U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,312 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've just spent about an hour reading all of the existing threads after multiple searches ("safe", "traffic", "Fort Sam Houston", "SAMMC". Nothing quite matched the criteria I am searching for so I appreciate any insight you have and apologize if this has already been answered.

My girlfriend will be assigned to SAMMC in July and I will be moving with her. I work remotely from home so her priorities (wisely) trump mine. In order of importance for her:

1. Safe neighborhood = somewhere she can safely go for a jog at night or early in the morning alone
2. 30 minute or less commute to SAMMC and back.
3. 2 to 3 bedroom single family home, townhouse, or condo
4. Budget is $1,200 to $1,400

Everything else like proximity to shops or entertainment is not important for us. Also, we don't expect to have kids in the near future.

So far I've been concentrating my internet research on Olmos Park, Alta Vista, Monte Vista, Tobin Hill, Alamo Heights, Terrell Heights, and Mahncke Park. With her constraint of a 30 minute commute, can we consider rental properties north of 410 between I-10 and 281?

Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,623,148 times
Windcrest should be added to your list, Terrell heights and Wiltshire village too.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,244,345 times
Mahncke Park used to be a little sketchy. Has it cleaned up in recent years?

I used to drive that way, and the commute to Alamo Heights and Terrell Heights/Hills is really fast and easy. I'd start looking in those areas.

I don't think there's any need to go outside the loop unless you want more recent housing stock and/or modern apartments with modern amenities. A lot of what you'll find inside the loop is older -- pre-WWII to the 1980's -- and more charming and beautiful, to my eye.

Also, I'm looking at a map of neighborhoods inside the loop. Terrell Hills is great, but skip East Terrell Hills.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:03 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,624,200 times
Are kids/schools a player???? That would make a HUGE difference in many of your zero'ed in on areas unless you are willing to enroll/drive to private schools.

Welcome to SA! You WILL like it here!

Where are you transferring from? That will help some of us retired military give you some "similar/different" types of views.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
My family is also moving to SA this summer, with very similar situation and search parameters. Of these- Olmos Park, Alta Vista, Monte Vista, Tobin Hill, Alamo Heights, Terrell Heights, and Windcrest, how's the diversity of the areas? Walkability?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:52 PM

769 posts, read 867,562 times
Now you might want to check out the Schertz-Cibolo area. A lot of people during the day and even the evening jog and walk up and down Schertz parkway.We also have a YMCA. Not sure on apartment rentals though there are new apartment complexes in town.It's 20 miles to San Antonio. I think the commute is probably 20 to 30 minutes or so.IH35 south would be the way to get to SAMMC.Two miles from Schertz right across from Randolph AF BASE is Universal citythere are some nice apartments there. For crime statistics you can check out the police department websites . Off of Pat Booker in Universal city behind the Mega Furniture store up near the Forum at Olympia Hills they are building new apartments too.
Out here New Braunfels is only 12 miles away and you can go tubing on the Guadalupe River or to Schlitterbahn voted one of the best water parks in America by the Travel Channel. The towns around here have various celebrations.new Braunfels has Creekside Movie Theatre;Alamo Draft House; and Lone Star Drive Inn which is brand new.There are also several State parks and state natural areas in and around the San Antonio area. Austin with its famous Sixth Street is up the road 65 miles.
You can check out SA Current magazine on line to see about the city of San Antonio,,,, night life,etc.
I know the old areas of San Antonio you're talking about,,,,,,,,,,,,but can't tell, you anything on housing prices.Check Zillow and Trulia for information on housing prices plus they list realtors.Or you can contact the San Antonio Board of Realtors as well.I believe Zillow or Trulia by the way also gives alot of information like on crimes and what are the major ones commited in that particular part of town say Alta Vista for example. They also have school information too if you were moving some place with kids. This would be a good place to check out even the schertz -cibolo-Live Oak-Selma-universal City area as well.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:25 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,514,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Are kids/schools a player???? That would make a HUGE difference in many of your zero'ed in on areas unless you are willing to enroll/drive to private schools.
They said that wasn't an issue, but those areas don't require private schools. Plenty of local families send their kids to local public schools.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,514,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Mahncke Park used to be a little sketchy. Has it cleaned up in recent years?
It's definitely on the upswing.

All those areas are great places to live.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,312 times
Thank you everyone for the awesome replies!

We were only able to visit for one day during the ACL weekend last October but enjoyed our time. We spent most of it driving through the various aforementioned neighborhoods, but it was too little time to really get a good feel for each of the areas.

We're hoping to visit again within the next couple of months. I'm sure I'll have more questions once we visit.

I've been going through a daily routine of checking Zillow/Trulia and just marking properties that look appealing. Obviously, they probably won't be available in 4 months, but at least I'm getting an idea of the type of construction in each of the areas.

Still a ways away, but getting things are getting more exciting...

Old 03-01-2016, 09:55 PM

6,458 posts, read 9,376,712 times
One word of advice - if it was built by Ray Ellison, Rayco or KB....avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or