Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,329 times

Advertisements

We purchased a New Leaf home and have had some major issues and I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with their New Leaf home? If so, what was done (if anything) to solve those issues?

Also, does anyone know if you can place a complaint on a builder that does not obtain city permits because they are outside of city limits - perhaps with the State of Texas licensing department?

Any guidance or information as to what others have done would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 12:20 PM

24 posts, read 22,300 times
What's the name of community? We went to San Antonio for house hunting about a month ago. We looked at some houses that New Leaf built and also saw a community that the company is building with their reps. Hmm...

Old 07-07-2016, 03:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
You didn't provide much of information that has any value for any help.
Are you the original buyer?
What is the issue(s) you are having?
When did you close on the house?
Are you doing the required maintenance which also includes keeping the foundation watered?
Do you have pics of the issues?

If you'll answer ALL of the above, I can probably head you in a direction. I've been in the industry over 50 years and have loads of experience in methodology and consumer issues.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:37 AM

18 posts, read 12,726 times
I'd believe if they did not obtain city permits your complaint would be with the city first, and then from there they can send you up the "chain of command."

Old 07-09-2016, 12:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Quote:
I'd believe if they did not obtain city permits your complaint would be with the city first, and then from there they can send you up the "chain of command."
If you had a clue what you're talking about you would know that The City of San Antonio does not require permits in Uvalde, Hondo, Pleasanton or any other place OUTSIDE of the City limits. Any builder can build in the County and not have to worry about permits which is why most chose to build outside of SA. Sometimes a City inspection can take over a week waiting for the inspector costing the builder money as interest builds on the interim financing. It can mean several hundred bucks on just one house, one inspection. Imagine the cost if you're building 500 houses a year with the issue. Then you have not just a frame inspection but all of the rough inspections, top out inspections, HVAC rough, electrical rough, and then all of the finish out inspections. Any delays due to the City not being able to get an inspector to the jobsite can run into the thousands for a builder. Since you seem to want to display yourself as a builder with your screen name, you would probably want to know or should know that any construction in the State of Texas MUST meet IRC Code requirements. The last update was 2013. Most all of the builders will either use an outside inspection agency like Bureau Veritas or others or possibly even an engineer to do the basic inspections which covers them on any claims of wrongful construction. Many have gone to engineered slabs which are inspected by the engineering firm and have gone to engineered component framing which means a complete idiot can build the house that has zero experience provided he can read pictures. The Masters License for the other trades covers their part of the build.

Since the OP did not respond to the questions I posed, this is more than likely a person who managed to screw up their own home due to negligence on their part and expects the builder to cover their stupidity in perpetuity. If it's one thing I've learned in this business over the last 50 years is that Joe Public hasn't a clue how to maintain a house or what is expected of them. It's not a car, the day you move in the maintenance begins be it watering the foundation, NOT putting flower beds up against the foundation, planting trees far too close to the foundation, not changing filters, flushing diapers, etc., the list I've seen is endless. Unfortunately, I will admit this is a builder problem and is their own fault. Far too many of the first time homeowners haven't got a clue what it takes to own a home. The builder should be orientating these folks. One such builder, Ryland Homes, had a such a program. Nobody bothered to show up for the classes. So it's a lose/lose situation. In my opinion, all first time home buyers should be required to take classes on how to take care of a home and what will be covered and not covered under any warranty, or they can't get the loan. The Mortgage companies are in the best position to require the classes but they aren't going to do anymore than necessary to help the buyers. All they want is the money.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:47 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,406 times
If I was building a house and I saw builder didn't file for permits, I wouldn't settle. That simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio