Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times

Advertisements

Just make sure you are not alone. Take someone with you, or stay away from any place isolated or "off the beaten path." IOW, if you are alone only use the areas that other people are using, at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 07:42 AM

483 posts, read 409,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Live Oak Park, water and ducks! Nice area too!
Awesome, thanks!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy... View Post
Denman Park has a walking trail, ducks, a pond, and sometimes there are deer. Just a bit north of town, there is a Wildlife Ranch, but you have to stay in your car at all times and there is an entrance fee. Lots of deer and other wildlife to photograph there.
This sounds cool, thanks!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Loads of wildlife along the Mission Reach! Depending upon where you are in 78210, you could walk to the river. 78210 stretches from Southtown east towards Highland. I live in 78210 and walk the Mission Reach almost daily.
Warning though, there's not a lot of shade so it can get brutally hot at mid day.

San Juan Capistrano Mission has nature trails in the river area, and the Acequia is a really neat place to hang out.
Oh really?! This seems great! I will check that out. I don't mind walking. Brutally hot huh, lol. I've lived in Phoenix for almost 3 years so I definitely know what brutal heat feels like, yikes! I suppose I should try to walk early on when the sun is not blazing out of control! Thanks for the information

Old 07-04-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Just make sure you are not alone. Take someone with you, or stay away from any place isolated or "off the beaten path." IOW, if you are alone only use the areas that other people are using, at the same time.
Thanks!

Old 07-04-2016, 08:59 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Oh really?! This seems great! I will check that out. I don't mind walking. Brutally hot huh, lol. I've lived in Phoenix for almost 3 years so I definitely know what brutal heat feels like, yikes! I suppose I should try to walk early on when the sun is not blazing out of control! Thanks for the information
My guess is you weren't out walking in full sun at noon in Phoenix....

It's very tolerable early in the morning in summer. From about Nov-May it's ok all day. There are bits further down that are more shaded.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:09 PM

417 posts, read 816,504 times
I like McAlister Park, which is off of Jones-Maltsberger Road. I don't remember seeing any water sources so no ducks, but when I've walked along the trails, I've had dozens of deer photo ops. The trails are not hilly but there are a lot of them, ranging from less than a mile all the way to six miles. Don't get run over by a mountain bike - you'll see lots of mountain bikers there. The longest trail, which I think is the Blue Loop, has pretty confusing trail markers, if you ask me...it took me three tries to figure out how to get all the way around the loop. That trail also connects to the Salado Greenway trail (I think it's the Salado trail).

I also like Brackenridge Park. I'm not great with knowing which areas of SA are which, but I think it's south of Alamo Heights. It's near the zoo, and a lot of other cool places like the Japanese Tea Gardens. There's a cute little train that runs through there too. There is a water source there, and lots of ducks.

Finally, if you live near NW Military, just south of Wurzbach, I like Phil Hardberger Park. No ducks there, but I do seem to remember seeing some deer.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:28 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy... View Post
Denman Park has a walking trail, ducks, a pond, and sometimes there are deer.
Let's keep this our little secret.

Fantastic park. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:34 AM

18 posts, read 12,728 times
Check out landa library. It isn't necessarily a park, but it is VERY beautiful and quiet, with lots of trees, flowers, etc.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I like McAlister Park, which is off of Jones-Maltsberger Road. I don't remember seeing any water sources so no ducks, but when I've walked along the trails, I've had dozens of deer photo ops. The trails are not hilly but there are a lot of them, ranging from less than a mile all the way to six miles. Don't get run over by a mountain bike - you'll see lots of mountain bikers there. The longest trail, which I think is the Blue Loop, has pretty confusing trail markers, if you ask me...it took me three tries to figure out how to get all the way around the loop. That trail also connects to the Salado Greenway trail (I think it's the Salado trail).

I also like Brackenridge Park. I'm not great with knowing which areas of SA are which, but I think it's south of Alamo Heights. It's near the zoo, and a lot of other cool places like the Japanese Tea Gardens. There's a cute little train that runs through there too. There is a water source there, and lots of ducks.

Finally, if you live near NW Military, just south of Wurzbach, I like Phil Hardberger Park. No ducks there, but I do seem to remember seeing some deer.
Awesome, thanks for all the information! I can't wait to get the chance to visit these recommendations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio