Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:38 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,049,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sure - after all who cares if the car barreling up behind you at the stop light has working brakes......
Pretty sure there are plenty of states that don't require any safety inspection. They get by somehow, working brakes or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 12:51 PM

4,299 posts, read 7,162,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I am not sure if I agree with doing away with Inspection sticker BUT do wish registration was just a one-time thing for the entire time one owns the car. Too much money to give up for that idea to be implemented though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Pretty sure there are plenty of states that don't require any safety inspection. They get by somehow, working brakes or not
I know there are (or were) some states that do not require safety inspections.

All states require vehicle registration, and most have to be renewed annually. A few are every two or three years, and I think Louisiana is the only one that is up to every four years, in some cases.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:43 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,741,328 times
Quote:
Might be. Bottom line - this one does.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 PM

The bottom line is actually that you sensationalized a crash scene involving someone's brakes not working because there was no safety inspection (which I don't believe is very effective anyway). A good deal of states (33 is what I've read, and that number is on the rise) don't feel the same way. Care to address that, or backpedal, which is probably the prudent thing to do in this case. ?

Old 07-13-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
The bottom line is actually that you sensationalized a crash scene involving someone's brakes not working because there was no safety inspection (which I don't believe is very effective anyway). A good deal of states (33 is what I've read, and that number is on the rise) don't feel the same way. Care to address that, or backpedal, which is probably the prudent thing to do in this case. ?
No need to backpedal - because most of the "non-inspect" states allow their state police to inspect your vehicle for safety and pass/fail it on the spot.....personally, I'd rather have it done by a regular inspection station where I can wait in comfort.

Years ago, I worked at a place that did safety inspections. From my own personal observations, there are many vehicles on the road that shouldn't be - the inspections certainly don't catch them all, but IMO it DOES help.

I DO get the general feeling about them, but as I said - I've seen stuff brought in for inspection where folks had NO idea as to the overall poor condition of their vehicle.....and frankly, didn't care.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
No need to backpedal - because most of the "non-inspect" states allow their state police to inspect your vehicle for safety and pass/fail it on the spot.....personally, I'd rather have it done by a regular inspection station where I can wait in comfort.

Years ago, I worked at a place that did safety inspections. From my own personal observations, there are many vehicles on the road that shouldn't be - the inspections certainly don't catch them all, but IMO it DOES help.

I DO get the general feeling about them, but as I said - I've seen stuff brought in for inspection where folks had NO idea as to the overall poor condition of their vehicle.....and frankly, didn't care.
Nice job of softening your stance. Sooner or later, there will be no states with required vehicle inspection. My guess it's a losing proposition (can't make money)for states with an inspection (catching a few blown lights or cracked windshields just doesn't cut it). I find it hard to believe that the "9 minute" inspection places around here could even catch a cold...let alone faulty brakes. The ol' one pump as they pull it in to the little shack..please!
How many years ago was this that you worked at that facility...years or decades? I'd rather have the State Police inspect my vehicle, because you certainly shouldn't have to wait annually. Just keep your vehicle maintained and you'll have no issue. The 9 minute inspection shacks are certainly not comfortable either.
Guess we're off topic here...so that'll be it for me.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Nice job of softening your stance. Sooner or later, there will be no states with required vehicle inspection. My guess it's a losing proposition (can't make money)for states with an inspection (catching a few blown lights or cracked windshields just doesn't cut it). I find it hard to believe that the "9 minute" inspection places around here could even catch a cold...let alone faulty brakes. The ol' one pump as they pull it in to the little shack..please!
How many years ago was this that you worked at that facility...years or decades? I'd rather have the State Police inspect my vehicle, because you certainly shouldn't have to wait annually. Just keep your vehicle maintained and you'll have no issue. The 9 minute inspection shacks are certainly not comfortable either.
Guess we're off topic here...so that'll be it for me.

No softening of my stance - more of explaining the reasoning behind it. LEO's have other things to do than to inspect vehicles for safety violations. And believe it or not, those 9-minute shops are there because there IS a market for them.

It's been decades - but I have several friends that run places w/inspection stations, so the overall results are still relevant. And - you and I might maintain our vehicles, but look around you......do THEY?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
No softening of my stance - more of explaining the reasoning behind it. LEO's have other things to do than to inspect vehicles for safety violations. And believe it or not, those 9-minute shops are there because there IS a market for them.

It's been decades - but I have several friends that run places w/inspection stations, so the overall results are still relevant. And - you and I might maintain our vehicles, but look around you......do THEY?
"Sure - after all who cares if the car barreling up behind you at the stop light has working brakes"

That's what you said earlier....sure seems like softening your stance to me.
No one admits it on internet boards though. I wouldn't expect you to.
Inferring that faulty brakes would be caught at the one-pump 9 minute inspection station is ludicrous IMO.
There WON'T be a market for them once TX smartens up and does away with inspections, as most states have already done. Guess LEO's have plenty of time in 33 out of the 50 states to conduct roadside safety checks.
Take care TRN.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:35 AM

No - I just don't like to repeat myself. And FYI - yeah, those kinds of brake issues ARE often caught with the brake test. To be fair to the owners, it's often such a gradual loss of braking effect that they become used to pumping their brakes, and don't "notice" it after a while.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:08 AM

4,299 posts, read 7,162,181 times
Quote:
There WON'T be a market for them once TX smartens up and does away with inspections, as most states have already done. Guess LEO's have plenty of time in 33 out of the 50 states to conduct roadside safety checks.
Using that logic, I guess the 19 U.S. States that don't require a front license plate, should smarten up and join the majority that do (along with nearly every country outside the U.S.). I guess LEOs have plenty of time in front plate States and countries to stop motorists for non-compliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio