Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times

Advertisements

I am shocked to hear that you aren't finding anything "nice" in SA for $550,000. It seems like that would be more than enough for a lot of "nice" neighborhoods. In addition the the areas mentioned, you could look at the Dominion. It's not a suburb but is gated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 AM

26 posts, read 36,037 times
I kinda understand the OP.

"Nice" in Flower Mound and Frisco is much different than "Nice" in the SA area.

It really is a different world in many of the DFW northern suburbs. To be honest, areas like Stone Oak, Shavano Park, and Deerfield are pretty "average" for Flower Mound and Frisco.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:09 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Resident View Post

It really is a different world in many of the DFW northern suburbs. To be honest, areas like Stone Oak, Shavano Park, and Deerfield are pretty "average" for Flower Mound and Frisco.
That is what I was thinking also, which is why I wondered if the OP should lower his expectations for what he can get at $550K.

It is hard for a local to imagine what an outsider's expectations are for that amount.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:15 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Resident View Post

Which is EXACTLY why nice places like Stone Oak and Alamo Ranch wanted to incorporate like the Dallas suburbs were able to. But San Antonio says no and the areas can't stay as nice as they would have.

Another thing to keep in mind is San Antonio is a third the size of Dallas.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:21 AM

Dallas is 385 mi² while San Antonio is 465 mi². Saying San Antonio is a third the size of Dallas is hardly true at all.

What you are doing is including the surrounding areas (metro, suburbs, etc) I guess.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Dallas is 385 mi² while San Antonio is 465 mi². Saying San Antonio is a third the size of Dallas is hardly true at all.

What you are doing is including the surrounding areas (metro, suburbs, etc) I guess.
If you put your thinking cap on population was clearly the point.

San Antonio 2,328,652 growing by 46,451

Dallas 6,954,330 growing by 131,217

Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If you put your thinking cap on population was clearly the point.

San Antonio 2,328,652 growing by 46,451

Dallas 6,954,330 growing by 131,217
Show me where population was mentioned beforehand?

If you really want to go by population. Dallas area proper is still smaller with a population of 1,281,047, as of 2014 compared to San Antonio's population of 1,409,019 in 2014.

You are just throwing in metro numbers to make Dallas look bigger.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 PM

26 posts, read 36,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Which is EXACTLY why nice places like Stone Oak and Alamo Ranch wanted to incorporate like the Dallas suburbs were able to. But San Antonio says no and the areas can't stay as nice as they would have.

Another thing to keep in mind is San Antonio is a third the size of Dallas.

Great point taken. I don't think city area size or population size are driving factors on why the DFW burbs are so much nicer than the SA burbs.

I think factors like (1) SMALL CITY GOVERNMENT, i.e. Flower Mound, Frisco, and in SA's case Boerne, Garden Ridge being well and honestly run and (2) DEEP-POCKETED, INVOLVED CITIZENS demanding, and voting for, higher standards of living, determine how nice places are built out and maintained.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:17 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyntex View Post
I recently just moved to San Antonio from the Dallas fortworth area. I'm used to living in fairly decent suburbs there. Since moving here I haven't found many surrounding towns or suburbs that just wowed me which leads me to believe I'm not looking in the right places. I'm pretty optimistic and open minded that I will find some where comparable though. What area could I afford with a budget of 550,000 for a house in San Antonio or surrounding areas. Ideally somewhere safe and or gated in a newer subdivision. I was told that in order to be in a good area I would need a budget of 750,000 which if that's the case new braunfels and bulverde make much more sense if I have to spend that. Id prefer to stick with my original budget and stay in San Antonio. Recommendations any one ?
Agree with previous posters that SA is not Dallas. They're are not as many suburbs here for the reasons previously listed. The best suburbs that come to mind, sans the older "bubble" towns of Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, Olmos Park, Shavano Park, etc. would be Helotes, Boerne, Garden Ridge, Fair Oaks Ranch and Timberwood Park. Annexations are the rage in Bexar County. I guess SA is more like Houston...just a big bully

Old 03-10-2016, 01:44 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
I'm wondering where the OP has looked. Searching Stone Oak where I live the houses don't look so different from Frisco and Flower Mound in that range. A little heavier on the Mediterranean style but I do see in up there as well. Schools are excellent, shopping is excellent, houses in that range are at least gated and probably a manned gate.

I live in a house under $300k with no gates and I feel safe here. Love the schools and people as well. We also have lovely hills and well maintained roads/medians.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 03-10-2016 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio