Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Only for people that are too attached to suburbia.
San Antonio ranks first nationally for
San Antonio ranks first nationally for ‘serious crimes,’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I have to laugh any time I see these "are xyz people safe in Wherever, Texas?"

I've traveled all over the country - there are a LOT more places that'd make the WORST locale in Texas look like a tea party. And MOST of those areas are located in the NE part of this country.

My own great grandmother was robbed at knifepoint while bringing her groceries inside her house, and this was before the gang infestation of the 1990s that plagued the teens of that generation, the Mexican Mafia presence, or Katrina which all added to San Antonio's crime. I don't give a crap about the northeast, Syria is dangerous too, that doesn't mean that areas in San Antonio aren't. You don't even live in San Antonio, I wonder why that is. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that New Braunfels is a safer city or anything.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:07 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post

My own great grandmother was robbed at knifepoint while bringing her groceries inside her house, and this was before the gang infestation of the 1990s that plagued the teens of that generation, the Mexican Mafia presence, or Katrina which all added to San Antonio's crime. I don't give a crap about the northeast, Syria is dangerous too, that doesn't mean that areas in San Antonio aren't. You don't even live in San Antonio, I wonder why that is. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that New Braunfels is a safer city or anything.
It's because he doesn't like the liberal government San Antonians voted for.

I likely wouldn't hang around Jasper or Vidor, and I don't think it's ridiculous to ask about those places in Texas. I wouldn't expect TexasRedneck to understand why.

Interesting fact: Vidor is one of the whitest cities in Texas.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:34 PM

343 posts, read 306,931 times
Quote:
San Antonio ranks first nationally for
San Antonio ranks first nationally for ‘serious crimes,’
Maybe the phrase " no-go zone" means something different to me; to me it refers to an area where if you go there and don't know anyone you will almost immediately have problems with the people that live there.

If no-go zone to you means a place that you avoid because you find it depressing, you don't feel completely comfortable there, or because it has elevated crime, then I can agree with you that San Antonio does have areas like that. I do think the term no-go zone is an exaggeration for any area of San Antonio,at least for now and the near future.

I will say that most violent crime in SA is between people that know each other, that's not to say it isn't a problem.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:50 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
I don't give a crap about the northeast, Syria is dangerous too, that doesn't mean that areas in San Antonio aren't. You don't even live in San Antonio, I wonder why that is. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that New Braunfels is a safer city or anything.
You missed my point - as usual, which is the folks that come to this site from out of state are always so concerned about the myths they hear about Texas, when where they're coming from is every bit as dangerous (or more).

I was raised in Leon Valley (which my Dad helped found) - my Dad's side of the family has been in SA since 1862, when my Great-grandfather founded his cooperage/blacksmith shop (Alamo Tank). Rittiman Road is named after my Mom's grandfather's farm (Rittiman), and some of the SA Streets (Rittiman, Wurzbach, etc) are named after various family members. St. Joseph's church is built on land donated by my Great-Grandfather - and the Little Church of La Villita was co-founded by my maternal Great-great-great Grandfather, Gustav Elley.

Guess you need to kinda be a tad more careful about assuming things, eh? And for the record, we moved to New Braunfels because the SA City Council was continuing to spend every stinking penny they could get their hands on, and I could see where that was going to put the city in the future.

Anything else you'd like to stick your foot into, my friend?

Old 11-30-2017, 04:57 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I likely wouldn't hang around Jasper or Vidor, and I don't think it's ridiculous to ask about those places in Texas. I wouldn't expect TexasRedneck to understand why.
Really? Why is that? Is it because since you've decided I'm white that I somehow don't find the goings-on of Jasper and other communities like to be indefensible and deplorable? Did you somehow fail to notice that we didn't move there for that very reason?!? Take that chip off your shoulder, please - it detracts from your reasoning abilities.

Quote:
So much trash in one place....... I used to tell my kids that the only real shame of things was that we didn't have a term derogatory enough for white trash.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
It's because he doesn't like the liberal government San Antonians voted for.

1. Jasper is majority African American
2. A minority isn't going to get robbed or mugged for walking down a street in Vidor or Jasper, sorry, I just simply don't believe it.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Maybe the phrase " no-go zone" means something different to me; to me it refers to an area where if you go there and don't know anyone you will almost immediately have problems with the people that live there.

If no-go zone to you means a place that you avoid because you find it depressing, you don't feel completely comfortable there, or because it has elevated crime, then I can agree with you that San Antonio does have areas like that. I do think the term no-go zone is an exaggeration for any area of San Antonio,at least for now and the near future.

I will say that most violent crime in SA is between people that know each other, that's not to say it isn't a problem.
There are streets on the east side and west side and probably on the south side where if I or my girlfriend spent more than 20 minutes walking alone we would be robbed or mugged or worse. I don't know how you could deny this unless you don't know any Anglo people.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You missed my point - as usual, which is the folks that come to this site from out of state are always so concerned about the myths they hear about Texas, when where they're coming from is every bit as dangerous (or more).
As a whole, San Antonio has more crime than almost any city. So I completely disagree with this.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Guess you need to kinda be a tad more careful about assuming things, eh? And for the record, we moved to New Braunfels because the SA City Council was continuing to spend every stinking penny they could get their hands on, and I could see where that was going to put the city in the future.
I assumed you moved to NB because of crime. You moved because of a liberal government. Wow, you sure showed me! Sorry, but I don't give a rats arse who your family is. Very pretentious for somebody who lives in New Braunfels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio