Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM

454 posts, read 504,893 times

Advertisements

hispanic female. I'm 50/50 on both candidates. Both have some positives and some negatives, and I can't decide how significant those negatives are.

My main concern now is not so much idealistic/theory/principles but strategic: who is more likely to beat McCain. In 2000, I was actually glad GWB won the nomination as I thought he'd be much easier for Gore to beat than McCain. Now I try not to even consider that, given how wrong I was. Though I'm a pretty left-leaning liberal, I could have tolerated McCain in 2000. Not in 2008.

That said, I have zero idea how my vote compares to other hispanics in SA. My friends don't fall into any one category that you can label. I'm not fond of referring to any vote by such labels, because they're rarely accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
Hillary for me

Old 02-11-2008, 05:16 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
Hillary of course! Why would anybody want to elect a man that supported GWB in all his folly? Besides McCain does not have enough brain cells functioning at his ripe old age. With Hillary you get two brains for the price of one... I feel alot more secure with Hillary and Bill in the WH... experience and high intelligence equal stability in my book.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:28 PM

27 posts, read 68,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
hispanic female. I'm 50/50 on both candidates. Both have some positives and some negatives, and I can't decide how significant those negatives are.

My main concern now is not so much idealistic/theory/principles but strategic: who is more likely to beat McCain. In 2000, I was actually glad GWB won the nomination as I thought he'd be much easier for Gore to beat than McCain. Now I try not to even consider that, given how wrong I was. Though I'm a pretty left-leaning liberal, I could have tolerated McCain in 2000. Not in 2008.

That said, I have zero idea how my vote compares to other hispanics in SA. My friends don't fall into any one category that you can label. I'm not fond of referring to any vote by such labels, because they're rarely accurate.
Great post and very informative, I must say.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM

I don't understand why so many people like Obama? Do you? My guess it that he is smooth/polished, young, talks about change which appeals to young people. Also my second guess is that alot of people still have a negative opinion of the Clinton's which I never really understood anyway. I always liked both of them warts and all. I care more about their knowledge level and ability to get things done that make a positive difference... not their sexual escapades or the opinion that Hillary is a "*&%$#". I never understood why anybody would vote for Bush either. I hope things do not go awry again... we can't afford to make another mistake. Obama does not have the experience or knowledge level that the Clinton's have... Obama seems to have the charisma... I am not impressed. Although I would take my chances with Obama rather than McCain.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,039 times
My candidate has long dropped out (Fred Thompson), but between the three still left, it'll have to be McCain. At least with McCain, there is a chance that we won't have a president pushing for socialized health care and increased taxes.

Heck, we may even continue fighting the war on terror. I will never be able to vote for someone who expresses more disdain for our current President (even though I don't agree with him on all things) than they do for terrorists.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM

454 posts, read 504,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I don't understand why so many people like Obama? Do you? My guess it that he is smooth/polished, young, talks about change which appeals to young people.
One of the things that appeals to me about Obama (I'm still undecided, and I'm old enough that I voted in the Reagan era), is that he is new and not laden with all the baggage. Clinton is a political animal, and knows how to work the system - that's a good thing in general, but could also be a hindrance if she's hesitant to rock the boat for fear of political backlash,which she knows well. Obama, probably because of his inexperience/lacking in being a part of the 'machine', seems more willing to take risky political chances - that may make him a one term president, but that's ok.

Does that make sense? I liken it to some colleagues I have in a vast bureaucractic organization - the 'experienced' ones aren't willing to make any changes because they feel they tried them in the past and got burned, while those of us new to the organization are brimming with new ideas and wanting to go in a whole new direction. Now that the latter group have become more dominant, changes are actually occuring. I think Obama has the potential to fall into that latter camp, and bring some people with him.

Note I think highly of both, and couldn't care less about the "scandals" of Bill (nor did I care then) or their personal lives. I think Clinton is smart, capable, and knows the system and would represent us well. I think either would be respected on the global stage, which is very important to me in a world leader.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 57,065 times
I think that our standing in the world has changed and not for the better. I think Obama can change that just by getting elected. I like Hilary, but I just don't think its right for 2 familys to run the country. There has been a Bush or Clinton on the ballot and in the White House since I have been able to vote. It just seems like a monarchy and I don't know that I could put my vote in support of that.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 PM

I see your point Chakapu and it makes perfect sense but I do not believe for one minute that Obama is naive when it comes to politic-ing or anything else. I am suspicious that someone can come out of nowhere and suddenly be the star of the show... his talents may be superficial. He is putting on a great show and once again everybody is falling for it. Americans are suckers for a fresh and pretty face. I am trusting my instincts on this one and hoping that reality will kick in come election time. Hillary is the most competent player here and will do wonders for our global image. I think she can get the economy going in the right direction as well. Remember she has Bill to help her... nothing wrong with that... he did wonders for our economy. I am voting for experience and someone that can get the hard job done and not just look pretty.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 PM

27 posts, read 68,852 times
It just sucks that Obama has the upper hand and by that I mean the "hipster" vote and the Hollywood vote.........Not fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio