Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2006, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 36,855 times

Advertisements

We having been considering relocating from CA to San Antonio when we retire. We love the weather here in Cali. and realize we won't have that if we move. But tell me what its really like most of the time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 04:53 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
The weather in San Antonio is crazy. It's true what they say, though. "If you don't like the weather, stick around a few minutes, it'll change." I've been here so long that I am used to it now--some mornings in the fall/winter, it's cold enough for a jacket and a sweater when you leave for work, and by 10am you wish you'd worn shorts. The humidity is always high--if you have curly hair, it is going to get curlier. It snowed once here in recent history--I think in 1985, so we may be due for some! Rain, you say? Well, after 8 or nine months of rain dances, the weather gods try to make it up to us--so much rain the city practically shuts down! In a nutshell, it's either hot and dry (well, no rain but lots of humidity) or it's downright freezing from the Canadian winds we get thru here--there's one coming thru this Thursday, so we will be COLD!! And then there are a few glorious days sprinkled throughout the year that are truly magnificent. Few and far between, but they make life worth living!

You need a good central AC at home. Your car's AC will stay on most days. You'll want a pool, or to at least live in a neighborhood that has one. Keep your sweaters in a nice storage container, for those few days a year you'll need them.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
Very humid. For about nine months of the year it can feel like a blanket on you that you can never shake off, and most people don't like it. I'm one of the weird ones that like it, and I prefer it to the dry air in CA that contributed to cool evenings there. Our summer evenings are quite balmy to say the least. Sapphire covered winter pretty well too.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
San Antonio does get humid but it also depends on where exactly you live. If you opt to live closer to or even in the hill country like in suburban Boerne or even a bit further out, then you're much higher in elevation and it tends to be a bit drier and cooler, even on summer nights. It can easily be up to 10 degrees cooler at night and also cooler in the winter meaning you'll see a better chance of ice/snow then those further south in San Antonio proper. Elevations in the hill country to the north and west of San Antonio can exceed 2000 feet while the city itself ranges from about 600-900 feet, climbing gradually as you move further out.

The last big snowstorm was one of those 100 year storms. January of 1985...more than 13 inches of snow recorded at the airport while other areas had upwards of 15 inches. It hung around for almost a week!!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:03 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Default Humidity in San Antonio

Personally, I would have to say the humidity in San Antonio is tolerable. I lived on Okinawa (Japan) for 4 years. It is a very small island with 100% humidity all the time. We had to use heating rods in the closet to keep out the mold. My boss, from Mississippi, says it is nothing here compared to there, so once again it is tolerable here and A/C does help.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,269 times
I lived in St Loius for awhile and it's not nearly that bad. I also lived in the Washington DC area for 6 years and it's worse in DC. It's not nearly as bad as Florida, that's for sure. I was born and raised in San Diego, right on the ocean so I know great weather and this is not San Diego weather. That being said this past summer in SD where it was all kinds of hot and humid is pretty much how it is out here. The up side is that we all have a/c out here whereas in San Diego we did not. It sucked!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:20 PM

170 posts, read 761,850 times
It is pretty humid...so it all depends on if you're someone who likes this type of tropical weather. I personally am not crazy about it...on really humid days I can break out into a sweat on my forehead by just walking from my front door to my car.

I still have my a/c on today but luckily a cold front is blowing in tomorrow.

The humidity makes outdoor activities less than fun, at least for me....but once again it all depends on if you like this type of hot weather.

I agree what 940 said about the Hill Country...plus it is very pretty out there...

Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vburke003 View Post
We having been considering relocating from CA to San Antonio when we retire. We love the weather here in Cali. and realize we won't have that if we move. But tell me what its really like most of the time.
I was born in England and we lived in Maryland and Florida before moving to SA. Humidity is nothing.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:32 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Ever take a shower, step out and drip in sweat, ever felt like you could cut the humidity with a knife? Thats San Antonio.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:54 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,417 times
It's not easy to get used to, but it does make for much warmer evenings than on the West Coast. Humidity is pretty relentless during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio