Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 PM

11 posts, read 56,299 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I was just wondering if Converse, TX. was a good area? & about how far of a commute would it be to Lackland AFB? If there is any other info anyone may feel so inclined to share about this area, please feel free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times
Lackland is a hop skip and a jump from Converse. It's been known as a part of town that time forgot. They have a long line of city governments that had no view for the future and the town in turn just got plain run down. They now have a city government that is working very hard on turning that around. 3 weeks ago they broke ground in the very center of the city for an apartment complex that the city owns, it is not HUD and is geared toward the income of the city workers, ie police, firemen etc. It will be the north end of the city's new town center that we are working on building. If you want the architect renditions I have them too. They just built a new fire department and will be building a new elementary school. They will be condeming several run down buildings running up and down FM78 and S. Seguin across the street from the new town center and rebuilding them to entice new businesses to move in. They are putting a considerable amount of time, energy and money into revitalizing the town. Lots of people will bash the city of Converse but don't underestimate the power of vision followed by money. The new and improved Converse will be lovely.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:33 AM

20 posts, read 94,552 times
We were house-hunting this past week, except I will be working at Randolph instead of Lackland. I am new here, but Converse seems closer to Randolph than Lackland. Google Maps says about 3 miles to RAFB and 25 miles to LAFB.

Regardless, we had dinner in Converse last night as El Sabrosito. Our experience is limited with Mexican food, but this place seemed very good. The food was good and the prices were unbelievably low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdot View Post
Hello all. I was just wondering if Converse, TX. was a good area? & about how far of a commute would it be to Lackland AFB? If there is any other info anyone may feel so inclined to share about this area, please feel free!

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-10-2007 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 05-10-2007, 05:19 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
I don't know much about the actual city of Converse, but I would not want to drive from there to Lackland every day. It's a pretty decent haul. Plus the Express News just had a headline about $4 a gallon gas this summer! No way would I position myself that far from work!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
Lackland is a hop skip and a jump from Converse. It's been known as a part of town that time forgot.

I think you're talking about Randolph. Lackland's on the far West side of town. You need to look on the west side and even up to the NW side. I just sold a home to a family getting transferred in to Lackland over off of Braun Rd. A much nicer area than right around the base, and still only about a 15-20 minute commute.

Converse is on the opposite side of town.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:53 PM

73 posts, read 403,206 times
Converse is not too bad although some say it's a "ghetto". I've lived there before and would probably move back because of how much house you can get for the money you spend.

There are some neighborhoods that you probably won't want to move into, but some are pretty nice and quiet. Many of my relatives lived there until a few years ago. They have all moved to Schertz/Cibolo and their houses didn't sell for as much as they would have (according to the realtors) if the houses hadn't been located in Converse. So, re-sale value may be a factor if you're not planning on sticking around.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times
Oooo I was totally thinking of Randolph. Don't move to Converse if you're working at Lackland, that's waaay too far. I don't recommend that commute. Yuck no.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 56,299 times
I want to thank everyone for their prompt responses

Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Michelle - it's good to know that I'm not the only one that gets Randolph and Lackland confused now and then.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 AM

486 posts, read 1,114,049 times
Michelle, I think I know where the apartments your talking about being built are at I watched them tear down the trees for it, Im not a nature person but it was still kind of sad, anywho, my question is the buildings your talking about being condemned and torn down around the citys new town center where is that at or going to be at, Id like to get pictures before they go down, I have this thing as some have heard me mention for crumbling buildings. Thanks Michelle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
Lackland is a hop skip and a jump from Converse. It's been known as a part of town that time forgot. They have a long line of city governments that had no view for the future and the town in turn just got plain run down. They now have a city government that is working very hard on turning that around. 3 weeks ago they broke ground in the very center of the city for an apartment complex that the city owns, it is not HUD and is geared toward the income of the city workers, ie police, firemen etc. It will be the north end of the city's new town center that we are working on building. If you want the architect renditions I have them too. They just built a new fire department and will be building a new elementary school. They will be condeming several run down buildings running up and down FM78 and S. Seguin across the street from the new town center and rebuilding them to entice new businesses to move in. They are putting a considerable amount of time, energy and money into revitalizing the town. Lots of people will bash the city of Converse but don't underestimate the power of vision followed by money. The new and improved Converse will be lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio