Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:29 AM

604 posts, read 1,871,871 times

Advertisements

no, you got it about right wCat!
I dont' know what he means by "so many cactus and yellow grass" though (we're not El Paso)
although the grass has been far from green lately... it's just been sooo dry (I think this year has been something like the 4th driest on record...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,238 times
One of the most exciting things about moving to San Diego (SD) was the weather! A statistical promise that the average temp was a perfect 72 degrees. Coming from New Jersey which can have very cold damp winters and has very hot and humid summers, San Diego was going to be a real treat.

Imagine our amazement and poor luck when in September of 1992 we had temps pushing 100 degrees while unloading the moving truck. We struggled in the heat, it was hot.

It wasn’t until our second day of unloading the truck that we were given the bad news. It’s always this hot this time of year. But I read statistics from legitimate sources that said otherwise? What’s up with that?

The official temperature in San Diego is measured off of Scripps Pier. Scripps Pier shoots out into the Pacific ocean quite a far distance. Now I’m not saying the temperature isn't an average of 72/73 degrees, but really is that an accurate place to be taking the temperature? Do we live hundreds of yards out over top of the Pacific ocean? The Pacific is a chilly ocean too with temps in the 40 to 65 degree range. I’m sure those ocean breezes keep that air temp influenced quite a bit.

For most of us we live (at the time) in San Diego about 15 air miles inland. Yes it was in the city limits of San Diego, but it was not on the coast where our great temperature statistics are measured. It is common to have coastal temps in the low to mid 70’s with inland temps 25 degrees higher. 75 degrees plus 25 degrees is 100!

Sure it’s a dry heat and yes absolutely a dry heat is better than a humid area, but the real truth, 85 to 100 degrees is hot no matter what the humidity.

Some other observations: Coastal communities deal a lot with ocean layer moisture/fog (reaching 2 to 3 miles inland). We call it May-gray and June-gloom. Especially during those two months it’s very common not to see the sun until 2-3 pm everyday, while just 15 minutes inland the temps can be and are oppressive. Many times we jumped into the car and drove to the beach only to find the temps in the mid 60’s and foggy. It’s cold and damp. We’d return home and bake again.

Spring and fall have great weather. Winter can get a little chilly, but more than not it will climb into the low 60’s everyday. Add some clouds and that is chilly, but if it’s sunny, it’s perfect.

Overall San Diego weather is likely some of the best in the country, but it’s not without some issues. It can be arid and dry your skin and cause premature wrinkles. We have lots and lots of cloudless blue skies, no exaggeration, but I do miss white clouds and thunderstorms. We hardly if ever get them.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:19 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
Uh, I think that you intended this for the San Diego forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montywent View Post
One of the most exciting things about moving to San Diego (SD) was the weather! A statistical promise that the average temp was a perfect 72 degrees. Coming from New Jersey which can have very cold damp winters and has very hot and humid summers, San Diego was going to be a real treat.

Imagine our amazement and poor luck when in September of 1992 we had temps pushing 100 degrees while unloading the moving truck. We struggled in the heat, it was hot.

It wasn’t until our second day of unloading the truck that we were given the bad news. It’s always this hot this time of year. But I read statistics from legitimate sources that said otherwise? What’s up with that?

The official temperature in San Diego is measured off of Scripps Pier. Scripps Pier shoots out into the Pacific ocean quite a far distance. Now I’m not saying the temperature isn't an average of 72/73 degrees, but really is that an accurate place to be taking the temperature? Do we live hundreds of yards out over top of the Pacific ocean? The Pacific is a chilly ocean too with temps in the 40 to 65 degree range. I’m sure those ocean breezes keep that air temp influenced quite a bit.

For most of us we live (at the time) in San Diego about 15 air miles inland. Yes it was in the city limits of San Diego, but it was not on the coast where our great temperature statistics are measured. It is common to have coastal temps in the low to mid 70’s with inland temps 25 degrees higher. 75 degrees plus 25 degrees is 100!

Sure it’s a dry heat and yes absolutely a dry heat is better than a humid area, but the real truth, 85 to 100 degrees is hot no matter what the humidity.

Some other observations: Coastal communities deal a lot with ocean layer moisture/fog (reaching 2 to 3 miles inland). We call it May-gray and June-gloom. Especially during those two months it’s very common not to see the sun until 2-3 pm everyday, while just 15 minutes inland the temps can be and are oppressive. Many times we jumped into the car and drove to the beach only to find the temps in the mid 60’s and foggy. It’s cold and damp. We’d return home and bake again.

Spring and fall have great weather. Winter can get a little chilly, but more than not it will climb into the low 60’s everyday. Add some clouds and that is chilly, but if it’s sunny, it’s perfect.

Overall San Diego weather is likely some of the best in the country, but it’s not without some issues. It can be arid and dry your skin and cause premature wrinkles. We have lots and lots of cloudless blue skies, no exaggeration, but I do miss white clouds and thunderstorms. We hardly if ever get them.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 AM

Yeah maybe I should have opened with a better statement...I was trying to give a better comparison of San Diego's weather, thought to be the best in the country by many. This may be true, but as stated in my comment, it can be hot which is very misleading when you read weather stats.

These same weather stats stated there are only (4) days over 90 or 95 degrees. Again this may be true at the coast, but this is not true just a few miles inland. We have many days over 95 degrees and this is while living in the city limits of San Diego. Actually we have over 4 days reaching a 100 degrees!

We drive through a valley in the winter here which collects the night cold air and we've recorded lows of 27 degrees in the winter. Granted this same area will even out once the sun gets up, but for the few people that have homes in this valley they have to crank their heaters to stay warm. 27 degrees isn't believable, but it's true...just don't see this kind of information addressed in statistics much.

Thanks,

Old 03-26-2017, 10:09 AM

I guess I should have mentioned too we are looking to move to SA, and that's why I jumped into this forum. Someone early on mentioned they are thinking of moving to SA from SD. Again San Diego weather is great, but after living here for over 23 years I find the winters a little too cold and the summers (inland) can be too hot.

I've driven from a foggy coast headed inland in the summer and watched the car temp swing from 68 degrees to 95 many times.

Also sometimes the ocean layer reaches inland 15 - 20 miles and stays around in the morning which makes it very humid. As a builder I'd sweat just like I did in New Jersey. What I'm trying to show is that you can't get the real feel of weather from stat pages. And yes someone earlier said it best, if you come from humid states 65 percent humidity will feel dry and if coming from arid states it may feel humid.

So I'd be real interested in hearing more weather experiences from SA people since we are thinking of transplanting from San Diego to San Antonio...

Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 AM

514 posts, read 1,441,334 times
I grew up and spent 39 years in LA county with 8 years in southern Arizona and only 15 months in San Antonio area . You couldn't pay me enough money to go back to that s__t hole . The humidity isn't always had. I've heard nothing noticed a handful of days of bad humidity so far . Only used ac in car a few times as well, I generally just crack the windows open .

If you plan on playing sports or running, then yes you will noticed the humidity. If you just do normal everyday life, then it wont be bad .

Old 03-26-2017, 12:29 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montywent View Post
Yeah maybe I should have opened with a better statement...I was trying to give a better comparison of San Diego's weather, thought to be the best in the country by many. This may be true, but as stated in my comment, it can be hot which is very misleading when you read weather stats.
Thanks,
I am from San Antonio but live, work and raise a family in San Diego. I am still in SA several weeks a year and find myself in SA as I type this. Today is a nice cool sunny San Antonio spring day, it gorgeous today.

I live in Lakeside/El Cajon which is 25 miles inland in San Diego's East County which is much warmer than the coastal areas. As warm as it get at my home in late August, September and October, I would say since our house is on a hill side and has good ventilation, in reality we only run our air-condition 25-35 days a year when the temps exceed 90-95 degrees during the day. But even on these hot dry days the temps drop in the evening and it will feel comfortable. Once in a while we'll get monsoonal air wit humidity but I can probably count those number days on my two hands.

In San Antonio, since the temperature is higher and the humidity is constant from June through September, one pretty much has to run the AC non stop for the entire summer. Even if it rains and the temps are down to 80, the mugginess is many times more uncomfortable on cooler/cloudier days in San Antonio. And the mosquitoes and bugs....ahhh.

Southern California offers relief with its micro climates, if it's too hot inland one could easily just spend the days at the coast too cool off (even if you don't get in the water) or cruise up to the mountains. In San Antonio there is practically no escaping the humidity except in doors. In fact the closer you go to the coast here the more humid and hot it gets.

The humidity, gnats and mosquitoes in SA in the summer months is a huge turn off for me, other than this I love it here.

Last edited by malcorub16; 03-26-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 03:38 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
I grew up and spent 39 years in LA county with 8 years in southern Arizona and only 15 months in San Antonio area . You couldn't pay me enough money to go back to LA .

The humidity isn't as bad as some say . I've only noticed a handful of days of bad humidity so far . Only used ac in car a few times as well, I generally just crack the windows open .

If you plan on playing sports or running, then yes you will noticed the humidity. If you just do normal everyday life, then it wont be bad .
Wow, I need to pay closer attention to my auto correct. Sorry for post that made no sense.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:21 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I am still in SA several weeks a year and find myself in SA as I type this. Today is a nice cool sunny San Antonio spring day, it gorgeous today.
Today was not hot but muggy and uncomfortable and it is not even April. The mosquitoes were also out in full force. One will be bothered more if they are outside not even physically exerting themselves and suddenly they feel uncomfortable and sweaty. So to answer the thread's original question, the humidity can be a real nuisance even on cooler days.

Last edited by malcorub16; 03-27-2017 at 09:29 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 01:32 PM

142 posts, read 252,938 times
Dryer weather will always keep you feeling 'clean' but humidity does have its positives. One being, where there is humidity, there is rain. The second being your skin doesn't get dried out as badly. I like in humid environments how it stays warm after sunset so you don't need to put on a jacket or pants just because the sun went down (dry environments the temperature tends to drop a lot without the sun). I can remember being in parts of Colorado in July and wearing shorts during the day and pants and a coat at night (that's really no fun). But yeah, you'll always feel a bit more sweaty in humid environments and there will be more bugs. I grew up in FL and now live in the high desert, so have experienced the extremes of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio