Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:15 PM

520 posts, read 781,553 times

Advertisements

TWC 300 Standalone, ~$65/month taxes included - no complaints, a couple outages here and there, mostly due to the moving of utilities for the road expansion and accidents, longest was almost 2 hours (accident). We get ~340Mbps (not precise, but speedtest.net against TWC in Austin) even at peak. Typical evening will have 3 TVs streaming from Amazon/Hulu/Netflix/etc. and multiple devices doing various other things with no bandwidth issues.

Previously had Uverse 25MBps with Cable/Phone bundle - had to call every six months to get put back on 'special' rates, $150-175/month if I remember correctly. Honestly had no complaints other than the cost of internet alone was the same as TWC's 300Mbps offering when it became available. We would run into bandwidth issues in the evening if 3 TVs were streaming HD - but that was a limitation of the plan, not the quality of the service.

Would have moved to Gigabit if they would have offered it before waiting for Google to announce moving into the market - at that point I was literally just waiting for my new TWC service to start, and the modem I ordered to arrive. I still will switch back if I start running into bandwidth issues again but will be paying for the unsubsidized service since I don't care for my utility to be peaking at what I'm doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 09:28 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
But for you who are waiting for Google, it's not any better and Heaven help you if Google has to tear up your yard to install the wire. My wifes boss stays on top of the cable service in SA and Google is about one click from being kicked out of Alamo Heights. They have made one hellva mess there out of peoples yards. They managed to cut a marked water main. AH made them pay for the repair and all of the estimated lost water. First time I can say something good about AH. As far as I'm concerned, all of the internet providers here suck real bad. Seems the clowns we elect downtown have given them the right to screw over your property at will. And then provide you with crappy service.
I wasn't aware that Google had started the fiber build-out in AH, and hadn't heard about the issues there. But I'm in in a San Antonio neighborhood not too far from AH and almost identical problems have been experienced here, with the Google fiber installation. at least one SAWS water main cut, and somebody's sanitary sewer lateral got sliced. SAWS crews had to repair both breaches. Although most of the telecom cabling is overhead lines in the area, Google is going underground with their installation. The biggest complaint so far has been about the fiber hut they are putting in a small neighborhood COSA park that is surrounded by single-family residences, and the resulting eyesore and loss of park space. Nobody informed the neighborhood in advance about the hut location, and by the time they found out, it was too late to do much about it.

In the case of AH, that's a separate municipality, and if they want to kick Google out, I guess they can. I don't envision San Antonio doing such a thing, though; after the effort that was made to bring them here in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I have been with Grande since 2001. I am very happy with their Internet and phone service.
Grande is good alternative for those in their service area, which in San Antonio is mostly just inside Loop 410 across the north side, to residences served by overhead lines, that were built prior to the early 2000s. I haven't seen any evidence of a Grande expansion in San Antonio in more than a decade, but they do offer faster internet than most can currently get from either TWC or AT&T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio