Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:21 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
Trust me the cost of living is much higher here than it is there and I know you definitely wouldn't like that. The jobs we have here (Austin) is much lower than one can support.
I live in Austin and work with families on the daily that cannot afford to live here. I am very familiar with the high cost of living here. If my clients lived in San Antonio they could survive with extra money to spare.

Also, the government wages are substantially higher in Austin. For what I do in Austin and make 45k a year it would be 37k tops (my top salary in 2015). This is social work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 PM

124 posts, read 121,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I live in Austin and work with families on the daily that cannot afford to live here. I am very familiar with the high cost of living here. If my clients lived in San Antonio they could survive with extra money to spare.

Also, the government wages are substantially higher in Austin. For what I do in Austin and make 45k a year it would be 37k tops (my top salary in 2015). This is social work.

That's why my bf and I are looking to move out of Austin, no (employers/corporations) one really wants to pay anything there. It's like these corporations are taking advantage of all these young college students and all the influx of people moving there which has created a saturated market. We tried to do as much research as we could, but we fell into the same trap that many others have and thus we are looking to move to SA. Anywhere but Austin, we just can't make enough money here, and we didn't go to school to just barely make it.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
That's why my bf and I are looking to move out of Austin, no (employers/corporations) one really wants to pay anything there. It's like these corporations are taking advantage of all these young college students and all the influx of people moving there which has created a saturated market. We tried to do as much research as we could, but we fell into the same trap that many others have and thus we are looking to move to SA. Anywhere but Austin, we just can't make enough money here, and we didn't go to school to just barely make it.
That's a bummer. I'm making it, with a part time job. From what I see many jobs are entry but there are some senior to have. Just don't make the mistake that many audtinites do about San Antonio and think it's a mini Austin just because it's an hour and a half away. They are different in many ways.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:25 AM

424 posts, read 609,859 times
Ash, just keep your anti SA bs out of this forum. Just live in the desluional land up there that you now reside in.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:44 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
Ash, just keep your anti SA bs out of this forum. Just live in the desluional land up there that you now reside in.
She is an expert on everything Austin now. She's been living there maybe a year now?

Old 10-09-2016, 01:06 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
All very true. Also, SAISD, NISD, and NEISD all have higher teacher salaries then Austin ISD.

And around and around we go!
I said "overall," not every single agency. But, I'm not in the K-12 teaching profession. As a corrections officer, I can make $10,000 more per year in Travis. I could go to Guadalupe or Comal and make more than I would in Bexar County. As a police officer, I can make a lot more in Travis or Austin. APD pays about $18,000 more for its base salary after training than SAPD does. If you look at median income, which is better than using specific examples, Austin's is higher. Yes, I know the cost of living is also higher.

Quote:
Ashbeeigh is such a nice, caring, polite person. I don't know why you see the reason to be so rude. It definitely does not reflect well upon San Antonians. I didn't see anything in her posts that was "anti-SA." We both work in similar fields. She does social work, and I do counseling. She just stated that she makes more in Austin and so do I. Austin and SA do have differences outside of salaries. What is negative about stating the truth? She also talked about Austin's high cost of living.

You are not a moderator and, if you were, you wouldn't keep your job long with that attitude. She's not violating TOS, but you are.

Last edited by L210; 10-09-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That's a bummer. I'm making it, with a part time job. From what I see many jobs are entry but there are some senior to have. Just don't make the mistake that many audtinites do about San Antonio and think it's a mini Austin just because it's an hour and a half away. They are different in many ways.

We like SA way better, tbh, they have much nicer parks, however we know SA has its dark side, hopefully they are able to clean it up a tad. But I feel that we will do much better in SA, I don't think the competition would be so fierce there.

I think it is kinda of sad that you have a nice job and still have to have a part time job to make it. We just don't understand the point of living in such a nice place if you have to work all the time to pay rent or high taxes. We honestly don't think we are alone either, we think many people will be looking to leave Austin, because of the same issues we are having, we honestly had better opportunities in Ohio before we left for Austin. Austin hasn't been that kind to us and we are hoping moving to SA or looking for work in SA might turn our luck around. I know this we aren't going to stay in Austin, I don't know where we will end up, but we're not staying in Austin.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I commented on the different economies and the wage difference. Many others did as well. None of what I said was anti-SA. I would never be anti-SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
She is an expert on everything Austin now. She's been living there maybe a year now?
Yes. Voted expert by the Austin Chronicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post

Ashbeeigh is such a nice, caring, polite person. I don't know why you see the reason to be so rude. It definitely does not reflect well upon San Antonians. I didn't see anything in her posts that was "anti-SA." We both work in similar fields. She does social work, and I do counseling. She just stated that she makes more in Austin and so do I. Austin and SA do have differences outside of salaries. What is negative about stating the truth? She also talked about Austin's high cost of living.
Thanks, friend.

Quote:
We like SA way better, tbh, they have much nicer parks, however we know SA has its dark side, hopefully they are able to clean it up a tad. But I feel that we will do much better in SA, I don't think the competition would be so fierce there.

I think it is kinda of sad that you have a nice job and still have to have a part time job to make it. We just don't understand the point of living in such a nice place if you have to work all the time to pay rent or high taxes. We honestly don't think we are alone either, we think many people will be looking to leave Austin, because of the same issues we are having, we honestly had better opportunities in Ohio before we left for Austin. Austin hasn't been that kind to us and we are hoping moving to SA or looking for work in SA might turn our luck around. I know this we aren't going to stay in Austin, I don't know where we will end up, but we're not staying in Austin.
You may do better! I enjoy what I have here and wouldn't have a problem moving back to SA if I needed to. I agree it's a little silly to have to work a part time job to make it... I hope you all find what you are looking for whether its in SA or somewhere else.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:

Just make sure you both have jobs lined up before you move. It was a mistake to move to Austin without having landed good jobs. A lot of the people who move to Austin already have job offers for high-paying tech positions. They can afford to pay a lot for housing, so that's why the housing costs are being driven up.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Just make sure you both have jobs lined up before you move. It was a mistake to move to Austin without having landed good jobs. A lot of the people who move to Austin already have job offers for high-paying tech positions. They can afford to pay a lot for housing, so that's why the housing costs are being driven up.

Well that's the problem no one would take us seriously, we tried finding jobs before we moved here, I mean we sent out hundreds of applications, sent out letter of interests, we did tons of stuff no one would even respond or even give us the time of day, now we both know why and we found out the market here is flooded, even so we still had better success once we moved here than when we were from out of state, no one took either of us seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio