Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 PM

61 posts, read 324,891 times

Advertisements

We have been trying to get back home (Texas) now for a few years. Last year we had a contract on a house in New Braunfels (so excited) and my husbands job here made many promises to keep him here (TN). They have come up short concerning these promises and like dummies, we bought another house here to keep our daughter in the school we already had her in. The mortgage is huge (here we could afford it) an selling here may use up any savings we have, and without the opportunity to find a job there because of his schedule here, we do not know what to do. Anyone out there experience anything like this? We are seriously thinking of taking a leap of faith in the near future, but our mortgage is stopping us! Salary here is hard to beat and cost of living is less $$$$... But life's too short, Yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:01 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,312 times
If you ain't happy...you ain't happy . I can't imagine that it's THAT much cheaper to live in TN. I do a lot of business near Memphis (Germantown, to be exact)...houses don't seem cheaper. I know the property tax is much lower (and no state income tax), but the sales tax is the highest in the country.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
My recommendation is that unless DH is in an extremely portable and high-demand career, don't abandon a job and move without a job. Your leap of faith will fall short of your dreams.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:10 PM

61 posts, read 324,891 times
DH is the GM of a large Chevy dealership, so not portable or high demand.... In fact hard gig to get. Good dealerships do not see turnover in this position often, almost never. He was blessed to be given this opportunity so young. He is fantastic at his job, however, he works about 90 hours a week and it is taking its toll... He has even thought of a career change, "He could sell ketchup popcicles to a woman in white gloves" (Tommy Boy)... All joking aside, he is a fine man and a great leader, but he's 40 and this job is what he knows...

Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 PM

90 hours a week???? Jesus!!!! I don't think I log 90 hours in a month.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,885 times
You need to decide where your priorities are.....we moved to east Texas to have our youngest get out of the DFW metroplex and live more of a country lifestyle and it has been a HUGE blessing on our family. We took about at 30,000 cut in pay but we are making it just fine. It's all a matter as to what's important...like wise...some couples can't handle financial hardship....think long and hard about it.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitguru View Post
DH is the GM of a large Chevy dealership, so not portable or high demand.... In fact hard gig to get. Good dealerships do not see turnover in this position often, almost never. He was blessed to be given this opportunity so young. He is fantastic at his job, however, he works about 90 hours a week and it is taking its toll... He has even thought of a career change, "He could sell ketchup popcicles to a woman in white gloves" (Tommy Boy)... All joking aside, he is a fine man and a great leader, but he's 40 and this job is what he knows...
If he's as good as you say he is, surely his bosses recognize that. Can't they lighten his workload, or shorten his hours some? If they feel they may lose him wouldn't they want to negotiate with him? I understand that's a high-pressure position, but 90 hours--when do you ever see him? There's only 168
hours in a week, and I'm assuming he sleeps a bit. I just think life is too short for that, but then again, it's a priority thing. I could make a lot more money, but I would rather be with my family.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,082 times
If it were me, I would get a plan in place first. Develop a plan "B" type business - there are lots out there that your DH would probably be successful in if he's as talented a salesperson as you say he is (and I don't doubt that he is!). If you have a substantial savings that would help, you could even put your house on the market and see what happens. With no big rush to sell the house you could take your time. Consider developing a plan to relocate in, say a year, and spend the year getting your financial ducks in a row. Just some food for thought.

Worling 90 hours a week doesn't sound like much of a life to me. I know the car dealership business can really take it's toll on folks - tough business IMHO.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
Make the move, but find a job first. Send his resume out. Alot of companies out of state will conduct phone interviews and if they like you then fly you out. This helped us when we were doing our move. Moves cost money and even if you sell your house you will incur expenses for the move. Find the right company and they may help pay for that move.

Firstclass.....what do you do in Germantown? We lived in that area for about four years...before moving to Atlanta...before coming back to Texas

Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 PM

I'm a consultant (11 years now). I specialize in foreign tax transactions...mostly Fortune 500 firms. Pfizer (one of my clients for many years) is located out near Kirby Parkway and Winchester. A friend of mine owns a few franchised Hilton branded hotels, so I stay at one of his places in Germantown every time I'm in the area. I usually make 3 visits there per quarter...so 12 trips per annum. The Germantown area is much nicer than where the client is located, but I've had my rental car broken into twice in the hotel parking lot over the years. Go figure.
Last time out,just a few weeks ago, we were evacuated by the hotel twice and had to hide under the stairwells due to numerous tornadoes in the area...that was an experience.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 03-05-2008 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio