Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:19 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times

Advertisements

Actually, if you go to Google Maps and check out the sections opposite the Pulte side, you'll see that there were few trees out that way to begin with. The images used for the maps are pre-construction (all of Alamo Ranch needs some serious updating in Google). This is especially true near the Catholic Retreat center (where Meritage and Medallion are building)...

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Actually, if you go to Google Maps and check out the sections opposite the Pulte side, you'll see that there were few trees out that way to begin with. The images used for the maps are pre-construction (all of Alamo Ranch needs some serious updating in Google). This is especially true near the Catholic Retreat center (where Meritage and Medallion are building)...

--Dim
I realized this when checking out the area last year. There weren't a lot of trees in certain areas. Still, D.R. Horton did scalp the grass a few times too many.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
I realized this when checking out the area last year. There weren't a lot of trees in certain areas. Still, D.R. Horton did scalp the grass a few times too many.
You're probably right. It's an unfortunate thing, but in 10 years the "mini-trees" that have been planted will look great and we will have all but forgotten about what may or may not have been.

(Not an excuse for the builders' actions, mind you...)

--Dim

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM

343 posts, read 1,304,954 times
Most of the builders are guilty of clearing out land. The worst one I ever saw was the area Pulte cleared out on 281 north of 1604. They left that area bare.

Another one was Centex I believe on Prue road. The area is on a hill overlooking the new Brandeis H.S. That area was also literally scalped of any living vegetation.

I guess there is a cost benefit for the builders.

At least most of them replant a lot of trees to more or less compensate for their actions.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
You're probably right. It's an unfortunate thing, but in 10 years the "mini-trees" that have been planted will look great and we will have all but forgotten about what may or may not have been.

(Not an excuse for the builders' actions, mind you...)

--Dim
Yes, if they plant the right kind of tree (oaks- more expensive)...things like Bradford Pears (inexpensive) have a 25 year or so life span and then you have to start all over!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Yes, if they plant the right kind of tree (oaks- more expensive)...things like Bradford Pears (inexpensive) have a 25 year or so life span and then you have to start all over!
I hear you. It would be nice if builders would front the cost for more expensive trees, but that's probably not the case in most subdivisions. The trees planted in yards are more likely to be less expensive than those planted in common areas. I'm not a developer, so I can't be sure about that...

--Dim

Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM

226 posts, read 865,515 times
I remember the eye-sore of 281. It made Pulte bring out a full page ad in the local paper saying that they had simply removed the trees that were "harmful" to the Aquifer because they take too much water.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Then the buyers should plant an oak tree or two. That is what my grandpa did about 20 years ago. He built on the top o a hill in New Berlin. The hill was cleared out to make way for crops. He put in 10 live oaks and ten ill ask (if what i think it right is was a mixture of texas umbrella trees and and some thing with arizona in the title.)

Now he has nice oaks and the first fast grower just died last summer. By the time they're gone he have mature oaks.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Then the buyers should plant an oak tree or two. That is what my grandpa did about 20 years ago. He built on the top o a hill in New Berlin. The hill was cleared out to make way for crops. He put in 10 live oaks and ten ill ask (if what i think it right is was a mixture of texas umbrella trees and and some thing with arizona in the title.)

Now he has nice oaks and the first fast grower just died last summer. By the time they're gone he have mature oaks.
Absolutely....that's far thinking. I wish I could ban Bradford Pears....

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
@goodmanm:

Road systems are intelligently built (at least in the suburbs), and construction projects take a year or two instead of a generation.

--Dim
Hogwash. I checked VADOT's site and most significant projects take 2-4 years, just as they do here. I won't mention the Woodrow Wilson Bridge project, which started in 1999 and won't be completely done until 2013. (OK, I guess I did mention it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio