Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:56 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times

Advertisements

You will like Fredricksburg, Texas is my opinion.
Texas is a huge place though, and not just the geography and flora and fauna will very widely within its' boundaries , social customs do too. North Texas is very different from deep south Texas etc., and East Texas is very different also. Customs resemble the deep south states than they do here.
Unlike Trapper I was never fired at while working in East Texas and Louisiana in the oil fields, years ago ,in the seventies. From Houston to Baton Rouge. However.
East Texas is living in the past yet and unlikely to give up the old ways soon I think. While living up north I once met a girl from Orange, Texas which is right on the Texas - Louisiana state line- strangely enough,while I was living in Michigan, no less. What were the chances?
She spoke with quite a Texas twang. Soon afterward I met Chrissie's mother. I thought since these were native Texican girls from back home just like me, surely,- I would be familiar with their ways.

Soon afterwards, the girl's mother asked me if,
" I would like to eat Boudins for supper tomorrow night?"
" Sure ! " I had no idea, so I asked.
" What's a Boudin ?" .

I have never eaten a crayfish yet, but I might. ( I think they are fond of crawdads and grits over that way) I did try the Boudins however.

Then again I have never tried the Tripitas around here either. But I might. Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You forgot Kountz in the same area. Back in 1983 I was shot at by locals, 8 of them to be exact, since my FIL who lived there also employed blacks. When I called the sheriff about it, his response was SO?. It's not just blacks over there they get pissy about, it's anybody that has anything to do with blacks. There are some REAL psycho folks over there. Must be something in the water. I'm white, I don't stop any where in that part of Texas.
Fredricksburg, I doubt you'd have any issues there. If you do, probably isn't a native Texan but some import that brought his BS with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 05:20 PM

65 posts, read 233,956 times
Just wanted to post an update for those who were curious. Our trip was delayed by a few weeks, but we went last week and had a wonderful time. We did get a look or two from one family; however the rest of the weekend was really fun. It's really beautiful and I think we will plan to visit there more often.
There were certainly very few people of color (which doesn't bother me), but everyone we interacted with was very kind and pleasant. I hadn't been to a "main street" since I left NC many years ago, and it brought back a lot of good memories being in Fredericksburg.
Thank you all again for your info and help! It was greatly appreciated. And I also know now to wholly avoid East Texas.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:54 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
FWIW, East Texas is the blackest part of the state, so they are more familiar with people of color than elsewhere in Texas. Port Arthur itself is one of the most racially diverse areas in all of the south.

I never feel uncomfortable in any part of Texas. There are ignorant people all over the state and ignorant people aren't impossible to deal with.

I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by avoiding ET. It's worth visiting.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
All true. Is it really worth visiting though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
FWIW, East Texas is the blackest part of the state, so they are more familiar with people of color than elsewhere in Texas. Port Arthur itself is one of the most racially diverse areas in all of the south.

I never feel uncomfortable in any part of Texas. There are ignorant people all over the state and ignorant people aren't impossible to deal with.

I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by avoiding ET. It's worth visiting.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:37 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
All true. Is it really worth visiting though?
Certain parts are. Nacogdoches, Marshall, Jefferson, and the Caddo Lake area are all beautiful, historic parts of Texas.

Southeast Texas isn't as pretty, but it has a very rich culture and the best food in the state.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:54 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
Thanks for checking back. I'm glad you had a good time.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 PM

15 posts, read 30,047 times
Angry Fbg

I lived in Fbg for many years. If you are African-American and you are only visiting that is ok. However, if you want to move there; forget about it. The old families still control the reality companies as well as the title companies. Once they are made aware an African-American is interested in a property that property is no longer available and they will block all other offers.
I know it's absolutely disgusting. I know this because I was married into one of those old families. These families have been marrying into the same family lines that they were in the old country. So, the gene pool is a bit shallow.
BTW, I'm not from there originally and had NO idea about this horrible practice until right before I left.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:01 AM

87 posts, read 78,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texymae View Post
I lived in Fbg for many years. If you are African-American and you are only visiting that is ok. However, if you want to move there; forget about it. The old families still control the reality companies as well as the title companies. Once they are made aware an African-American is interested in a property that property is no longer available and they will block all other offers.
I know it's absolutely disgusting. I know this because I was married into one of those old families. These families have been marrying into the same family lines that they were in the old country. So, the gene pool is a bit shallow.
BTW, I'm not from there originally and had NO idea about this horrible practice until right before I left.
What about Latinos?

Old 03-09-2017, 05:26 PM

1,032 posts, read 875,406 times
As a white guy, even I notice how overwhelmingly white the hill country towns are when I visit. It's... Odd.

Now, does that mean it's unfriendly if you're not white? I can't say for sure. YMMV.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:36 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv0608 View Post
Just wanted to post an update for those who were curious. Our trip was delayed by a few weeks, but we went last week and had a wonderful time. We did get a look or two from one family; however the rest of the weekend was really fun. It's really beautiful and I think we will plan to visit there more often.
There were certainly very few people of color (which doesn't bother me), but everyone we interacted with was very kind and pleasant. I hadn't been to a "main street" since I left NC many years ago, and it brought back a lot of good memories being in Fredericksburg.
Thank you all again for your info and help! It was greatly appreciated. And I also know now to wholly avoid East Texas.
I am glad you had fun in FBurg,OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio