Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM

32 posts, read 75,217 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I have been reading for the last few weeks, and thank you all for the information! I have some more questions I would love some advice on!
I am moving from Seattle to San Antonio for a new job opportunity. I will be working for the city, so I will be commuting downtown city center every day.
I am a single mom, so I have extra concerns about safety, community feel and so on. My questions are:

1. Any great short term hotels or vacation rentals recommended for 1week-2 months while we figure out what we are doing next? My budget would be around $1400 per month. we will be arriving early April.

2. I have two young sons 5 and 7. My 7 year old has autism, is extremely smart, but nonverbal and with high anxiety. I want to get us all settled as soon as possible. I would like to buy a 4 bedroom 3 bath house for preferably under $350K in a nice neighborhood. I may consider renting for a year first, but would really like to buy so we can have stability quickly. We have all been through a lot, and are looking for a fresh start. I have been considering Alamo Heights(not sure I can afford it), Stone Oak, Alamo Ranch, and Boerne. Should I look anywhere else?

3. Any recommendations for fantastic autism programs(I've read a little, but would love some recent experiences)? Preferably public schools, but I am willing to look at private, I will just need to shift my budget.

4. How crazy of a commute am I looking at? 20 minutes or under would be ideal, but I am flexible with a great neighborhood.

5. Any one recommend great ABA therapists?

6. We love riding. Any stables with horseback ridding lessons recommended?

7.Anywhere I should watch out for crime?

Thank you for any advice! we are excited but nervous. It is a big change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 12:55 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,049,903 times
#7 watching out for crime....everywhere! I've never seen and read of so much property crime, until here. Be careful with your things and use common sense. I would recommend an alarm system, firearm and dog for the home. Fortunately, violent crime is fairly low for the size of the city. A good amount of drunk driving though...it's sad.
I would recommend renting for a year first. I know you want to establish stability..but not at the cost of moving into an area which you might not like. SA is very spread out...rent first.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:04 PM

381 posts, read 1,087,619 times
#5: I am not giving a recommendation but "Behavioral Innovations" is a popular center for private ABA therapy. They have two locations in town. For me, I like living near our DS's ABA center and I also like having his public school nearby to cut down on driving.

Is your son in a mainstream classroom or a self-contained classroom?

Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post
#5: I am not giving a recommendation but "Behavioral Innovations" is a popular center for private ABA therapy. They have two locations in town. For me, I like living near our DS's ABA center and I also like having his public school nearby to cut down on driving.

Is your son in a mainstream classroom or a self-contained classroom?
My son is in a combination. I am open to either, but he is at or above grade level so I would like to keep that up. 😉

Old 03-04-2016, 05:52 PM

So if we do decide to rent, any community recommendations?
Any short term apartment recommendations or advice?
Thanks!!

Old 03-04-2016, 06:09 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,743,952 times
I would rent in the area that most interests you long-term. That way, you'll get the best "feel" for how it migh work for you long term.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,590 times
# 5 here [url]https://www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide/by-state/106/Applied%20Behavior%20Analysis%20(ABA)/TX[/url]

Old 03-04-2016, 07:19 PM

114 posts, read 159,795 times
Some apartments offer executive apartments, which are furnished apts to rent for weeks or a few months. When we moved here, we contacted an apartment locator who found us a couple to choose from, and rented it for 6 weeks. We looked at an extended stay type place, but it was more expensive than the executive apt and didn't have a full kitchen for us to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio