Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2006, 07:59 PM

8 posts, read 24,621 times

Advertisements

I think I've decided San Antonio is the place for me too. I'll be coming to check it out in Jan (perfect time to get out of the cold of Salt Lake City!) but won't actually be moving until August. If you guys wouldn't mind offering your opinion to one more person, I'd greatly appreciate it.

In looking around, I'm really thinking about the Cibolo area. My biggest concerns are the schools, nice nieghborhoods that are still affordable for me, and commuting to work. I probably won't have a job there when I move, but I'm hoping to get on with USAA. Is commuting from Cibolo to there realistic? How long of a commute do you think that would be?

The other areas I am thinking are up in New Braunfels, although I think that may be worse?, and the northwest side and the NISD. What do you guys think? Should I consider one more than the others? I'm a single mom with two kids and so I need to be somewhere I feel safe being alone and not too far from my kids while I'm at work.

And while I'm full of questions...I'll be finishing up my bachelor's in finance in August. Should I be worried about finding a job right away? Do you think the job market is good in this area?

Thanks again! This is by far one of the nicest boards on this forum, and that's because y'all are so willing to help! Thanks from the wanna-be newbies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 08:14 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,634 times
Commutting from Cibolo to USAA should be a piece of cake.

35 south to 410, 410 to 10, 10 to USAA.

Cibolo is a very nice twon, growing really fast (population tripled in the last 5 years) that is part of the Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD (SCUC ISD) which has two high schools (Clemens; Steele) with Steele located in Cibolo.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:25 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
Commuting from Cibolo (Schertz area) to USAA a "piece of cake"? I'm waiting for someone else to disagree here, because I'm tired of being the wet blanket here. I would hate for 1lost1 to look into that area, only to find that commute to be loooong.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:30 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Commuting from Cibolo (Schertz area) to USAA a "piece of cake"? I'm waiting for someone else to disagree here, because I'm tired of being the wet blanket here. I would hate for 1lost1 to look into that area, only to find that commute to be loooong.
I never said it wouldn't be "long", I said it'll be a piece of cake as in very easy to travel, as in, not confusing for someone who just moved here.

35 to 410 to 10. It's that simple.

Where did I say "It'll be a quick drive down the street?"

Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Default Move Closer to USAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I agree. On the map it doesn't look like a long trip; however, you would hit traffic all the way going in and out of San Antonio. Your best bet is to look in the I10 De Zavala area that is close to USAA. Although there is traffic there too, your commute would be ALOT shorter.

IMO, your best bet is to land the job first and then look for suitable housing nearby and expand from that area until you find the ideal area.

Good Luck!

Old 11-23-2006, 06:14 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
I live at 10/De Zavala and I think you should look in this area if you do get a job at USAA. The drive from Cibolo is an easy one just a longer travel time and you are going to be father away from your kids. About 30 mins on a good day if you were in Cibolo. Now a traffic accident type of day well you could be on the road forever and alot of the area that you would have to travel if undergoing road construction or they have plans to build an interchange (1604/281 if she decided to go 1604 to work). I would look at the neighborhoods at the Huebner/Babcock area close to USAA every price point good schools and a safe area.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:14 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
You'll love the San Antonio area in January as opposed to SLC but when you move in August, you may wish you were back in SLC. It's ever so hot, usually since May but when August rolls around, there are only two more months of heat.

New Braunfels and Cibolo are both very nice to look at, but I don't know much of anything else about them.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Cibolo to San Antonio is a pretty long commute, I think. I wouldn't want to do it every day, that 's for sure. Traffic is bad here, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! It's not Houston-bad, but bad nonetheless.

I, too, would stick closer to the north/northwest side of San Antonio. The school districts are good, there are job opportunities, and lots to do. If you are interested in working for the new Toyota plant, it is on the southside and that area is on fire right now with growth. I wouldn't want to live down there, simply because I don't have any reason to be on the southside, but I suppose if I worked at Toyota or Brooks, I would not rule it out.

Stone Oak is nice, but traffic is terrible, and it's growing almost daily. I live on the northwest side and am perfectly happy over here. You need to have a good, reliable car because everything in Texas is a pretty long drive, except HEB.

Anyway, San Antonio is a wonderful place to call home. Good luck in your job/home search! If you need a great church home, try Harvest Fellowship when you get here.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 24,621 times
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. It sure makes it easier to narrow down where I want to look during the few days I will be out there.

I'm wondering if maybe I should clarify what a "long commute" is? Right now I leave my house at 7:25-7:30 to be in my office at 8. I think a 30 minute commute is fairly normal and the general average? I'm hoping to not go to much above that. I also thinks it makes a difference if it's mostly all freeway or back roads to get there. And if on the freeway, is it stop and go or slow, steady progress?

I realize I need to come out and look for myself, and I will be in January so I very much appreciate getting some insight from all of you. I am still leaning towards the Cibolo area, but that is based on looking at homes and the schools' stats online. I can get a much better idea when I come out. Getting some names of areas and roads from you all really does help point me in new areas to look and consider. Thanks so much!!

Old 11-25-2006, 03:47 PM

170 posts, read 761,850 times
Hi 1lost1,

In case you do get on at USAA, they do have vanpools...like a carpool but the company owns the van. I work at USAA and take one even though I don't live too far...but I really enjoy not having to deal with driving in traffic and it has saved me $$ on gas. Just thought I'd let you know that option. Also USAA has daycare across the street, I don't think it is cheap and there is usually a waiting list but that is also an option. I'm not familiar w/ Cibolo so I can't give you advice on that. In case you haven't been here in the Summers...they are pretty brutal. The winters are mild...sometimes a bit too mild...it is almost December and I still have my a/c on in my house! But if you like warm weather then this could be the place for you. It is a big city so along with that comes the traffic and crime but I suppose that is hard to avoid these days. Hope some of this helps! Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio