Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Two questions:

What is the vehicle for transferring the media to your TV from your PC..(both Video and Audio)..seems a little confusing.

And..

This seems too good....is it legal?
You could use an HDMI cable from your PC to your TV, or some TVs have an RGB input (you would need separate audio cables with the RGB). Your TV is essentially funtioning as a monitor for your PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 09:36 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:

No it isnt. Definitely not the NFL and most likely not tv shows or ESPN either.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Two questions:

What is the vehicle for transferring the media to your TV from your PC..(both Video and Audio)..seems a little confusing.

And..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
No it isnt. Definitely not the NFL and most likely not tv shows or ESPN either.
If someone is using their TV to watch live or streaming content from a PC, I don't see what would be illegal.

If you are talking about recording the content, that could be a different story. Some of that content may be copy-protected, so you can't record it anyway, at least not without resorting to what could be extreme measures, which aren't exactly legal. If it is not copy-protected, how is that different from using a DVR, DVD recorder, or the old-fashioned VHS recorder? I thought recording for personal use was permitted?

Old 02-05-2016, 10:56 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
The link to ESPN is owned by ESPN. No, you don't get everything they broadcast but you get more than you'll be able to see. If you are on Uverse, you'll get access to even more than what was posted which also includes first run movies and all network programming and some of the specialized channels like HBO and others. When it comes to movies, most studios will put it out there before the release of the movie to gauge response and they can tune their advertising according to feedback. You can join putlocker and see more than you want in a lifetime, it's free. The biggest website out there for movies and TV programming is YouTube which is owned by Hulu. No need to pay Hulu when they post it on YouTube and it's commercial free. I'm not sure movie-forumz.tv is legal although they've been around a long time. Usually it doesn't take the feds too long to shut down an illegal website, a couple of months at most.

Frankly, I don't have an issue with illegal websites. I can't tell you how many laser discs I had only to see them replaced with VHS tapes, only to see them replaced with DVDs, only to be replaced by Blue Ray, and now it's going to mini DVDs. I've bought the same movie several times so I've paid my dues to the actors guild. Now if the studios were replacing the movies for the cost of the DVD or whatever, that would be different, but obviously they ********* over by having you buy the same movie again on a different format. Kinda works the same way with audio- records, 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, CDs, mp3. So how many of you are paying for your mp3 music? Didn't think so.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:32 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
I thought YouTube was owned by Google?? No??

Old 02-05-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Frankly, I don't have an issue with illegal websites. I can't tell you how many laser discs I had only to see them replaced with VHS tapes, only to see them replaced with DVDs, only to be replaced by Blue Ray, and now it's going to mini DVDs. I've bought the same movie several times so I've paid my dues to the actors guild. Now if the studios were replacing the movies for the cost of the DVD or whatever, that would be different, but obviously they ********* over by having you buy the same movie again on a different format. Kinda works the same way with audio- records, 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, CDs, mp3. So how many of you are paying for your mp3 music? Didn't think so.
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you but that wasnt their question

Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I thought YouTube was owned by Google?? No??
It is owned by Google

Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Trapper L says Youtube is owned by Hulu above.. ???

Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If someone is using their TV to watch live or streaming content from a PC, I don't see what would be illegal.

If you are talking about recording the content, that could be a different story. Some of that content may be copy-protected, so you can't record it anyway, at least not without resorting to what could be extreme measures, which aren't exactly legal. If it is not copy-protected, how is that different from using a DVR, DVD recorder, or the old-fashioned VHS recorder? I thought recording for personal use was permitted?
Sorry, I meant the sites themselves in most cases are illegal.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Trapper L says Youtube is owned by Hulu above.. ???
It has been owned by Google for almost 10 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio