Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I will be making a quick 24 hour trip to San Antonio for business and will have one evening to check it out. I will have some free time from 5pm to midnight this Wednesday evening.

If I want a quick feel of San Antonio, what should I see. I heard about the Riverwalk, what is that about? Also it would be cool to see the Alamo. I definitely want to get a taste of the city as I may relocate for a short stint there next year if I like it. I like walking, nightlife, shopping, and tacos. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:46 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Park at Rivercenter mall, walk to the Alamo, then go to the Riverwalk and walk along until you find a restaurant you want to eat at. There's not as much going on as there is on the weekends, but you can find tacos everywhere

Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 AM

153 posts, read 198,205 times
Are you willing to drive 7 miles north after visiting Rivercenter Mall/The Alamo/River Walk? I highly recommend Torchy's Tacos (located on 999 E Basse Rd, San Antonio, TX 78209). They close at 10pm tonight, Torchy's Tacos | Damn Good Tacos.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:24 PM

318 posts, read 570,423 times
I'd recommend a river barge tour to get a sense for downtown and the Riverwalk, see the Alamo and then head to the Pearl Brewery area for dinner by 7:00 or 8:00. Not typical Tex-Mex that you get in San Antonio, but I'd recommend tacos and margaritas at La Gloria at the Pearl - it's a good hang out spot; very casual. After dinner drinks at Blue Box or the Sternewirth in Hotel Emma (both short walking distance from La Gloria) or the rooftop at Paramour if later. Uber back to downtown before midnight and see how activity is at the Esquire, Haunt in the St. Anthony, Bohanan's bar, or the Last Word. Or just watch the Spurs game with a bunch of crazy people at the Ticket Sports Bar... I'm assuming you're staying downtown.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
If you want to experience a real San Antonio taco please DO NOT go to Torchy's. (and that comes form someone who likes eating Torchy's)

For tacos try:

SoLuna on Broadway 5 miles N of DT
Rosarios
Barriba on the river

Old 03-23-2016, 01:09 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If you want to experience a real San Antonio taco please DO NOT go to Torchy's. (and that comes form someone who likes eating Torchy's)

For tacos try:

SoLuna on Broadway 5 miles N of DT
Rosarios
Barriba on the river
I do not understand Torchy's. It's bland and just kind of a lame concept. I would say to the op should river taxi it up to the pearl area and check it out. That is, if they are downtown. If they are not downtown there are plenty of other areas of the city to see.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:51 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
I hope you are staying on the River Walk--given your available time, it is all you need for dining and entertainment. It is an awesome evening tourist attraction--lots of restaurants and bars...no shortage of options, even on foot. About once a year, we will get a river front room for one night and have dinner and visit a few bars...no worries when you stroll from last call to the river level entrance of your hotel. Mid-week should be no wait even at the better restaurants.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 PM

80 posts, read 57,996 times
vdy1985,

IF it was me that was coming here for ONE day, I'd stay at the Emily Morgan hotel, which is REALLY close to our Alamo Shrine & then "do the riverwalk" as others here said.

yours, satx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: