Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 03:58 PM

1,035 posts, read 875,808 times

Advertisements

This city is inclusive because many are born here, grow up here and never leave. I agree that this city sees outsiders as odd ducks and doesn't do well with different ways of thinking.

San Antonio is not a great city for the well-educated and those who demand better than hourly jobs. For a city of our size, it shocks me when people rave about getting a $15-18/hr job.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:32 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
This city is inclusive because many are born here, grow up here and never leave. I agree that this city sees outsiders as odd ducks and doesn't do well with different ways of thinking.

San Antonio is not a great city for the well-educated and those who demand better than hourly jobs. For a city of our size, it shocks me when people rave about getting a $15-18/hr job.

Really?

This is not the Midwest. Every since 2000 we have grown by 45,000 plus and on average 30,000 plus are not from here. As for the education while in the past and currently you are spot on, we have been consistently in the top ten for attracting the educated. (if you use a degree as a metric)

Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Really?

This is not the Midwest. Every since 2000 we have grown by 45,000 plus and on average 30,000 plus are not from here. As for the education while in the past and currently you are spot on, we have been consistently in the top ten for attracting the educated. (if you use a degree as a metric)
I think the point is that if you weren't born and raised here that it's hard to find a group of people to be "friends" with.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:27 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think the point is that if you weren't born and raised here that it's hard to find a group of people to be "friends" with.

How can that be true when over half the city was not born here?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
How can that be true when over half the city was not born here?
That's just from experience. I'm not going to go searching for data to back up my 24 years of experience.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
REALLY???!?! Cause there are tons and tons of military folk that find SA the place they want to return to upon retirement.

I think that ANY place is as good or bad as you make it. We have always LOVED wherever we were stationed, but then we made the best of it, and went out of our way to get out there, meet and mingle.

From something the OP stated, I personally believe TOOOOOO many people rely on the internet as a major source of "friend/dating material". Yeppers, you might become friends with someone, but get out, go about doing things within the community and you will FIND people you have things in common with.

Go to church, get involved with an organization, volunteer, music, sports, hell, even walking around your neighborhood and getting to know people is something lots of folks just don't bother to do anymore.

Work, sometimes the ONLY thing you have in common is that you work at the same place. But find something that interests YOU and get involved doing it with OTHERS and the world (wherever you happen to live at the moment) becomes your oyster!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:02 PM

894 posts, read 1,546,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
REALLY???!?! Cause there are tons and tons of military folk that find SA the place they want to return to upon retirement.

I think that ANY place is as good or bad as you make it. We have always LOVED wherever we were stationed, but then we made the best of it, and went out of our way to get out there, meet and mingle.

From something the OP stated, I personally believe TOOOOOO many people rely on the internet as a major source of "friend/dating material". Yeppers, you might become friends with someone, but get out, go about doing things within the community and you will FIND people you have things in common with.

Go to church, get involved with an organization, volunteer, music, sports, hell, even walking around your neighborhood and getting to know people is something lots of folks just don't bother to do anymore.

Work, sometimes the ONLY thing you have in common is that you work at the same place. But find something that interests YOU and get involved doing it with OTHERS and the world (wherever you happen to live at the moment) becomes your oyster!
I can't rep you twice so I will just say it...good post. I have always been a believer that I would never be a product of my environment...my environment is a product of me. Don't like your environment? Change it. Affirm your life, your actions toward others...make things happen. If you let things happen to you, likely you won't be happy with the outcome. Life is too short...for passive action to bring things your way.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
That's just from experience. I'm not going to go searching for data to back up my 24 years of experience.
When we moved to New Braunfels 13 years ago, we received much the same "advice"......funny - we've got a BUNCH of friends that grew up here. As so many others have noted - a LOT depends on how YOU present yourself AND where you look. Pa taught me years ago - you ain't gonna catch many fish in a bathtub!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:44 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
OP hasn't been back..beginning to smell bait.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:10 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:

San Antonio is a hard city to make friends in, and this is coming from a Native San Antonian. When I check facebook many of the peope I was acquainted with are still very close to people they were close to in middle school and high school. It's kind of odd. I will fourth the getting involved in organizations and volunteering. Also consider the SA Sports and Social Club scene)
Perhaps it has more to do with those people than with the city itself?

I came here as a 30-something single woman knowing no one. Made friends. It took awhile (I was traveling a lot the first couple of years), but I made one friend, who was also new to the city. She made another friend, who was a native, who then introduced us to a group of friends, and we took it from there. A combo of sports, volunteer work, and just being friendly made all that easy. I was so worried when I came here, but once here, found it much easier than I expected. It still took time, AND effort. If i sat at home no one was going to come knocking on my door. But as long as I gave it a go, had no trouble meeting people. Some I didn't get to know beyond acquaintances, some became life long friends. Met my husband the same way.

Now, it's kind of insane. My neighborhood community is incredible and people are welcomed in immediately. The social circle is enormous, and so packed full of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio