Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to San Antonio concerned about traffic, seeking information on traffic areas to avoid, traffic inside 410 loop on Interstate 10

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM

454 posts, read 505,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Is it just me or even at five o' clock i can get from 410 & (87) Rigsby Ave all the way to 1-10 and DeZavala in under 45 minutes using 410. Where do you people live that the commute take an hour???
I work on Babcock/Louis Pasteur. It can take 10-15 minutes minimum just to get to the highway at 5pm. If I'm going to pick my daugther up at daycare at SE Military/I-37, the total trip time is usually clos to 1 hour, longer if there's an accident which happens often. There's a big bottleneck downtown and used to be at I-10/410, but the new lanes make that much better.

If I leave at 4:45, I can make it there in 30 mins.

If I'm going straight home, I can get there in 30 mins, as I bypass downtown traffic. The worst parts now are probably the surface streets.

IMO, that's too much traffic! And I'm going *against* traffic for most of it.

Sorry, having grown up in Los Angeles, I really have no desire to see that repeated here. Sure, it's not as bad as elsewhere, but it's not good either, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,179 times
I'm not saying that SA traffic is non-existent, but how is it that you get so stuck in traffic? I used to work off of Harry Wurzbach and 410 and drive to Zarzamora and 35 during rush hour and make it in 25 minutes...taking 410 to 281, then 281 to 35 through downtown until I reached my destination. I didn't think it was bad at all considering the distance.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I'm not saying that SA traffic is non-existent, but how is it that you get so stuck in traffic? I used to work off of Harry Wurzbach and 410 and drive to Zarzamora and 35 during rush hour and make it in 25 minutes...taking 410 to 281, then 281 to 35 through downtown until I reached my destination. I didn't think it was bad at all considering the distance.
A significant chunk is on the surface streets, and as I said, the two bottlenecks at I10/410 and then downtown around I35N/S split and again heading south either via I37 or I35 to Hwy90East.

I've sat in plenty of bumper-to-bumper traffic. Last week I was coming from Austin and sat on I-35 just north of 1604 forever, and then again on 1604W to I-10, traffic was moving at maybe 35-40mph at 6:30. The other direction was stop and go.

See, when I was younger in LA, I could drive to downtown in 35 minutes. Everyone said that "wasn't too bad." As the years passed, that trip became 45 mins *if* you left at odd hours, like 6am. By the time I moved from CA in 1992, that trip was more than an hour -on a good day, with no accidents - ANY time of the day or night. There was no missing rush hour. Between 6am-7pm, that trip is anywhere from 1.5 hours on, unless you get very lucky. And I drive fast ;-)

Yes, SA traffic isn't as bad as all that. I just don't want to see it *become* that. When I first moved to SA in 2001, my first thought was "This is like LA in the 70s." That's not a good thing, IMO. I'd be thrilled if we had not only reasonable public transportation but also had smart growth which focused on revitalizing the inner city rather than expanding suburban sprawl.

As for me, I was spoiled as I used to walk to work downtown. Alas my office moved and now I'm stuck driving. Yes, it could be a lot worse. I've been there. Done that. That doesn't make it better, and as long as the city continues its suburban sprawl, it'll only get worse.

That's my beef when people say "its not as bad as X". That's like saying to someone who has melanoma, "Well, it's not as bad as stomach cancer." Why contribute to it?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
A significant chunk is on the surface streets, and as I said, the two bottlenecks at I10/410 and then downtown around I35N/S split and again heading south either via I37 or I35 to Hwy90East.

I've sat in plenty of bumper-to-bumper traffic. Last week I was coming from Austin and sat on I-35 just north of 1604 forever, and then again on 1604W to I-10, traffic was moving at maybe 35-40mph at 6:30. The other direction was stop and go.

See, when I was younger in LA, I could drive to downtown in 35 minutes. Everyone said that "wasn't too bad." As the years passed, that trip became 45 mins *if* you left at odd hours, like 6am. By the time I moved from CA in 1992, that trip was more than an hour -on a good day, with no accidents - ANY time of the day or night. There was no missing rush hour. Between 6am-7pm, that trip is anywhere from 1.5 hours on, unless you get very lucky. And I drive fast ;-)

Yes, SA traffic isn't as bad as all that. I just don't want to see it *become* that. When I first moved to SA in 2001, my first thought was "This is like LA in the 70s." That's not a good thing, IMO. I'd be thrilled if we had not only reasonable public transportation but also had smart growth which focused on revitalizing the inner city rather than expanding suburban sprawl.

As for me, I was spoiled as I used to walk to work downtown. Alas my office moved and now I'm stuck driving. Yes, it could be a lot worse. I've been there. Done that. That doesn't make it better, and as long as the city continues its suburban sprawl, it'll only get worse.

That's my beef when people say "its not as bad as X". That's like saying to someone who has melanoma, "Well, it's not as bad as stomach cancer." Why contribute to it?
I gotcha! I was just wondering where it was that you were getting so tied up when I was able to make it across town in less than half an hour.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I gotcha! I was just wondering where it was that you were getting so tied up when I was able to make it across town in less than half an hour.
OK

Yeah, my husband can make it from Culebra/Callaghan/151 to I37/SE Military in 15 minutes at 5pm...at least he used to. He's already noticed traffic picking up - or rather, slowing down. Even just the freaking exit at I37/SE Military going West has gotten insane in the past year. You can literally sit there for 10 mins at times. Fortunately, we go east at that point.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:28 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Good summation of traffic in SA, it's like a snowball. When I first moved here in 2001 I thought it was heaven because it didn't really exist. Now it seems to get worse every month and it shows no sign of ever stopping..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio