Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
I am also not impressed. I have seen 100 percent more cop giving tickets while our kids are getting killed and house broken into. bad priorities.
As for "houses broken into," being more important than traffic enforcement, speed and aggressive driving kill more innocent people than home burglaries do. If there has been the change in emphasis you describe, I would call it a change for the better. Traffic is a problem, too. I was kind of appalled at how traffic enforcement was neglected under the previous chief. I could count on one hand the number of times I saw an SAPD officer writing a traffic citation in the 3 years I lived here while Chief Ortiz was at the helm. I like that I've seen SAPD officers running radar and enforcing traffic laws much more frequently in the past 2 years than I had in the previous 3.

Regarding "kids getting killed", one of Chief McManus's very first initiatives was the creation of a gang task force which proactively addressed issues with gangs. There was mention in the Express-News of how this task force was generating massive amounts of overtime cost for the department. Considering how much of SAPD's budget is being spent on the issue of gangs, I don't see how one could say Chief M is neglecting at-risk youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 AM

374 posts, read 982,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
speed and aggressive driving kill more innocent people than home burglaries do..... I've seen SAPD officers running radar and enforcing traffic laws much more frequently in the past 2 years than I had in the previous 3.
I have seen more enforcement of speeding, but not other traffic issues. I still can usually count on at least a couple of cars running the red lights at every intersection. I also have to deal with 4-way stops on the access roads off I-35 and some people don't stop. I can see why revenue generation is implied when you look at the selective enforcement of speeding over other infractions. Its just easier to run a speed trap.

I know its an ugly issue, but maybe we need speed and stop-light camera systems instead of an LEO professional whose time is better spend on serious crime.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM

343 posts, read 1,305,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Regarding "kids getting killed", one of Chief McManus's very first initiatives was the creation of a gang task force which proactively addressed issues with gangs. There was mention in the Express-News of how this task force was generating massive amounts of overtime cost for the department. Considering how much of SAPD's budget is being spent on the issue of gangs, I don't see how one could say Chief M is neglecting at-risk youth.
Just because they have a big budget for it doesn't mean it is being spent appropriately.

Until I see better results, all this overtime is a waste of money.

Another problem is that they are under staffed. And then we have the city council trying to pass this new law banning mobile phone use in school zones. They can't enforce the speed zone and they're expected to enforce this one. I drive by 4 schools each morning and I see at least 1 speeder at each of these schools every day.

Let's first enforce 1 law before we place another burden on the police department.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:40 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
I went through a school zone this morning at the posted 20mph, and I had a cop blow past me like a bat out of hell. No lights, no siren, he was just in a hurry. I caught up to him at the light. He changed lanes without signaling. Then he tried to jump the light, all while he was on his cell phone. Can you at least try to set the example, please???

My parents raised me to respect the police, and I still do, but more and more you see them acting like thugs themselves. And unfortunately, when you're a public servant and you get busted doing something illegal/immoral, you stain all public servants' good names. Just the way it is.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times
They seemed to like McManus in Minneapolis, his last 'home'....
except, apparently, by the mayor....

I happen to like McManus. I think he's dedicated to true change... He strikes me as someone who truly has a heart for the community.....

here's some comments from Minneapolis:

MPR: McManus leaves as Minneapolis police chief

"Last week, McManus played his cards close to his vest when talking about the opportunity in Texas.
"San Antonio is a nice city. It's a large city. I'm not just jumping at anything that comes down the pike," McManus said last week. "Again, this is the only opportunity that I had looked at in a number that have crossed my path in the last five or six months."
Mayor R.T. Rybak says he's sorry to see McManus leave, but he was not caught off guard. Rybak says he began preparing for the possibility of losing the chief a few weeks ago.
Rybak says he's been developing a succession plan to ensure that the department runs smoothly while the city looks for another chief.
"I've been meeting with and speaking with councilmembers and their staffs over the past couple of weeks as this became a possibility," says Rybak. "We have, I think, a good clear consensus as where to move on that. I think everybody recognizes that we have to keep continuity and keep the focus on public safety."
Rybak says his succession plan will focus on internal candidates. Some say Assistant Chief Tim Dolan is a natural choice for interim chief, since he already has experience handling day-to-day matters for McManus.
Rybak wouldn't speculate on who the interim will be, but he says he says there are good prospects within the department.
"Chief McManus brought some fresh energy and some good new ideas into the department, and helped us launch some new intiatives that were best done with someone with a fresh perspective," says Rybak. "Right now what we need to do is complete that work, and we have some great leadership within the department."
McManus received a favorable performance review after his first year as chief. Councilmembers gave him high marks for his visibility in the community and for his work to diversify the upper ranks of the department. In June 2005 he promoted two African Americans to the ranks of inspector and deputy chief.
City councilmember Don Samuels says he's devastated by the loss of McManus. Samuels represents the 5th Ward in north Minneapolis, where several neighborhoods are hotspots for crime. He says McManus had the confidence of many of his constituents.
Samuels says the qualities that made him popular in Minneapolis were bound to attract others.
"I totally understand that a chief that has the profile as a forward-looking chief of the future would be in high demand, and people would be lined up to seduce him with very attractive offers," says Samuels. "I understand that, and I think it's one of the prices you pay for getting somebody like that."
But some say it wasn't so much that McManus was lured away as he was pushed out. Some members of the Police Community Relations Council -- the group of community leaders and police officials charged with implementing a federally mediated agreement formed in 2003 -- blame Mayor R.T. Rybak.
The Rev. Ian Bethel is one of the co-chairs of the PCRC, and says he considers McManus a friend. He says he advised McManus to leave Minneapolis because of the political climate.
"What we have is a result of Mayor Rybak not being as straightforward as he should have been immediately after his reelection, and during the campaign process," says Bethel.
Fellow PCRC member Ron Edwards agrees with Bethel's assessment. He says he believes the relationship between the mayor and chief began to go south after Rybak was reelected last November.
Edwards says he attended a meeting with the mayor and the chief right after the election. He says members of the PCRC asked the mayor if he was ready to reappoint Chief McManus.
"In that meeting in which William McManus was present, the mayor very coldly and calculatingly, indicated that that was a premature discussion and consideration at that point," says Edwards.
Edwards says the remark seemed to stun McManus. "

Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,355 times
McManus is nothing short of a politician with a badge. He looks for accountability from his deputy chiefs yet assumes none when the proverbial S@#t hits the fan. Speak with those officers who work for him and with him. He's nothing short of bi polar and needs to go! Keep him where he is and your Police Department is going to falter even more. Would you want to work for a man who will not stand behind you when its not politically correct? Sometimes you have to walk the walk and stand for what is right as opposed to what your superiors want to hear.

With remarks made by those who would second guess a police officers's decision to utilize less than lethal force I.E. Tasers. Most of the deaths ruled the taser as a contributing factor but not the underlying cause. In the cases where death resulted, the indivdual was usually high on methamphetamines or cocaine or some other intoxicant. Would you want to fight a man who towers over you saying he's the angel of death and he's come to take you with him? Whether psychosis induced or drug induced, sometimes we are faced with making a split second decision that will be dwelled over, torn apart and scrutinized the next two years. I dont know about anyone else, but I didnt sign on to get my butt whooped by a crazy person.

For those of you who say that you knew what you were getting into when you signed on board, I say this...lets say your a fireman. Did you sign on to burn to death inside a building? Heck no! We do the job that you wont do, and when we do it, you complain because the outcome wasnt what you wanted. How many times have our officers been called to a scene where the marriage has been in turmoil for many years, yet we are expected to fix it in twenty minutes?

I get so tired of people who for whatever reason, feel compelled to armchair quarterback our peace officers. You give us the tools, the training and then say dont use them because of liability. No wonder no one wants to be a cop any more. People like those who would complain about us are the same people who call us when they are victimized or injured or need a report for insurance purposes. I would love to see one of them walk a mile in our shoes just once. Death, cruelty, injury, child and spousal abuse, weapons, intoxicated persons, fear of lawsuits, like I said, walk a mile in our shoes the next time you want to spout off about how heavy handed or how we mistreat the general public. I'll bet you that for every negative call you can find, I can find at least 10 to counter it.

With regards to the spike in criminal behavior. You can thank the recession for that. Jobs are disappearing and companies are going under creating situations where there are more stressors on families. Its common knowledge that when jobs are scarce and the economy is in the toilet, crime rates rise. Look at McManus's pilot program. TRU...took three to four officers away from regular patrol shifts and put them in areas where the high crimes rates are. Ok, so where are the numbers? Meanwhile the regular shifts suffer, having to answer twice as many calls as before with less people. Look at all the vacancies he has and cant fill. I wonder why he cant fill the vacancies he has right now? Guess no one really cares about that one huh?

With regards to our ever rising crime rate,
Discipline Jr. when he needs it, tell the hubby to get help for his anger issues and deal with his addiction and get off the the pity me train and show some accountability for who you are. Maybe then you wouldnt need us. Till that time comes, if I have a taser and Im faced with jolting the crap out of someone, or killing them, I'm gonna light them up like a christmas tree. They seem to have a much better recovery rate then those who took two to the body and one to the head.

To all those who support us, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. We are doing our best, and its people like you who help me make the choice everyday to put my gun and badge on. I dont know you, but I would take a bullet or run into a burning building for you. Thank you and God Bless.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:08 PM

260 posts, read 573,386 times
Yes, What he said!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
My father was with Bexar County for over 20 years. I hear you, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You're not paid enough for the job you do and the risk you take every day. I for one do not take you for granted. Again... thank you.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:21 PM

222 posts, read 706,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post

With regards to our ever rising crime rate,
Discipline Jr. when he needs it, tell the hubby to get help for his anger issues and deal with his addiction and get off the the pity me train and show some accountability for who you are. Maybe then you wouldnt need us. Till that time comes, if I have a taser and Im faced with jolting the crap out of someone, or killing them, I'm gonna light them up like a christmas tree. They seem to have a much better recovery rate then those who took two to the body and one to the head.
That's the problem in our area! The crimes being committed are mainly by unsupervised children. It's a lot of burglary and graffiti.

I went through hell because of someone who spent ALL of her free time harassing my family (free time she had because SAHA paid her rent and her food was courtesy of the government as well). She MADE money collecting from the people she let live with her while we paid her bills.

I had all of the evidence in the world but I had to gather it myself. When I presented it it took WEEKS of explaining and pleading because as far as computer crimes go. . . . hardly anyone understood anything about it (part of what she did was harass us online and it was pretty intense).

The detective I worked with was amazing. He made every effort possible to get himself on the same page I was on and eventually did so. He understood and he put time and effort into it. His only beef was that he didn't have the time he needed to be able to do it better and sooner. Even now that the case is old and the DA didnt wind up accepting it (the laws are vague and poorly written) he has offered to help me get an effective letter written in an effort to change that.

They're so understaffed but I hear about all sorts of other things being worked into the budget. We want to attract more people and make more public areas available and welcoming to everyone but who's going to man them? It's a job I wouldn't want in a million years given the way I see people treat them and I commend anyone who does it and willingly.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,889 times
Interesting read about the internal study of the SAPD and how it's taking forever to complete. Apparently they were busy with other things. I'm just sayin!

MySA.com: Metro | State (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA063008.01A.PERF.3fee623.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio