Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:14 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times

Advertisements

Zillow is notoriously inaccurate. Pull other comps from within your neighborhood - focus on the sq ft valuations - THAT is where you'll win or lose. Overall condition of the house can play into it, as well. If you know a Realtor, ask them for their input, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 05:24 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
My neighbor's house which is exactly the same square footage (same house) as mine was valued @$115,000. The only thing different with my house is that it's 100% brick and valued @$122,000. Zillow's estimates are $117,500 and $118,700 respectively. I like Zillow's numbers better and am planning on doing a protest. My brick exterior is not going to bring me $7,000 should I sell. Money grubers!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Zillow is notoriously inaccurate. Pull other comps from within your neighborhood - focus on the sq ft valuations - THAT is where you'll win or lose. Overall condition of the house can play into it, as well. If you know a Realtor, ask them for their input, as well.
Just an FYI-

I tried using listing prices of some comparable (pre-"flip") properties in my neighborhood last year, but BCAD wouldn't accept listing prices. They needed verifiable sale prices. One of those properties had already sold, when I went to the protest, but the sale price had not been publicly disclosed, so no help there. Do they really think a buyer is going to pay more than the asking price? I seriously doubt they would consider a Zillow estimate. That's where a realtor can possibly help with sales data in your neighborhood.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:57 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
We got hit with a $24K increase...guess there will be a LOT of us down there disputing the increase this year....
Mine tooooo!!!!

Old 04-26-2016, 07:22 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Just an FYI-

I tried using listing prices of some comparable (pre-"flip") properties in my neighborhood last year, but BCAD wouldn't accept listing prices. They needed verifiable sale prices. One of those properties had already sold, when I went to the protest, but the sale price had not been publicly disclosed, so no help there. Do they really think a buyer is going to pay more than the asking price? I seriously doubt they would consider a Zillow estimate. That's where a realtor can possibly help with sales data in your neighborhood.

I use the BCAD values of comparable houses - in my neighborhood it varies so widely (lots of cash sales apparently, and savvy people who have been fighting taxes for years). They can't argue with the values they've listed.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:34 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I use the BCAD values of comparable houses - in my neighborhood it varies so widely (lots of cash sales apparently, and savvy people who have been fighting taxes for years). They can't argue with the values they've listed.
This is what I plan on doing after seeing all the values on my street.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
That's true, although they have a very narrow criteria for what qualifies as a comparable property. They also wouldn't accept any of the comps I presented showing BCAD values.

You have a two-car garage, and the comps have only a one-car, or no garage? Can't use those. Another one has a three car garage, but is still lower per square foot? Can't use that one either. Your CDU (Condition/Desirability/Utility) is listed a Average, but the comp is Good? Can't use that one, even though it is less per square foot.

I really felt like I was going up against a stacked deck.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:01 AM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That's true, although they have a very narrow criteria for what qualifies as a comparable property. They also wouldn't accept any of the comps I presented showing BCAD values.

You have a two-car garage, and the comps have only a one-car, or no garage? Can't use those. Another one has a three car garage, but is still lower per square foot? Can't use that one either. Your CDU (Condition/Desirability/Utility) is listed a Average, but the comp is Good? Can't use that one, even though it is less per square foot.

I really felt like I was going up against a stacked deck.
whats funny is that when I got my evidence package last year, they literally just took the sales for the entire neighborhood without even giving a damn about any real comparable value.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:12 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
So I just got back in town to find 2 envelopes from BCAD. Here is what I got:
  1. Residence went up 3.79% in 2015 and up 7.62% in 2016
  2. Empty Lot/Land (1.38 acres) remained that same from 2013-2015 and then they just nailed us with a 100% increase in 2016!!!! This is almost a $140,000 increase in value for just over 1 acre of raw land!!!!!

WTF???

Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
whats funny is that when I got my evidence package last year, they literally just took the sales for the entire neighborhood without even giving a damn about any real comparable value.
I live in a neighborhood where age, size, and type of construction varies widely. That could have something to do with it. In that type of circumstance, they could be basing your property value on just one or two recent comp sales.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
I read somewhere awhile back that BCAD is having to make up for lost revenue from commercial properties because many of the big name local businesses such as Valero for many of their retail stores are in litigation with BCAD to get current and past tax values reduced. If I am not mistaken, the article stated all the litigation and tax reductions cost Bexar a lot of money (loss of 9 billion?) so perhaps they are trying to recoup all of that through residential? Even Greg Popovich sued BCAD supposedly.

The average homeowner can't afford to sit in litigation with BCAD though so we must be the low hanging fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio