Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,637 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I live on Potranco outside of 1604 which is by Alamo Ranch/SeaWorld side of town.
I have been living here for around 15 years and have only seen scorpions a few times.

A couple days ago, there was a scorpion on the floor in my bedroom!! UGH!! I have no idea how it got in there and I haven't been sleeping well since..I keep checking the walls to make sure there isn't one about to fall on my bed!! Tonight, there is one outside on my patio...It's really high up on the wall so I can't kill it...we're basically having a staring contest! These things just freak me out and I can't stand seeing them! I know that we just got done with all of that heavy rain...is this causing them to come out? Has anyone else had scorpions in their home recently???

Does anyone know of any companies that will seal your home and check the attic for scorpions and all that..I need to find out how they are getting in! I do have a cat...so I really really don't want any chemicals being sprayed all over the place...are there any natural ways to kill them/keep them out/HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 06:37 AM

894 posts, read 1,546,693 times
Your observation that the appearance of the scorpion has something to do with the heavy rains is probably a good one. You can spend a lot of money trying to seal your home and still, those crafty little scorpions will find their way in. Personally, I treat my own home with Demon WP, which is available on the internet. Used with a pump sprayer and water, it has been very effective for me. Be sure to use according to package directions and use great care if you have pets or an infant that likes to crawl on the floor. It isn't foolproof, but nothing really is. We live in the middle of their habitat and they like to explore.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:08 PM

59 posts, read 156,245 times
My daughter lived on the 3rd floor in an apartment building close to 1604 and found one in her bedroom recently. She almost stepped on it with her bare feet. Freaked her out really good. Her boyfriend came over and picked it up with his bare hands and threw it off the balcony. My husband's phobia of them is one of the main reasons we did not move to the Texas hill country when we retired.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irene61189 View Post
My daughter lived on the 3rd floor in an apartment building close to 1604 and found one in her bedroom recently. She almost stepped on it with her bare feet. Freaked her out really good. Her boyfriend came over and picked it up with his bare hands and threw it off the balcony. My husband's phobia of them is one of the main reasons we did not move to the Texas hill country when we retired.

I surely hope you're kidding. Wow.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,637 times
Yikes! I've actually stepped on one barefoot many years ago but it somehow didn't sting me! Certainly made me jump 20 feet in the air when I saw it! I've heard a lot about this Demon WP...might look into it.. thanks everyone...hoping to not see anymore in my house. Gonna work on sealing any cracks that might be around the house!!

Old 06-11-2016, 05:31 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
We get one in our house maybe once every few years. We have regular visits from an exterminator. Occasionally find them outside but they are usually in their death throes.

Only been stung by one once way back in HS at my parents house in Boerne. Watching TV on the floor and a baby one got me right on the side of my torso. Scared the hell out of me more than it hurt.

I can deal with the snakes, scorpions, praying mantis, etc...but what really creeps me out are walking sticks, giant centipedes and those nasty big flying cockroaches. YUCK!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:34 AM

520 posts, read 781,826 times
I've gotten one a year in the house right about the April/May timeframe since buying our current home, which serves to remind me to spray Home Defense. I really should spray it the recommended twice a year but honestly do not have problems with bugs in the house aside from that stray scorpion which squeezes in during the rains.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:23 PM

432 posts, read 523,314 times
Demon is great
Temprid is even better

Old 06-13-2016, 02:34 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Pest control and DIY:
https://www.houselogic.com/organize-...eak-seal-tips/
You live in San Antonio - a second buggiest city in the US and will encounter all kind of insects and other small creatures.
Indoor and outdoor pesticide application should take care of most of them.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Scorpions can be a way of life in San Antonio. They are very resistant to chemical sprays and can get into the smallest cracks, because they are able to flatten their bodies paper thin. They are less pervasive in more populated areas, but avoiding the hill country is no guarantee. The good news is their sting is no worse than a wasp, and most people have little to no reaction from it other than it's slightly painful. I wouldn't get too worked up about it, but if you find yourself living in fear San Antonio may not have been the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio