Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:08 AM

102 posts, read 128,801 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from people who are leaving San Antonio , or are thinking of leaving, or who have left San Antonio . What reasons did you have for leaving? Where did you go? Do you have any regrets about leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 02:22 AM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Are YOU planning to leave? What's your story?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:10 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Mine was for personal reasons, to be closer to someone I was in a relationship with. However, it was also to do something different and to be somewhere different. I was raised in San Antonio and was feeling stale snd in a rut. I'm in Austin now. It's close but far enough to be away from family. While money was important, and career advancement, it wasn't a main reason. With that being said I'm making $8k more a year and feel like I'm better off here than I was in SA. I afraid you'll get a lot of military responses in this thread since a large majority of people that use this forum relocated for military reasons....and probably left for those same reasons.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 03-14-2016 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 07:46 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
I left for money. Pure and simple. Have not regretted it. I've done very well -- worked in the private sector and now gliding toward retirement with the federal government. Every once in a while a friend will ask if I plan to return. Outside of DoD, there are limited government jobs in SA. Just not appealing to me.

The place I worked at in SA was nickel and diming employees. They acted like "this is the cheapest place on earth, so why should I pay you more?" I actually came to work one day, and we had on our desk a memo entitled, "The cost of employing you." It had all their benefits lined up, taxes they were paying, in addition to other items I thought was odd. I will say that they have changed, They are now hiring more skilled professionals and (I would assume) are paying a higher salary. But it took 8 years and the loss of some good people to wake up.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimoso48 View Post
I'd like to hear from people who are leaving San Antonio , or are thinking of leaving, or who have left San Antonio . What reasons did you have for leaving? Where did you go? Do you have any regrets about leaving?
What are you trying to accomplish with this thread?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:06 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Any tips on relief work and aid for Syria near Damascus?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:24 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
I left for college and then a job and came back after 9 years. I missed SA and wanted to part of the movement to make SA a greater city (already great in my eyes and I grew up in the NE). I didn't want to ride the coattails of others. SA is far from perfect, but it's the only city I would want to be at in Texas.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:21 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,530,019 times
I went to high school mostly in rural South Bexar County but went to Burbank High my senior year to graduate in 2000, I needed to get away from my “friends” at my original high school otherwise I was never going to graduate. At Burbank, an inner city school, I felt like the smart kid and graduated easily. I spent three years working menial customer service call center jobs after high school and just felt stuck in a rut (as others have stated above), once again I felt like I needed to get away from my family, friends and “friends” who I felt were keeping from maturing.

I came to Southern CA and have been living here ever since. I learned to survive on my own (away from family) in a very expensive city, went back to school and started a nice little career for myself. Had I stayed in San Antonio, I am not sure I would be as far along family/career wise as I am now. But I don’t blame my hometown for me not being to make it, It was my personal circumstances, as a matter of fact, I see people who I met when I was younger and first arrived here 12 years ago who seem to be stuck in the same rut here that I ran away from in SA. It could happen anywhere.

I am 34 and still go to SA a couple of times a year to visit my family, but I don't see myself moving back at least not while my young children are in school.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:30 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I left for college and then a job and came back after 9 years. I missed SA and wanted to part of the movement to make SA a greater city (already great in my eyes and I grew up in the NE). I didn't want to ride the coattails of others.
I like this ^^ very noble to leave to grow as a person but come back to make your hometown a better place.

I am curious, did you start your career elsewhere and then moved back or were you able to get it going in SA?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:34 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,494 times
We had planned to retire out of the military in SA and tried it for eight years and have NO regrets about moving. It never felt like "home" being from the mid-west. We did not like the extreme summers, litter, loose dogs.
I remember the first time we went to our new grocery store in Missouri for the first time. It was around Christmas and all the songs were in English. We just kind of stopped and looked at each other...it was wonderful, but surprising after living in SA for so long.
I'm sure SA locals would find my state hard to feel like home in, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio