Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:49 PM

27 posts, read 24,731 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband is going to be relocated at San Antonio this year. We have a 10 years old boy so we definitely want to live in the best school district and for what I've read, AHISD is the one. We are going to be living there only for two-three years. My questions are:

1. Are schools from AHISD really the best?
2. Since we are going to stay there for a short period of time we are thinking about renting an apartment or a town house. Is it possible to find something to rent in that area or are there only big houses to buy?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 PM

232 posts, read 379,653 times
By the stats, AHISD is the best in SA and I think #10 in the state in the last survey. Both of my children went and graduated there and we still live in the area. There are apts and houses for rent within the district, both in the city of SA, Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills. You should be able to find plenty of info online or contact a local realtor for more help. I didn't grow up on this part of town but I made sure I raised my family here, if that helps. Also if purchasing a home, over the last 30 years through all of the economic turmoil, our values never went down, only flatlined at the worse.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:14 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
Pay attention to whether the community is gated or not. Alamo Heights has a crazy amount car and home break-ins.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Pay attention to whether the community is gated or not. Alamo Heights has a crazy amount car and home break-ins.
The municipalities of Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, and Olmos park, have their own city governments, and their own fire and police forces. Most of the residents of those municipalities will tell you that police presence & response is superior to that of the City Of San Antonio.

Outside of a few high-end apartment/condo/townhouse communities, almost nothing in the way of gated neighborhoods in the Alamo Heights School District.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
I think you're in luck -- with the recent apartment building boom, you will have several options. I recommend going to Realtor.com and using 78209 (For Rent) as your search term. Each entry provides school district information, though you have to scroll down a bit. Please note that not all of 78209 is AHISD. Some properties -- single family homes and apartments alike -- are in NEISD. A ZIP Code search alone will not suffice.

I looked this morning and options include Artessa at Quarry Village, Quarry Townhomes, a small apartment community on Lorenz Road (which is walking distance to the schools); 1111 Austin Highway, and so forth. Just keep double checking the school district info.

Finally, property crime is not a huge problem in that area. In San Antonio overall -- yes, the city has long been known for higher than average property crime. But 78209 is pretty calm. Good luck!! And welcome to San Antonio. I think you'll really enjoy living there.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Pretty much the funniest thing I will read all day! As has been pointed out Alamo heights has its own police force that makes the area one of the safest in the city. There are zero gated communities for single family homes and just a few apartment complex have them, new ones, to limit access.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Pretty much the funniest thing I will read all day! As has been pointed out Alamo heights has its own police force that makes the area one of the safest in the city. There are zero gated communities for single family homes and just a few apartment complex have them, new ones, to limit access.
What about oakwell farms? That's gated. Or are you not including that?

Also to the OP, where us your job? The commute from Alamo heights to more northern it southern areas can be rough. Neisd and nisd are also wonderful districts (although finding the best school in those large dirtiest can be tough). Also what is your budget? Alamo heights is pricey, but you do get what you pay for in the area.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
What about oakwell farms? That's gated. Or are you not including that?
That's not even in 78209. Try again.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
What about the recent home invasion reported in the news at Sunset Ridge Apartments where a man broke into a woman's apartment and assaulted her?

She felt safe enough to leave her windows open while taking a nap when it happened.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:30 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
What about the recent home invasion reported in the news at Sunset Ridge Apartments where a man broke into a woman's apartment and assaulted her?

She felt safe enough to leave her windows open while taking a nap when it happened.
Sunset Ridge Apartments are just outside the City Of Alamo Heights, in San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio