Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 PM

38 posts, read 45,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minz View Post

I went to the "re-zoning" meeting where the local citizens and developers met to discuss what was happening with the Sunset Ridge Apartments....the developers pretty much said they would be torn down. As far as if they would all be torn down, they didn't really say but that is what I understood. They said they would work w/ the local community to come up with a plan where everyone would be happy. It was an interesting meeting to say the least.
I lived in Sunset Ridge (Jefferson at Sunset Ridge), and when I lived there the apartment I was in was haunted. A female ghost there. Anyway believe me if you want, but it's true. Too bad they're tearing down those apts. They are quite nice inside with hardwood flooring and even a built in cubby to set your telephone on (cubby in the wall like from the old days!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
my point being that as the Quarry Market eventually succumbs to the woes of being one of the "once-hot" properties, as they all eventually do
I hear what you're saying. The Quarry was really hot at one time, but it has cooled down a bit. Still, it's a nice place to hang for the most part.

At one time, the Bookstop and EZ's over off N New Braunfels was a really hot spot with locals, and then Bookstop got bought by Barnes, liquidated and sold out... Leaving behind a struggling EZ's. The place that took over the old Bookstop location should be charged a fine for that eyesore of a facade they built over it. Yet another structure which doesn't go with the surrounding area.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The closed gas station "Ken's" at Broadway and Hildebrand is being torn down. Anyone know what is going to go in it's place? Maybe a Kirspy Kreme or Taco Cabana? I didn't see any indication of what will be built in it's place. What's the poop?
I was wondering that myself. It would seem they were offered a sum of money they couldn't pass up. But from who and what are their intentions?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
What an EYESORE. That is going to RUIN the whole archtectural theme of the area.
Are you talking about The Broadway high-rise? If so, what theme?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:24 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Are you talking about The Broadway high-rise? If so, what theme?
No kidding. The area is very eclectic. If anything - this will help the area.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:28 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,672 times
Perhaps because it's a high-rise, and the surrounding area is low-rise commercial and residential.

People said the same thing about the Olmos Tower when it was built.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:40 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,755 times
The EZs off North New Braunfels hardly seems to struggle, IMO. Many nights it is packed. I was once told they do the most take out businesses of all the locations. Nevertheless, I don't see how the loss of the bookstore would make the restaurant less appealing to "locals"

Old 10-18-2007, 10:45 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,672 times
When I was in high school, it was one of the few places I was allowed to hang out at without parental supervision. It was fun. We would have dinner and then go to Bookstop and buy magazines and then go back to EZs and drink soda and talk. And around the corner was the Baskin Robbins in Sunset Ridge.

It was a nice, safe place for me to go when I was 14 and 15.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
No kidding. The area is very eclectic. If anything - this will help the area.
A BANKER would make a statement like that. It's ugly, it sticks up into the sky and nobody wants to look at it. Take a cue from UIW across the street. Older 'style' buildings, and not trying to punch a hole into the ionosphere.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
The EZs off North New Braunfels hardly seems to struggle, IMO. Many nights it is packed. I was once told they do the most take out businesses of all the locations. Nevertheless, I don't see how the loss of the bookstore would make the restaurant less appealing to "locals"
Just as Ms. Rigsby said, it was a great place to hang out, eat, have a soda, and go read some books or magazines. Now whenever I go to the place I hardly ever see anyone in there. Then there's that horror next door that took over Bookstop. They need to tear that facade down and start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio