Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 PM

11 posts, read 14,761 times

Advertisements

Looking for a hardcore fitness gym in the Alamo ranch area. Something were people are actually focused on lifting/training and not their cellphones. I'm looking to compete in men's physique this year and would like to surround myself with people who are also focused on their goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:56 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNE1982 View Post
Looking for a hardcore fitness gym in the Alamo ranch area. Something were people are actually focused on lifting/training and not their cellphones. I'm looking to compete in men's physique this year and would like to surround myself with people who are also focused on their goals.

None in Alamo Ranch area. Golds-Bandera is just ok. for a close one. Joe's on Fred is old school..but not real hardcore..Olympic ok but nothing great. Metroflex on 35/Rittiman (nothing like the one in Arlington, that's hard core). Lions den..meh. Golds Babcock has a ton of equipment and if go you during the day, you can actually make it work. You physique guys shouldn't need a ton of weight anyway. I've trained just about everywhere, all over the country. Nothing great left in SA.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Maybe you should get a personal trainer who would set up a regime exactly for you needs...

Old 02-01-2016, 07:06 PM

If he's ready to compete, he's past that...he may hire a prep coach at some point (usually 12-16 weeks before show). Someone to dial him in (nutrition tweak, posing etc..), I did when I competed.

Last edited by Pancho-Villa; 02-01-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 07:48 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Yeah, that's what I had in mind.
Who cares what others do. All he needs is right equipment and availability. Then just focus, and stick with own routine.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 PM

Pancho,

Thanks for the info!! Out of curiosity what's wrong with the metro flex? Being overseas for the last 5years it's been a dream to train at one of these bad boys. It's gonna suck if metro flex SA isn't up to par with the others.

Hows the fitness scene in SA? Are there competitions on the regular? Do you compete?

Joes on Fred sounds like my best bet. Thanks again

Old 02-01-2016, 07:53 PM

Elina,

Thanks for the response. As Pancho stated I'm already past the point. I'm actually a licensed personal trainer myself. Now I'm trying to take it to the next level and get on stage.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:50 PM

Bridge to Bay, Shredder, South Texas showdown and the Lackland Classic would be the shows most guys do...if you do well, then you may want to try the Europa in Dallas, but I wouldn't do that one as a first timer...it's a big boy show.
The Lackland show is one of the last of the season. I used to compete...but not physique. Made the transition from powerlifting to bodybuilding years ago. I was thinking of doing one last show (masters) but a surgery is keeping me from training the way I would need to for this year..maybe next year, we'll see.
The Metroflex for one is too far for you to train on the daily...and the kid that opened that location really let a great opportunity go by. It's not hard core at all...you'd do better training at either Golds Bandera or Babcock due to the distance for one..I was speaking to Brian Dobson at Metroflex Arlington and he is almost ashamed of the Mflex in SA.
Don't get me wrong, you can train at Mflex SA...it's just not good enough to warrant that drive from Alamo Ranch.
Joe's isn't going to be close for you either...but it's good for the occasional session when you want something different. Definitely old school, dirty and cheap...
Alamo Ranch is a newer area that's dominated by chain restaurants and it's suburban sprawl...you need to remember that. Most of the old school things aren't going to be located near that type of area.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 AM

I forgot to mention the Ronnie Coleman and Branch Warren Classics...some guys do those as well...but they are in Ft Worth and Houston. Big Boy shows too.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, that's what I had in mind.
Who cares what others do. All he needs is right equipment and availability. Then just focus, and stick with own routine.
Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. Not at this level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio