Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:37 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times

Advertisements

Trust me, if the grill was fixable I would have bought the parts to extend the life of it.

The bottom of it was completely rusted out, grease guard totally gone, burners almost all gone. If you turned it on you were burning rust more than anything else which is why I haven't used it for ages.

I'm not sure what metal (that was left anyway) it was composed of but I can't see how it would be profitable to take unless you were expecting to get a decent sized load of junk.

Oh well, it's no longer in my possession and I no longer have to hear the wife asking me 'when are you going to get rid of it'.

I was bummed (for a second, maybe two) because I wanted to see how much and what types of trash Tiger would take. Waste Management would have charged me $$$ for a special pickup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,678 times
I've had people pull up to my house on Monday mornings and go through my green recycle bin and take the cans.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 PM

454 posts, read 505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
I've had people pull up to my house on Monday mornings and go through my green recycle bin and take the cans.
You know, when I lived in Indiana that happened weekly. However I've never seen it here, which is surprising given the neighborhood (some vagrant types in the vicinity). I figured TX didn't offer $ for them.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
"One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure"

Anyhow, I can attest that Tiger will pick up most anything you put on the curb. I suspect the piece-of-crap 27" TV I bought from Best Buy that died less than two years later was as big as and most definitely heavier than your grill, and they took it no problem. And I know it wasn't anyone else, as I put it out well in advance the night before and it was still there the next morning. My wife kept tabs on it and said it was there up to the point that the Tiger picked up the garbage.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-12-2008, 02:49 PM

260 posts, read 1,136,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
You know, when I lived in Indiana that happened weekly. However I've never seen it here, which is surprising given the neighborhood (some vagrant types in the vicinity). I figured TX didn't offer $ for them.
There's a couple in our neighborhood who do this, as a fundraiser for their church. They stopped by when we first moved to the neighborhood to ask our permission - we've taken to putting the cans together in a separate plastic bag for them.

It's funny the reactions people get for doing this type of thing. I'm a professional with a good paying job, but I often buy things at garage sales, thrift stores, or ebay. I figure the less I spend on stuff, the more stuff I can get - it's like I've given myself a raise! A coworker once told me that he made too much money to worry over what something cost. I don't think I'd ever make that much money. It's in my genes somewhere, I guess...

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM

454 posts, read 505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndip View Post
There's a couple in our neighborhood who do this, as a fundraiser for their church. They stopped by when we first moved to the neighborhood to ask our permission - we've taken to putting the cans together in a separate plastic bag for them.

It's funny the reactions people get for doing this type of thing. I'm a professional with a good paying job, but I often buy things at garage sales, thrift stores, or ebay. I figure the less I spend on stuff, the more stuff I can get - it's like I've given myself a raise! A coworker once told me that he made too much money to worry over what something cost. I don't think I'd ever make that much money. It's in my genes somewhere, I guess...

As kids we always collected cans and newspapers for $$ (and bottles too, but those we had to take down to the neigborhood liquor store in our wagon ourselves). I'd likely have our kids do the same once they got to an age for it. For me, though, I confess I'm happy to just recycle. I don't have the time or energy to drive over for it.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
No kidding, our neighbors put out an old crappy BMX bike and I saw some guy in a late-model Lexus stop and put it in his trunk!

Cheers! M2
There might be a reason he can afford that Lexus- he saves money elsewhere!!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
What does Tigar do with all of the stuff that is picks up? Does it recycle the TV sets bicycles and gas grills? Do they have their own landfill or do they use the same ones that the city of SA uses?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I replaced a water heater myself. I and a friend struggled to get the old one out it was so full of lime. It took two of us to roll it down the driveway to the curb. We went back to the back of the house and I picked up some loose parts and went to put them out with the old water heater at the curb. IT WASN"T THERE!!!! It took about 5 minutes for it to be gone. Now that's service. I know a person took it for the metal, it had to be two people at least to get it and lift it into some vehicle. Since then I've always put out appliances and misc. stuff and it always disappears.
Better than a landfill.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Yeah you can count on someone else picking up your used stuff. I have seen it. I seen a neighbor put out some stuff and no sooner had he turned his back .. someone was picking through it taking out stuff. Hey, its all good.. they may have some use for it and I say go for it.. that way the stuff doesnt stand on the corner for 10 years as it usually does when you put stuff out for SA to pick up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio