Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

You can find houses for rent here too. The 4 family apartments here are often run down or in areas that don't appeal to everyone. The apartments for rent that you'll see on apartment websites are generally in complexes, rather than a 4-plex or someone's garage apartment.

Apartments have gotten more expensive in the last few years...I was curious how much my last apartment was renting for now. I paid $750/month in 2010 and it's $1050 now. By comparison, my mortgage was $995 when I moved in and it's $1012 now (goes up a bit when property taxes increase). So that's an advantage to buying a house, it might mean paying more than rent at first but when rent increases and your mortgage does not, that's an advantage. Of course with a house you also have to deal with repairs and upkeep and mowing a yard, and buying a house when you first move to a city and don't know the areas very well can be a recipe for disaster.

From the apartment complex you mentioned to Metropolitan Methodist, it's about 18 miles. I think there are a bunch of old houses that have been divided into apartments in the area around the hospital...one of my friends loved apartments like that and we helped him move a few times. I don't know where he found out about the apartments though, maybe word of mouth or flyers posted somewhere, because I never saw any of them advertised anywhere.

For the record, with no kids and both of you working, your income may be too high to qualify for any of the complexes that do affordable living, like the one you mentioned above. They go by family size and income. I don't know how accurate this is: West Creek Townhomes San Antonio, TX 78251 but it says "Income Restricted: 1p-$26,160, 2p-$29,880, 3p-$33,300, 4p-$37,320, 5p-$43,020, 6p-$43,320" You'd have to call the complex to see if that was up to date or if the limits have increased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 07:10 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satbound View Post
How close is close and how far is far for you guys. The way these apartment costs are at i might as well buy a house and pay a mortgage!!! In milwaukee of course there is apartment complexes but also there are 4 family apartments and alot of duplexes does everybody who rent live in the complexes at SA? Again thanks in advanced for the replies ��
It's not as much the distance, but the commute times we are looking at. Remember, things are spread out here,mass transit isn't that popular and almost non existent in some areas (no trains,only buses). People drive, which only adds to commute times, and they seem to be getting longer and longer, depending on where. So glad I don't have one!!

Old 04-21-2016, 07:43 AM

22 posts, read 17,261 times
Well I have to admit I was at San Antonio last year for two weeks straight and me and my wife loved it down there more than Dallas which is where we go most of the time when we go on vacation plus I do not want to live in this snow anymore! I really think you guys have a beautiful city

Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Spend a good 6 months or so...then you'll really get the feel of it. 2 weeks is good enough for a first impression. Visiting and living in an area are totally different. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 AM

Is traffic in san antonio as bad as dallas or chicago? And thank you

Old 04-21-2016, 01:50 PM

In general,no...but there are "hot spots" out there..especially with all of the construction going on. So many people moving in from out of state...it's much worse that it used to be in certain areas.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
In general,no...but there are "hot spots" out there..especially with all of the construction going on. So many people moving in from out of state...it's much worse that it used to be in certain areas.
One if those hot spots is the area the op originally asked about. �� If I were working at the metropolitan Methodist hospital I would look closer to the downtown area. If you want suburban more than urban than maybe closer to 10/410. But that's just my preference.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 PM

Thanks again everybody hey is flooding that bad over there like every year there is terible flooding?

Old 04-21-2016, 06:31 PM

No..Houston took the brunt of it this time. Yes, we get high water in some spots, and we have some deaths because people try and drive through it. Turn around, don't drown.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 PM

A good amount of people told me to use a apartment finder agency. I gess they are commonly used at sa. Any body has experince with them? Also a 2bd 1st floor duplex with garage but tenant pays gas electric water/sewer and 825 good deal? Average usage on utilites how much you think it will be? In milwaukee gas and electric come out to 120 during snow season 60 to 50 rest of year. Water bill gets paid every three months but its covered by the land lord and if we did have to pay it would be about 100 every bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio