better" Converse subdivisions too. You people living in North Hampton shouldn't feel too comfortable. I've had "connections" in your neighborhood too! And these guys were hardcore "gangsta" types. Can you guess how they can afford living next to you, lol???? This is not to say you can't find a decent place to live in Converse. There are still plenty of spots that are quiet, nice areas. You just have to find one that's free of ghetto-mentality neighbors. And if you find one, you better pray when someone moves out that the new neighbor isn't coming from the ghetto. And even on those streets that are nice and quiet now....what will it be like 5 to 10 years from now? Better get some serious community involvement going before it ends up like Sunrise, Candlewood and the GLEN!

Another thing to consider is the school district. All schools have their share of problems and Judson is certainly no exception. The area is growing, that is to say more stuff is being built and more people are moving into the newer subdivisions. Judson just had ANOTHER bond passed a couple of years ago to build and renovate more schools. This was AFTER the other bond just before this one that went to build the new (then) high school, middle school and elementary schools. They just announced the money from the current bond is definitely not going to be enough to build all the things they promised the taxpayers they would. They are running out of money and quick. It's costing WAAAAY more than they projected. I can smell another bond coming up! One of the problems with Judson is athletics. That means football. Everything is secondary to football. Seriously, the first bond almost didn't pass because people were worried about breaking up the damn Judson Rockets football team. They arranged it so the Varsity Football players all attended Judson instead of the new Wagner HS. The Judson head coach makes slightly less than the Superintendent at around $100,000. For a HIGH SCHOOL football coach. They spend a LOT of money on Football in Texas high schools and Judson is one of the guiltier ones. That means less money for anything else, like "education". The Judson district is spiralling downward. Low test scores, dropout rates and they are on their 3rd superintendent in 5 years. My wife teaches in the Judson district. She'd be the first to tell you to put your kids somewhere else. And she'd have many more teachers behind her saying the same thing.

And while it sounds bad and certainly comes across as racist, there are just too many black kids in the district now. It used to be pretty equal a few years ago with about 30% each of white, black and hispanic. All the data for Judson will tell you the black population makes up only 26%, but walk onto some campuses and you'll quickly see it's closer to 80%! Judson is seriously rivaling the East Central ISD for the % of blacks! Even black people know (although few will tell you), the more blacks there are in the school, the more problems there are. No different for the hispanics. Go to the east side and the south and west side for proof of this. You can take 'em out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of 'em. They bring it with them....like a big bag of cancer. Yeah, give me a hood and a burning cross and remember not to tell people I'm asian and two of my best friends were black.

I rant and ramble. I apologize. We moved away from the area for two reasons: 1) The area was becoming WAY too ghetto for our tastes- and I grew up in one of the worst. I strongly believe Converse will be facing this in the next few years; 2) There was no way we were going to let our kids continue going to a thug-heavy school district where "gangsta" activity/mentality is becoming SO rampant, yet all the parents turn a blind eye to it. You can roll the dice if you want. You will be doing so anywhere you move really. But in our case it wasn't worth the gamble staying in the same area. We opted to spend about $30,000 more than we could have gotten for a comparable sized home in Converse and moved to the Cibolo/Schertz area. Much, much, much better area in my opinion after living here for two years. The worst thing that aggravates me about living here are people's inability to use their turn-signals! Although the prices have risen way up since we moved, you couldn't GIVE me a house in Converse to make me go back to that area. It's ultimately up to you to decide what is important and what isn't and what factors you consider important to your family. Ours was primarily safety. The safety of ourselves in our home and the safety of our kids in school. That meant getting the Hell away from the stretch of FM-78 between loop 1604 and loop 410.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM

218 posts, read 337,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySixString View Post
I used to live in Kirby, down the road from Converse, for 10 years. My son went to Judson HS and also Wagner HS and my other sons were in elementary. I have been in and out of the entire area. I also used to have several "connections" around the area. I advise you to research the HELL out of where your home will be. Or find out which street these other posters with positive things to say live on. Drive around the neighborhood surrounding a potential home and take a good look at the people living there. Some streets are very quiet and nice, while others will have one or two residents that make the street an instant ghetto. Go hang out at the Wal-Mart on FM-78. Yeah, the same one where the guy was shot in the parking lot over his car's wheels a few months back. These will be your new neighbors and a lot of them won't look "nice".

There's a cancer spreading from two sides going into Converse. From one side you have the Candlewood Park/Sunrise areas that are already heavily effected and working it's way toward Woodlake and further toward Converse. On the other side you have THE GLEN behind Converse. If you are not familiar with THE GLEN, it's currently the San Antonio Metro Area's WORST NEIGHBORHOOD. I grew up in what used to be the worst neighborhood years ago and the Glen scares the crap out of ME! There are spots scattered throughout the "better" Converse subdivisions too. You people living in North Hampton shouldn't feel too comfortable. I've had "connections" in your neighborhood too! And these guys were hardcore "gangsta" types. Can you guess how they can afford living next to you, lol???? This is not to say you can't find a decent place to live in Converse. There are still plenty of spots that are quiet, nice areas. You just have to find one that's free of ghetto-mentality neighbors. And if you find one, you better pray when someone moves out that the new neighbor isn't coming from the ghetto. And even on those streets that are nice and quiet now....what will it be like 5 to 10 years from now? Better get some serious community involvement going before it ends up like Sunrise, Candlewood and the GLEN!
I'd like to first address the WalMart shooting/killing. That actually happened a year ago, not s few months. Also, it was quite a random and isolated event and the two people involved weren't even from Converse but San Antonio. The Walmart just happened to be in Converse. Though I will agree with you, The Glen is bad, real bad. Though it's not in Converse so people in Converse have nothing to worry about. The current Glen subdivison is a result of many residents moving away to other areas of the city or the suburbs and SAHA (San Antonio Housing Authority) introducing lots of low income housing as a result. Converse has nothing to worry about in that regard.

Quote:
And while it sounds bad and certainly comes across as racist, there are just too many black kids in the district now. It used to be pretty equal a few years ago with about 30% each of white, black and hispanic. All the data for Judson will tell you the black population makes up only 26%, but walk onto some campuses and you'll quickly see it's closer to 80%! Judson is seriously rivaling the East Central ISD for the % of blacks! Even black people know (although few will tell you), the more blacks there are in the school, the more problems there are. No different for the hispanics. Go to the east side and the south and west side for proof of this. You can take 'em out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of 'em. They bring it with them....like a big bag of cancer. Yeah, give me a hood and a burning cross and remember not to tell people I'm asian and two of my best friends were black.
I don't care what nationality you are, that was quite the racist comments and classifying it as racist before you say the racist things isn't any less racist. You as a minority should be the last one to make those type of comments.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:16 AM

47 posts, read 243,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelangelosa View Post
I'd like to first address the WalMart shooting/killing. That actually happened a year ago, not s few months. Also, it was quite a random and isolated event and the two people involved weren't even from Converse but San Antonio. The Walmart just happened to be in Converse. Though I will agree with you, The Glen is bad, real bad. Though it's not in Converse so people in Converse have nothing to worry about. The current Glen subdivison is a result of many residents moving away to other areas of the city or the suburbs and SAHA (San Antonio Housing Authority) introducing lots of low income housing as a result. Converse has nothing to worry about in that regard.
Uh yeah, I've seen that happen to my old neighborhood, except with, and I KNOW this will sound RACIST, but then it was with LOTS AND LOTS OF HISPANICS. You don't think the people from the Glen have figured out how to come across Walzem into Converse? Is it improbable to think that some of those kids in The Glen have friends in Converse???? And you don't think Converse has low income housing?? Which isn't even the problem. I've met my share of "ghetto folk", black, hispanic AND white, all with that same ghetto-mentality, in some of THE nicer homes and area throughout Converse. I was shocked to see it really. Especially North Hampton at the time. And fine, the Wal-Mart thing was a year ago. My bad. You want to say then that there have been no shootings and the news haven't covered any other stories since? Converse has something to worry about because the problem is already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelangelosa View Post
I don't care what nationality you are, that was quite the racist comments and classifying it as racist before you say the racist things isn't any less racist. You as a minority should be the last one to make those type of comments.
Oh get off your high horse in your high safe ignorant politically correct tower. It's the truth. If I'm perceived as racist, so be it. Don't phase me

Last edited by JohnnySixString; 02-13-2008 at 12:25 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 AM

47 posts, read 151,242 times
I grew up in Converse and graduated from Judson in the mid 90's. It was bad-ish then and I have heard that it has gotten worse. However, I was never in any trouble and still have the same best friends from high school today. We all went to college, have good jobs and are raising our families....out of Converse.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 23,905 times
Hi! I think you should check the North Central Area. I am in a Real Estate and I think you should try to look for houses in this area. Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,517 times
Default Town Square Apartment in Converse

I am looking to relocate from NC. Can you tell me if the new Town Square Apartment complex is located in a nice area? The rents are incredibly low and i am trying to find the catch. I will be working in Shertz, and don't mind the 15min commute if i can save $200/month on rent for something BRAND NEW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio