Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
Many posters are saying that race, color or culture of a community should not be a big deal, because we are all humans. Sounds good in theory but I suspect Hispanic people who lived in San Antonio all their lives would feel uncomfortable in a community that was all White.
Since you posted in another thread:

"I am spending a month in Texas on business and have spent quite a bit of time in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio and everywhere in between. I am coming in contact with literally thousands of people in a wide variety of interpersonal connections. Almost without exception, I just keep thinking- "WOW! NEARLY Everyone is so friendly here!" I just can't believe how friendly people are here! (Of course there are a few exceptions, just not many.)

It sure is not that way in the Boston to DC urban belt. But the towns between Dallas and San Antonio are full of people just like the east coast. I imagine the traffic and sprawl of that section of Texas could be just as stressful as living on the east coast. But the social culture is so different.

So,what is the reason why it is so friendly in Texas?"

I am confused by your double talk. Maybe the reason is BECAUSE we see each other as TEXANS vs ethnic individuals. I am curious, why do you find Texas people so friendly in one post and then want to explore us as being potentially unfriendly towards others in another post??? We welcome and share our culture, our beautiful city and all it has to offer with ANYONE who is interested. We do not feel the need to think of ourselves as anything other than TEXANS united.

Maybe your questions should be asked of those cities/places where people DON'T get along as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:27 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
It does seem like double talk. I am confused what the OP's intentions are with this thread and even asked a few posts back but got no answer.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:37 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It does seem like double talk. I am confused what the OP's intentions are with this thread and even asked a few posts back but got no answer.
Some folks will keep trying to stir things until they find a way......

Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 AM

73 posts, read 71,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I completely agree with this. An example from my perspective...

I like black people, I have a lot of really good friends that are black and yet I despise the ghetto thug culture that permeates many people that are black. I don't hate black people, I hate that specific culture and obviously not all black people are a part of that culture and yet that culture is predominantly associated with them.

- I don't hate European people but I really dislike the Euro culture. I don't hate Mexican people but I really came to dislike much of the culture of San Antonio. I actually like Mexican people quite a bit and have hundreds of friends that happen to be Mexican.

I am honest enough with myself to admit that.
This is very sad indeed: I don't hate European people but I really dislike the Euro culture
it is very apparent that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Did you know for a fact that Russia and Turkey are part of Europe ? Did you know that there are hundreds of cultures in Europe ? You dislike all of them based on what ???
Did you know that Hispanics and Latinos are Europeans ? Just go back a couple of generations and you'll end up in Spain.

i have noticed that RACE is a huge deal in the US. every time i apply for a job, as well as doing surveys etc, the company wants to know whether I'm Hispanic Latino, Black, African American, White etc. Even College University applications requite that information. It's not normal.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:03 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormNinja View Post
i have noticed that RACE is a huge deal in the US. every time i apply for a job, as well as doing surveys etc, the company wants to know whether I'm Hispanic Latino, Black, African American, White etc. Even College University applications requite that information. It's not normal.
Actually, that question has been a part of our employment/educational world for decades. You can thank the EEOC and other alphabet agencies for that - it's part of the "some are more equal than others" mindset. Personally, when I was in charge of hiring, I would have my HR block that section out - both race and sex - and review the app based ONLY on qualifications and skillset. I didn't WANT (or need) to know those two tidbits, and didn't want anyone to be able to claim that my hiring was based on them in ANY fashion.

I got into it with an HR manager once, because she claimed that I wasn't hiring enough females. I asked her to bring me ANY applications where they had answered they were physically capable of routinely lifting 80 lbs. She triumphantly brought me back ONE application about an hour later (out of hundreds of old apps), and said "See?!?!!". I pointed out to her that she was approved for hire, but never showed up.......

I was hit with a discrimination lawsuit one time, in which the (ex) employee claimed that I "hated all hispanics". It kinda went sideways on him when our attorney pointed out that 3 of our 7 employees were hispanic, and that I happened to be married to a hispanic at the time. My folks always knew that I didn't care WHAT they were - all I wanted was good quality employees. NOTHING makes me madder than seeing someone be held back - or advanced - because of race OR gender. To be honest, though, I've seen very little of that over the years among successful companies. 99% of the time, such claims are made in an effort to coerce a company into a rehire or settlement despite poor job performance.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Some folks will keep trying to stir things until they find a way......
Glad I am not the only one that sees it that way.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:57 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
EEOC and Affirmative Action were put into place for good reasons. The U.S. has a long history of discrimination. Most people do not understand how Affirmative Action works. It has even been enforced on public HBCUs that did not admit enough white students. Outside of colleges and universities, people are not forced to hire less qualified individuals. Quotas have been ruled as unconstitutional and are only forced upon organizations by the courts when discrimination has been found. A study that submitted the resumes of fictional applicants to ensure qualifications were equal found that those with black-sounding names were 50% less likely to get call-backs.

White people are a large minority in SA. Most blacks, Asians, and Hispanics would be happy with being more than 20% of the population because that's hard to find in many parts of the country. I rarely see minorities worried about a city being 2/3 white at the level that white people seem to be concerned about SA being 2/3 Hispanic. Asians and blacks are a much smaller minority group in SA, so they may see things differently from the mostly white posters on this forum. Some ethnic groups that are fine with white people may look down upon black people.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I don't suspect he/she will answer because I am afraid they did not get the bickering they were hoping to create. Checking out previous posts by this individual, there seems to be a LOT of different questions about different areas of the country and "differences" between people. Throwing the bait into the water hoping for a bite!

Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
"I was looking around and all I saw were Mexican people and no one was speaking Spanish - it was weird." So take that as a small measure of how different San Antonio can be from other Hispanic heavy population centers in the U.S.
That's the big difference in San Antonio VS LA or Phoenix or El Paso, you will run into many "Mexican looking people" who don't speak a word of Spanish. I didn't notice it when I lived there because it was the norm but I certainly did when I moved away and went back after a few years.

In most US cities, Hispanics are immigrants or new comers, not so much in SA and South Tex.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:24 PM

72 posts, read 108,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I don't suspect he/she will answer because I am afraid they did not get the bickering they were hoping to create. Checking out previous posts by this individual, there seems to be a LOT of different questions about different areas of the country and "differences" between people. Throwing the bait into the water hoping for a bite!
Yes I found the people in Texas very friendly but I still am concerned about moving to a place where I am a minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio