Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times

Advertisements

I've lived here almost 14 years and don't feel like an outsider, nor do I give a second thought to the fact that most of my coworkers are Hispanic and I'm not.

I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Austin recently and I did notice the lower percentage of Hispanic people there. It was like something important was missing, and it felt like I wasn't in Texas anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
As I see it culture not color is most likely to present problems. The face of San Antonio has changed drastically over the past 40-50 years. I think we all get along quite well here despite some animosities.
I completely agree with this. An example from my perspective...

I like black people, I have a lot of really good friends that are black and yet I despise the ghetto thug culture that permeates many people that are black. I don't hate black people, I hate that specific culture and obviously not all black people are a part of that culture and yet that culture is predominantly associated with them.

I don't hate European people but I really dislike the Euro culture. I don't hate Mexican people but I really came to dislike much of the culture of San Antonio. I actually like Mexican people quite a bit and have hundreds of friends that happen to be Mexican.

I like the suburban white culture because that is what I grew up with and what I am most comfortable with. It would be really hard to call me a racist if you could see my social circle but if you knew my opinions on certain cultures, I could completely see someone making the assumption that I am racist. For the record, there are a lot of white people I really don't like, almost always because of their culture.

It sounds funny to say it this way but I guess I am a culturalist. Which is to say, I am very prejudicial about certain cultures. I always give people the benefit of the doubt, right up until they start acting a certain way, then I become judgmental.

I am honest enough with myself to admit that.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 PM

1,038 posts, read 877,398 times
^ Very good post

Thinking it over, I'm less inclined to judge folks based on their skin color, but more on their intellect or general want to learn (or learn more).

Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,649 times
I second that post

Old 04-11-2016, 08:35 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,350,902 times
San Antonio metro area is 51% Hispanic. It is the majority but I never feel out of place. Asians are the fastest growing segment of our fast growing population.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:15 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,649 times
I'm gonna be the jerk, does it really matter if San Antonio is 51% Hispanics? Let's not forget Arizona , new mexico and southern California.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:50 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
I'm gonna be the jerk, does it really matter if San Antonio is 51% Hispanics? Let's not forget Arizona , new mexico and southern California.
No - and if anything, it emphasizes a point. SA is more about getting along with each other than anything else.

Folks around the country have seemed to have forgotten that it's not against the law to offend one another by words or deed. Some folks will be small-minded, and it's their loss. It's fine to try to politely show them the error of their ways, but otherwise just let them be. Life's too danged short to be finding something else to be offended over!!

Old 04-12-2016, 07:57 AM

72 posts, read 108,220 times
Why is the southern part of the city nearly 80% Hispanic if everyone gets along so well? If every white or asian person fit so well in all parts of the city then there would be no areas dominated by one group.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
Why is the southern part of the city nearly 80% Hispanic if everyone gets along so well? If every white or asian person fit so well in all parts of the city then there would be no areas dominated by one group.
Getting along doesn't equate to lifestyle choices. As the city has grown, many folks wanted to buy newer, "nicer" homes. The growth in new building was to the north. Having said that, there are MANY neighborhoods where there's a blend, and others where there's not. That's the choice of those buying/selling.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:28 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,350,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
We are separated more by income than by ethnicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Getting along doesn't equate to lifestyle choices. As the city has grown, many folks wanted to buy newer, "nicer" homes. The growth in new building was to the north. Having said that, there are MANY neighborhoods where there's a blend, and others where there's not. That's the choice of those buying/selling.
As people on the south side move up in income they move north where the housing stock is nicer and more expensive.

South side zip code of 78221
Median home value $81,200
AGI of residents $29,581 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

South side zip code of 78210
Median home value $73,000
AGI of residents $29,850 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

North side zip code 78232
Median home value $188,700
AGI of residents $82,410 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

North side zip code 78258
Median home value $279,700
AGI of residents $118,657 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

All info is from right here on city data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio